Any One have Questions about Chicago Transit?

CHItransitFan88

I got a few since I'm very fascinated with the "L".

1. Is the CTA going to ever get around to removing the those 'express tracks' on the lower north side elevated by Sedwick and Chicago?

2. What is the top speed of CTA trains because they feel more like Philadelphia trains then NY with our strict signals?

3. Is Sheridan the permenate Purple Line stop on Cubs games days for now on? Because I heard they removed it from Addison for the Brown line reconstruction and never put it back.

I wrote a book about Chicago a few years back and put alot of "L" scenes and even put the extension that are still currently proposed.

I got a few since I'm very fascinated with the "L".

1. Is the CTA going to ever get around to removing the those 'express tracks' on the lower north side elevated by Sedwick and Chicago?

2. What is the top speed of CTA trains because they feel more like Philadelphia trains then NY with our strict signals?

3. Is Sheridan the permenate Purple Line stop on Cubs games days for now on? Because I heard they removed it from Addison for the Brown line reconstruction and never put it back.

I wrote a book about Chicago a few years back and put alot of "L" scenes and even put the extension that are still currently proposed.

1 Well technically there are no express tracks south of belmont on the north side mainline EL, tracks one and four are only designated express tracks after the brown line splits off at belmont. Also after the red line goes into the subway a bit south of Armitage it becomes a two track line.

Edit the tracks south of armitage arn't CTA express tracks they predate the CTA takeover of the "L" and I don't think they will do anything to them let mother nature take care of them her self.

2. At this moment 55mph is top speed. With new signals top speed will go up.

3. How long has it been since you visited Chicago? Addison is an island platform between red line tracks 2&3 the purple line Express hasn't stopped there since the station was remodeled in the early 90's (from side platforms to an island) It only stops at Sheridan Northbound I've heard the rationale is if your going south after a game it's probably not to the loop so there is no need for a southbound Purple Line express stop there.

Cool

1) How does the CTA determine the number of cars each train uses? I've seen in photos with trains consists of 2 cars and 8 cars.

I think only the Yellow uses 2 car trains.

Any slow zone elimination work underway/about to get underway on the Evanston Express?

Depending on the time of the week and the line the number of cars change, the only line with a set number of cars at all times is the yellow line that maxes out at two.

Well they are working on a plan to rebuild everything no the main line north of addison including totally remodeled higher capacity stations on the purple line.

3. How long has it been since you visited Chicago? Addison is an island platform between red line tracks 2&3 the purple line Express hasn't stopped there since the station was remodeled in the early 90's (from side platforms to an island) It only stops at Sheridan Northbound I've heard the rationale is if your going south after a game it's probably not to the loop so there is no need for a southbound Purple Line express stop there.

Cool

Like I remember when I went in 2002, the Pueple Line made the switcharoo from the express track to the local track and stopped at Addison. My friend then told they moved that stop to Sheridan when the Brown Line was being rebuilt. Yes, I think it was a northbound only service too. Only proved on game days.

Archived