Woman raped in Soho after attacker followed her from subway

Trainspotter

A sex predator followed a 19-year-old woman from a SoHo subway station, grabbed her outside her apartment building and then raped her in a courtyard, police said.

The attacker chatted up the woman as she walked out of the Spring St. station about 4a.m. Wednesday after taking the train home from her job in Brooklyn.

"She was followed by an individual that asked her for a cigarette," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. "She then gave him a cigarette."

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - May 29, 2008

What a shame and to think, crime is going down in the city. The NYPD's CompSat is smoke and mirrors. This also goes to show you that you must be alert at all times no matter where you are. When I am at school up in Albany which has alot of crime, I am always watching my back and I have the State Police which is also SUNY campus police on my speed dial.

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - May 29, 2008

I don't care if she lives in a safe neighborhood,no 19 yr old female should be walking alone at 4am. This lowlife will get caught,it is just a matter of time. I am a light sleeper and have heard screams late at night on my block(muggings)both times I ran outside and the mugger ran away like a chicken. They look for easy targets yet once they get locked up they cry like a baby,wahhh.

I have to agree with locomotion. At 4 a.m., you have to be careful of who is following you. If you feel wary, or uneasy, you go to a more crowded spot, or stop in a lighted area if someone is following you, and let them pass. There are also legal size knives people can get, and they should get them, or some pepper spray. Now if the assailant has a gun, well then nothing much one can do.......

I agree with both of you guys too. But look at it like this. She probably has been going out in the am for years, and she felt a little too overconfident that she was safe in her city. It's too bad that there are people that have to do that to get off, and I hope she will be okay. There are IMO, at least 500,000 chicks in this city that are crazy fine! You know the kind that look so good you get chills up your spine? If you can't get 1 out of the millions here, then you have absolutely no game, and want to do crap like this. The only reason for this is some kind of mental problem. Sane people don't rape. To me it will never be that serious to get some. I'm sure they will make an SVU case out of this one.

Just goes to show that you always have to be on your guard, especially when traveling alone. It's always best not to walk by yourself after midnight, even if you know the neighborhood well, unless it's absolutely necessary. If you have to, it's best to stay on a double-way street until you reach your destination.

Archived