Just say no To Part-Time

CPBO

Those of you that get this letter in the mail......

http://img690.imageshack.us/f/mtas.jpg/ for exam 2901.....do yourself a favor and say no to part time work.....

Just say NO....No to part time work!!! Full Time....trust me you are just a number around here.....just imagine being a part time number!!!.......You need to ask yourself this question....do I want to work for an Agency that fought it's workers tooth and nail on Raises that an arbitrator awarded....An Arbitrator awarded......that is a final....they spent who knows how much on legal fee's to not give us raises.....that we will get anyway.....An Arbitrator awarded.....It is still mind blowing to me that they fought it.....so now they will award you with part time work with no benefits.....when a full time position becomes available you will be first to get it....but who says that they will ever have a full time position to fill?? The whole Idea is to hire part-timers and not pay them any benefits....You should ask to speak to Jay Walder when you go to 180 Livingston street and ask him to take on part time work with no benefits.....this is a guy who gets a 50 thousand dollar a year house expense...that you will not make ever.......as a part timer anyway.....

Good Luck to all those that run down and take on part time work........don't let them use the economy against you.....

:mad:

I wouldn't call it Union Busting NJ Transit has Part Time Bus Operators why not the (MTA) why pay Operator to sit around idle for 4-5 hours while getting paid to do nothing it makes all the sense in the world to do this although there should be some provisions why no Benefits or Pass for travel that doesn't jive

I know on the TA side they got hip I know some Express trips out of Ulmer Park are interlined with Local routes to get the maximum work possible out of the operators

http://img690.imageshack.us/f/mtas.jpg/ for exam 2901.....do yourself a favor and say not to part time work.....you have worked so hard to get the the big leagues and all they want to do is offer you a minor league contract??? Just say no to Union Busting.....

Just for the fact that they wanna pay you less money and no benefits I can understand because you're part time. But no pass is just absurd. I would recommend people take the MTA bus job instead. :mad:

Well for me I wouldn't take MTA BUS if you can wait then wait. I was asked in 2006 if I could go to sprintcreek depot and help them guys out. I went there for a year to help with line training with the privately operated bus routes. It was a mess alot of the drivers from Command,Liberty Lines Express could not pass the 19a roadtest,drug test, they cold not follow the new rules that MTA gave them. Some guys would have a radio on when pulling into the depot and have the doors open. others would be smoking and driving. I can tell you this alot of people were very pissed about the take over and then to found out you have no contract with mta but your a mta bus drive now. but now they have something and started pay is $20.38 in some depot. they don't have 25/55. and the pass they have is green. but if you need a good go for it. good luck to all and if anyone wanted to know what depot I came from before I went to mta bus. it was gunhill :(

I know a lot of companies are trying to find ways to bring on new employees without having to give them health benefits, pensions, etc. This description basically makes it sound like you are contract worker for the MTA instead of a full employee.

Plus the hours the "part-time" B/O's would have to expect to put in each week can be up to 5 hours a day, which does not really leave enough time to realistically do other jobs

At least the (MTA) is still giving this as an option and not forcing it on anyone. I wonder if this is a trial of some sort to see if it would be a way for them to save money in the future.

http://img690.imageshack.us/f/mtas.jpg/ for exam 2901.....do yourself a favor and say no to part time work.....

Just say NO....No to part time work!!! Full Time....trust me you are just a number around here.....just imagine being a part time number!!!.......You need to ask yourself this question....do I want to work for an Agency that fought it's workers tooth and nail on Raises that an arbitrator awarded....An Arbitrator awarded......that is a final....they spent who knows how much on legal fee's to not give us raises.....that we will get anyway.....An Arbitrator awarded.....It is still mind blowing to me that they fought it.....so now they will award you with part time work with no benefits.....when a full time position becomes available you will be first to get it....but who says that they will ever have a full time position to fill?? The whole Idea is to hire part-timers and not pay them any benefits....You should ask to speak to Jay Walder when you go to 180 Livingston street and ask him to take on part time work with no benefits.....this is a guy who gets a 50 thousand dollar a year house expense...that you will not make ever.......as a part timer anyway.....

