Just say no To Part-Time

CPBO

Part-Time Operators

The parties recognize that transportation demands are changing in New York City. To

meet these demands, the parties have agreed that the Authorities may utilize Part-time Operators

under the following provisions:

1) It is the intention of the Authorities to develop a variety of new service types and levels including subway/railroad feeder service, ***-to-curb type transit service, and/or circulator service using vans, mini-buses and passengers cars to meet the needs ofpublic transit. In addition, these provisions shall apply in the event that the Authorities detennines to perfonn any existing contracted subscription services or any portion thereof, with bargaining unit personnel. Employees employed to perfonn one ofmore ofthese types of service shall not perfonn existing fixed route bus service work.

2) For any ofthese new routes described above, the Authorities may hire employees to perfonn up to thirty scheduled hours ofwork per week at a wage rate to be negotiated by the parties. Ifa dispute arises over exact rates ofpay, the parties agree to make a joint request to the N.Y.S. Public Employment Relations Board for arbitration referral pursuant to Section 209(5) ofthe Taylor Law.

3) Employees employed to perfonn one or more ofthese types ofservice shall receive overtime pay in accordance with the provisions ofthe Fair Labor Standards Act and shall as a minimum standard be required to comply with motor vehicle licensing provisions.

4) Employees hired as part-time operators shall be recognized as union members subject to dues check offprovisions. Such employees will not receive any ofthe benefits described in the collective bargaining agreement and all work practices will be the subject offurther discussions between the parties. The Authorities reserve all ofits management rights with regard to part-time work.

5) A hiring preference will be granted to the Authorities' OA and T A retirees to the extent permitted by law.

So like I said this was ran by the union already. Let's see if they have a problem with it. They must not because TA is trying to offer the PT jobs as we speak.

Yes the had PT S/As many years ago and it was a disaster so they stopped it. They had part timers not showing up for work, leaving early, and even faking hold ups so they could steal money. I'm not joking.

Donald where are you getting you intel? All part time agents did their jobs because they would be offered full time soon just like these bus operators might. But they had a pass and some benefits. And people faking hold ups would more than likely be the main agents because they where responsible for the booth and money. I'm not saying assists didn't steal, but then again that was not just limited to them either. And they didn't stop it because it was a disaster either, TA stopped it with invention of the metro card. TA felt they needed less agents since we no longer dealt with tokens. I'm not gonna badger you Donald, but please stop making up things okay? And know your facts. If you're gonna start making things up again please go back on your sabbatical.

It was back in the 70s-80s..... long before any of you guys worked at the TA. My father told me.

Your fathrer the C/R told you this?. I highly doubt he did, being as most RTO people hardly know whats going on with stations, just as we know little that's going on with RTO. And somehow he managed to tell you what was going on with the booth, but not on the train?. You said you hardly talked to your father when he came from work, to explain to someone the little knowledge you had of the C/R's job. In all my 5 years down I have never heard a R.R. Clerk tell me what you told me. R.R. Clerk being the former title of Station Agent, and some one that's been down for at least 14 years or longer. Yes lots of people stole in the era of the token and still do today. But like I said this was not limited to PartTimers. Like I said before TA went with the metrocard and the whole afc system mainly to reduce jobs . Once the afc system was installed you no longer needed 2-4 people in the booth selling tokens to the hordes of people on line, at least this is what TA thinks. I'm sure the afc system was also installed to reduce thefts, but as long as money is around and someone is desperate thefts will occur, regardless if the person if fulltime or parttime. TA is doing this crap because they can. Mabstoa and MTA Bus B/O's are not civil service employees. They have civil service protections, but ultimately they aren't civil servants. So the TA can pull backdoor shit like this on them when they feel it necessary.

Yes, he told me just yesterday when I told him they were hiring PT B/Os after reading this thread. He said that PTers don't care about the job and that is why they dumped them. I have no motive to make it up. I'm just repeating what he said.

Yes, he told me just yesterday when I told him they were hiring PT B/Os after reading this thread. He said that PTers don't care about the job and that is why they dumped them. I have no motive to make it up. I'm just repeating what he said.

