A question about an Arnine in Maine..

R1103

There's a third Arnine car up in Maine, but it's not preserved, and has no trucks. It's #175..

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?1796

It was converted from service along with 170-to 176 to Alcohol Sprayer cars, renumbered 475AL. Here it is after conversion=

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?39152

My question is simple - How did it get there, and why would they send it there, if it was a work car, even after it's job was done???

Oh of course, but say if they could 'copy' a part, could it be possible and would it be used?

Sure it would be used, but generally it's way to expensive. On several of the arnines and Low-Vs, the builders plates are repros. There are somethings that you just can't get anymore though and that's way parts get taken.

Oh of course, but say if they could 'copy' a part, could it be possible and would it be used?

It's extremely difficult and cost inefficient to do that. If a car is a basket case, and another car is reasonably intact but missing parts, it is often the best course of action to pull parts off the basket case, restore them, and use them for the intact car.

In preservation, roofs are always at a premium so the basket case can be used to store parts or other materials to keep them away from the elements as much as possible.

Yes, while it would be nice to save everything in the end that was ever slated for preservation, it's not feasible. Preservationists do what we can, it's a constant losing battle, and you are always fighting time, so any help you can get with a car comes in very handy.

Oh, ok. No, I understand, I was kinda hoping that if there was a part that could be copied, after it is removed, then could it be done and be used as a spare since parts are so hard to come by. That was what I was wondering.

As for the donor, yeah I wasn't expecting that one to be fixed up.

In many videos I've seen Lo-Vs on fantrips I do not recall hearing any D3Fs on the Lo-Vs and believe me I put the volume as high as I can get it and hear no D3Fs what so ever.

They replaced them with in the last 2 years, they all have D3Fs now.

Archived