Benefits

blewisemt

Any one know how good are the city benifits and when do they kick in once you get hired?

It all depends on what city agency you work for and what title you're being hired for. With the (MTA) it takes 90 days before your benefits are active. With the case of my girl friend who works as a School Safety Agent for the NYPD, had her benefits kick in within less than 30 days. And with the (MTA) hourlies have inferior benefits than management and don't get life time coverage after retirement .

You still get health benefits after you retire, but you lose your vision coverage. My father is a retired hourly worker and he has Blue Corss Blue Shield. The MTA also pays to insure my mother and myself. In full disclosure, he has a Tier I pension. When you start working, you will be in Tier V, which is far less generous.

First, tier plans concern pensions, NOT health insurance, deferred compensation plans such as a 401(k), 457, Roth, etc., or any other benefits.

Retirement tier plans and health insurance benefits for retirees are not related, at least not for those who are enrolled in NYCERS. My NYCERS pension is the Tier 4 plan, but my deferred comp plans and health benefits come through OLR and DC-37 and my transportation benefits come via WageWorks. Union contracts generally determine all benefit schedules, but NYS and NYC retirement tiers concern pensions and nothing else.

Archived