Good Luck to all those that run down and take on part time work........don't let them use the economy against you.....

If it were so bad, why hasn't our union step in and took this to court, or say something about this? Apparently, they don't care. The economy is bad, and you know as well as I do, that people will take the job, with hopes of becoming full time, as those full B/O positions open up. MTA is hoping on the fact, it is hard for people to find work, and that they will come work for them part time. With the hope of becoming full time, they will come. Will they be unionized, that is the question. If the union wants the unionized employees to be full time, then I guess they won't be...............

They have their CDL, they will be able to drive for other companies, truck or bus, part time also. Hopefully MTA doesn't tell them they can't drive for someone else. People are desperate, MTA is a secure company, even with the layoffs (the people got hired back, after TA realized they hurt themselves, but won't admit it). People know this, and want the opportunity to become what they call us. Fat, lazy, overpaid, dumba$$es. Remember, they call us that, cause they want to be one of us...........

I heard a rumor that in the current spring pick Laguardia has some runs that are a little over 4 hours.

If they get part time drivers, they will have some work the morning rush, then some do the evening rush. They can do school trippers also........

But like I said before, why wouldn't anyone take the MTA bus job over being part time for mabstoa?. Isn't the pension system they use the same as mabstoa?. Beside the slight difference in pay I don't see that being a bad deal. I mean you'll have full time work, benefits, and a mta bus company pass. Also you wouldn't be working close to full time work with a reduced salary hoping one day to be full time. And then still be on probation for a year regardless how long you were part time.

MTA Bus and Mabstoa pension are totally different. mta bus gets around $105 dollars a month for every year of service(20 years of service = $2100 a month pension check) Mabstoa is 25/55 at 50% of your best 3 years of 5 average(80K,65K,75K,65K,90K, they take 80K,75K,90K Divide by 3 = $81,666 / 12 months = $6805 a month before taxes plus your 401K and 457 if you contributed.

it would actually be half that.. you forgot the 50% part of the equation.. So roughly $3400/mo b4 taxes plus what ever else you have.. And each additional year you work over the 25/55 minimum, you get another % or point. So you do 30yrs, you get 55% instead of 50%..

Also, work rules are different, at least for the depots that are not local 100... But yeah, the pension would be the biggest deterent.. But it is better than nothing, which is what you get part-time.

AND.. having Part-timers will really eliminate any available OT for us full timers.. Good for the MTA. Bad for US. What little OT is left, would be gone 4 sure.

One of my old jobs in the outside world had

Yearly salary $32,000

40 hours per week (No ime and one half after 40 hours)x

Benefits

Company Car

Expenses

sick time

vacations

personal time

It was not perfect,but it was doable...I did it.

In 2008 when all was said and done EVERYBODY was

Making $12 per hour with only 28 hours per week.Thats right TWENTY EIGHT HOURS PER WEEK!!!

No more Company Car

Minimal expenses

No more paid vacations

MANY businessess on the Outside are electing to do part time/contract work.

What the MTA is Trying to do here by offering P/T work is NOT a good thing at all.This is how it starts and before you know it,driving a bus will now be a P/T job.Right now this is just in the suggestive stages.........IF this becomes reality then the job we all know what it took to get our foot in the front door will be a thing of the past.NOT GOOD........NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!!!

EVERYONE here who either works here or participates in these forums took the Civil Service tests went through the waiting period,the MAC BS,schoolcar...etc for ONE reason and ONE reason ONLY....to have a secure,halfway job that is nonexistent in the outside world.

THe MTA is now in its Infant stages to becoming like the outside world.....I do not like this one bit and nether should anybody here.

