The BMT D-Type

Joel Up Front

Is it just me, or does "D-Type" sound a hell of a lot cooler than "Triplex?"

Anyway, why hasn't the (MTA) even glanced at trying out something like an articulated subway car again? Didn't these have any capacity problems when they were in service?

On the other hand, we're in 2011, I'm sure we can figure out how to make a subway car not weigh two and a half times as much as an R68.

Articulated cars would be a nightmare for repairs now. Instead of just repairing one car at a time, you'd have to take stretches of cars out of service to fix one part in one car section.

It's not different if it's not an "artic."

If one car on an R46/68/68A has a problem, all 4 are "lost"

If one car on an R160 has problem, all 4 or 5 are "lost".

That goes for all mated cars.

the artic trains design required them to be almost completely dismanted to work on them. mated sets simply need to be uncoupled.

Changing out a truck on an r160 is a heck of a lot simpler than one on a triplex.

Funny how this post of yours is completely the opposite of Bill's post above you (and he is a t/o).

Funny how this post of yours is completely the opposite of Bill's post above you (and he is a t/o).

I'm not sure what you are reading, but Kamen's post is not "completely the opposite" of Bill's. Kamen's post is just addressing a different aspect of maintenance. He never said that doing maintenance on one car would not pull the rest of the set from service. All he's saying is that to do work on the car of a married set, you need to dismantel the semi-permanent linkbars and isolate the car. This still pulls the entire set out of service.

On the same token, Bill never mentioned any specifics of maintenance on triplets or married pairs. He just stated that regardless of design, one car needing maintenance will result in pulling the entire set out of service.

So once again, I don't know what you're seeing here..... feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

No, they are both saying the same thing.

In order to work on EITHER a semi-permanent coupled set (like an R160) or an articulated car (like a D Type), all cars in the set must be removed from service.

However, what Kamen Rider is saying (and he's correct) is that when performing maintenance that involves de-trucking the car or accessing difficult to reach components, the cars must be physically separated.

In the case of a semi-permanent coupled set like an R160, it's fairly straightforward (even though it's more involved than with singles, obviously). Undo the linkbar, separate the cars, pick what you gotta pick, and service what you gotta service.

In the case of an articulated car (remember: truly articulated means they SHARE A TRUCK not just that they have a fully enclosed vestibule between cars - and the D types are FULLY ARTICULATED), BOTH cars sharing a truck must be removed from it and supported elsewhere. Meanwhile the truck gets shopped. And, of course, that makes moving SMS/overhaul cars around extremely difficult should extra space be needed. Then of course you have to put humpty dumpty back together again before it can move.

Archived