Special train at Grand Central

SouthernRailway

Tonight on track 34 at Grand Central, I saw 3 1940s/1950s-era streamlined cars, one of which was a lounge-type car with windows cut into one end; one seemed like a former baggage car that had been outfitted with nice-looking furnishings and there was a third car. All were named "Silver" something (on the letterboard over the windows)- Silver Shore was one, I think. Just curious as to what this was?

I took a picture but can't figure out how to insert the image (it's not on a website).

I saw that thing, I shoulda photographed it but I was worried about being yelled at again. I thought it was some work car of some kind, I remember reading that MNRR execs have this old style car they use to go around the system with.

MNR does have an old car for inspections/executives, but it's not that old. It was still in service right before the M7's came, IIRC.

Yes, that's it (apart from Silver Chalet- no dome car at GCT).

I recall a Quad Graphics sign inside the train.

So the California Zephyr or its ilk finally comes to GCT.

Thanks!

Actually there was a period when a through sleeper would be on the Century to be switched in Chicago the next day onto the California Zephyr, among many other combinations that were similarly switched from around 1948 until the late '50's. The Three railroads that operated the CZ (Burlington, Rio Grande, and Western Pacific) all contributed to the CZ equipment pool. Also contributing one car to the pool was the NYC's arch rival, The Pennsylvania Railroad. It was a 10 Roomette, 6 Double Bedroom Budd sleeper, named "Silver Rapids",in stainless steel with California Zephyr letterboard, and PRR and Pullman markings. The CZ New York City car would alternate days between the NYC and the PRR. So once in a while, the PRR would make an appearance of a sort in GCT.:cool:

Here is a link to the current owners website http://www.calzephyrrailcar.com/California_Zephyr_Railcar_Charters/Silver_Rapids_files/new_Rapids_History.pdf

Archived