I was originally going to take a break from posting, but found this thread very interesting. Any chance they will expand PT workers to subways? What are the chances of seeing PT conductors and T/Os one day into the future? Those of you in subways should not breathe a sigh of relief because, like cancer, this PT nonsnse has the ability to spread (although nobody knows if it will).

I was originally going to take a break from posting, but found this thread very interesting. Any chance they will expand PT workers to subways? What are the chances of seeing PT conductors and T/Os one day into the future? Those of you in subways should not breathe a sigh of relief because, like cancer, this PT nonsnse has the ability to spread (although nobody knows if it will).
know knows but thats why we pay unions dues to fight against this but i dont see anyone saying they are gonna fight this part time work time for local 100 to step up and fight.............:mad:

As long as the part timers pay dues, the union does not care. Does anyone know if the PTers pay dues?
donald they are not part of the union they dont have any benifits not even a bus pass mta is attacking us because we won the raise so they are using part timers to cut extra overtime pay that why i said when is local 100 gonna put an end to this bull...t.:mad::tdown:

Well back in the days they used to have P/T S/A's to assist you at busy locations for a few hours. It really helped out a lot. I know everyone's against the P/T idea because it takes away from O/T, but we have learn to live on salary because O/T won't always be there. I've actually had some old timers say they were mad the TA brang back some laid off S/A's, cause they couldn't get as much O/T anymore. We all know some people will jump all over this P/T thing with the economy being the way it is. So don't be surprised when this becomes a permanent thing the TA does.

you will probably be the first part time conductor. that way people can laugh at you while you pay 2.25 to get into a terminal to sign in. mta will have you work 4 hours a day so you can make a rush hour trip, and you will be happy to take it so you can make your "conductor" father proud.

MTA Bus and Mabstoa pension are totally different. mta bus gets around $105 dollars a month for every year of service(20 years of service = $2100 a month pension check) Mabstoa is 25/55 at 50% of your best 3 years of 5 average(80K,65K,75K,65K,90K, they take 80K,75K,90K Divide by 3 = $81,666 / 12 months = $6805 a month before taxes plus your 401K and 457 if you contributed.

I was not aware the difference was that drastic in the pension systems. The TA is always trying new ways of screwing us. But like I said before we know some people are gonna jump all over this part time or mta bus job. Let's just wait and see what the union has to say about this. I know TA had to have ran this past them already, they must be cool with it.

Part-Time Operators

The parties recognize that transportation demands are changing in New York City. To

meet these demands, the parties have agreed that the Authorities may utilize Part-time Operators

under the following provisions:

1) It is the intention of the Authorities to develop a variety of new service types and levels including subway/railroad feeder service, ***-to-curb type transit service, and/or circulator service using vans, mini-buses and passengers cars to meet the needs ofpublic transit. In addition, these provisions shall apply in the event that the Authorities detennines to perfonn any existing contracted subscription services or any portion thereof, with bargaining unit personnel. Employees employed to perfonn one ofmore ofthese types of service shall not perfonn existing fixed route bus service work.

2) For any ofthese new routes described above, the Authorities may hire employees to perfonn up to thirty scheduled hours ofwork per week at a wage rate to be negotiated by the parties. Ifa dispute arises over exact rates ofpay, the parties agree to make a joint request to the N.Y.S. Public Employment Relations Board for arbitration referral pursuant to Section 209(5) ofthe Taylor Law.

3) Employees employed to perfonn one or more ofthese types ofservice shall receive overtime pay in accordance with the provisions ofthe Fair Labor Standards Act and shall as a minimum standard be required to comply with motor vehicle licensing provisions.

4) Employees hired as part-time operators shall be recognized as union members subject to dues check offprovisions. Such employees will not receive any ofthe benefits described in the collective bargaining agreement and all work practices will be the subject offurther discussions between the parties. The Authorities reserve all ofits management rights with regard to part-time work.

5) A hiring preference will be granted to the Authorities' OA and T A retirees to the extent permitted by law.

Archived