Questions about the Hoyt-Schemerhorn Sts stations

VIP

Why did the (MTA) shut down the local tracks @ Hoyt? I remember back in 1993 the (C) using the original local track without switching after the Lafayette St station. was this change due to cuts? I remember distinctly that the (A) train used to open both sides of the doors for transfer to the (G)/©. if it was closed due to cuts, is it possible to rebuild the station or find use for the unused tracks? :confused:

Thats because whenever they renovate the station, they have to consider the external tracks in that (it would look weird for two platforms to look nice and the outside platform to look like hell). The local tracks are "used" but only by trains going into the court Street museum station (and that time where they displayed the R160). Officially, its non revenue track.

Here's the wikipedia page about the station itself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoyt_Street-Schermerhorn_Street_%28IND_Fulton_Street_Line%29

Track map

http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/pm_southeast_1.png

Really? no it hasnt those local tracks were used...that platform doesnt even look 60 yrs old

It doesn't look it because they haven't been used at all. The Court St Shuttle used to use those tracks and they indeed have been shut down for at least 60 years.

The original plan was that the IND. was going to terminate locals in Manhattan (Hudson Terminal) and Brooklyn (Court Street) and send only expresses through the Cranberry Street Tunnels.

However, The Great Depression and then World War II had an effect on the IND..

The (HH) Court Street Shuttle ran only Court Street to Hoyt-Schmerhorn Streets. The service was discontinued in 1946 and Court Street lay closed and dormant until it became the home of our Transit Museum.

When you visit our Transit Museum and go downstairs to visit the subway cars, those two tracks run to Hoyt-Schmerhorn Streets. The third rails on them is live as the tracks are used to move subway cars to and from the exhibit.

The outside local tracks lead directly to and from the Court Street station, now the home of the Transit Museum. They look "clean" because there are few humans around to disturb them, plus there's less lighting.

In the 1970's there was an Aqueduct Special station that used the Aqueduct station in Queens. Riders for that service used a specific stairway to the Brooklyn/Queens local platform to wait for that specific special train - the Aqueduct Special which opened its doors to that platform. The Aqueduct Special was a special non-stop train that charged an extra fare to take folks to the race-track. This was decades ago.

The TA has often allowed film and/or movie producers to use those outside tracks to film commercials and/or short movies.

When I lived in Brooklyn in the 1980's near the Lafayette Avenue station, that one time due to something happening in Manhattan, a CC train was told to pull into the Manhattan bound local side track, while an A-train pulled into the express track. The conductor on that A-track was specifically told to open the doors on both sides of the train to allow passengers to enter the train. Since the stairways to the platforms are closed, once we were placed there - there was no way to leave. I boarded the A-train and went to work - but I wondered about what the TA would do to that CC-train. They probably just reversed ends - pulled out of the station - reversed ends came back into the station on the express track whenever the emergency ended.

So yes, the Manhattan bound local platform/track can serve as a "pocket track" to place trains that have a problem could foul up the main tracks to Manhattan. The above happened only once in the 7 years I lived in Brooklyn.

Mike

Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets station is one of two IND. Brooklyn stations I call "special".

Like Jay Street-Metrotech, Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets has four tracks, but there is no express or local service as there are in other four track stations.

Rather, at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets, the (G) Brooklyn-Queens Crosstown Local uses the center pair of tracks while the (A)(C) use the next pair of tracks from the center while at Jay Street-Metrotech, the (A)(C) use the center pair of tracks while the (F) uses the outside pair of tracks.

Archived