Why would a P/T S/A have no motive to do the job when they were civil servants, they had reduced benefits and a travel pass. And they also got paid the same rate as a fulltimer. And ultimately would be full time after a certain time. And in fact you had to be P/T during the late 80's and 90's before you could become a fulltime S/A anyway. Now maybe these new P/T B/O's may have that attitude, but I doubt anyone would take the job if they weren't interested in becoming full time someday. But anyone I'm done debating Donald, back to the topic of the thread now.

TA is doing this crap because they can. Mabstoa and MTA Bus B/O's are not civil service employees. They have civil service protections, but ultimately they aren't civil servants. So the TA can pull backdoor shit like this on them when they feel it necessary.

I haven't heard anything of this on the OA side.. There was another thread here by a driver on staten island that said TA wanted this in their new contract, as well as something else, otherwise they would not approve/sign a new contract... That's where I first heard this. Staten Island is TA, i.e. civil service... So I wonder if they can still legally hire P/T operators.... I would think they can b/c they do it with Toll Collectors/Bridge & Tunnel Officers... They hire them as provisional with a term of 1 yr. So maybe that is what they are pushing for.. Provisional drivers..

I'm just glad I got back in when I did b/c things look like they are gonna get a lot worse/less secure for the newbies coming in the future.

I don't like the idea of bringing in P/T or temp/provisional drivers... But if it only affects me in terms of OT, so be it. As long as they can't change anything in our contract to make us go P/T or something crazy like that.

I still say they are looking to cut in the wrong places to save money. Still wayyyy too many layers of management, and they need to find a way to be able to use funds from Capital and put it towards Operations. Then maybe they will manage the money better. It just doesn't make sense how they cry broke, but still blow millions and millions on construction projects that are not priority.

IF you own a house, and can't pay your bills.. Do you still make home improvements and get deeper in the hole??? Or do you maintain what you've got till you can get out of the red??? I don't get it..

I haven't heard anything of this on the OA side.. There was another thread here by a driver on staten island that said TA wanted this in their new contract, as well as something else, otherwise they would not approve/sign a new contract... That's where I first heard this. Staten Island is TA, i.e. civil service... So I wonder if they can still legally hire P/T operators.... I would think they can b/c they do it with Toll Collectors/Bridge & Tunnel Officers... They hire them as provisional with a term of 1 yr. So maybe that is what they are pushing for.. Provisional drivers..

I'm just glad I got back in when I did b/c things look like they are gonna get a lot worse/less secure for the newbies coming in the future.

I don't like the idea of bringing in P/T or temp/provisional drivers... But if it only affects me in terms of OT, so be it. As long as they can't change anything in our contract to make us go P/T or something crazy like that.

I still say they are looking to cut in the wrong places to save money. Still wayyyy too many layers of management, and they need to find a way to be able to use funds from Capital and put it towards Operations. Then maybe they will manage the money better. It just doesn't make sense how they cry broke, but still blow millions and millions on construction projects that are not priority.

IF you own a house, and can't pay your bills.. Do you still make home improvements and get deeper in the hole??? Or do you maintain what you've got till you can get out of the red??? I don't get it..

Yeah my girl used to do that temp BTO job a few years back. From what someone posted it looks like they would have these P/T people working on access-a-ride or maybe have them as shifters moving buses in the depots. I doubt TA will be able to negotiate this into a contract without giving us something really good back.

JUST SAY NO!! Bloomterd wants to cut pensions.....not that he has the right to do anything with the MTA, but I am sure this comes from something they over heard him say....Jay Walder needs to be put on part time bases and he needs his pension frozen and given to the homeless......Jay give back to the community for which you do a dis-service......you should be like bloomterd and donate your 50 thousand a year house expense to charity.....it is funny how all politicians want to cut our pension but what about them? health benefits for life?? This needs to be addressed....it should be stopped before we even think about cutting Social Security.....and I am aware of the argument of .."well they serve our country" but most of them use it to line their pockets and give people close to them big contracts....we really serve the people....I Move New York!! ....save our futures and JUST SAY NO!!!

Archived