Subway - What If?

VWM

(J) No service b/w Hewes Street & Cypress Hills. Trains in between these stations stay at those stations until problem is cleared.

0: There's a better way to do this. Think about what I said CAREFULLY...

(L) No service b/w Myrtle-Wyckoff Avenues & Atlantic Avenue. Northbound trains b/w Broadway Jct. & Myrtle/Wyckoff Aves continue as normal. Southbound trains stop at the next station and stay.

+2: Only way to do this, good.

(M) No service b/w Hewes Street & Central Avenue (single tracked).

0: What about trains b/w Hewes Street and Myrtle Avenue?

(Z) Suspended. Other trains turn into (J)'s.

+2: Ok.

I think I have to solve this:

(J) / (Z): No trains b/w East NY Yard (using switches at Alabama Avenue, which aren't affected.) and Essex Street. Trains end at Crecent Street and then restart at Cypress Hills, double tracked b/w Crescent Street and Alabama Avenue (two shuttles)

(M): No trains b/w Hewes Street and 2nd Avenue, any trains along this section in Brooklyn stop and stay.

(L): No trains b/w Atlantic Avenue and Myrtle Avenue. Any trains in this section stop and stay.

Edited by Threxx

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(J) No service b/w Hewes Street & Cypress Hills. Trains in between these stations stay at those stations until problem is cleared.

+ 2

(L) No service b/w Myrtle-Wyckoff Avenues & Atlantic Avenue. Northbound trains b/w Broadway Jct. & Myrtle/Wyckoff Aves continue as normal. Southbound trains stop at the next station and stay.

- 1 This overloads the terminals. I honestly can't think of a better way to do this, though. :lol:

(M) No service b/w Hewes Street & Central Avenue (single tracked).

+ 1

(Z) Suspended. Other trains turn into (J)'s.

+ 1

How you like that, TSS???

Total: + 3

Even though I talked about how I didn't like suspending routes, I realize that a route like the (J)(M)(Z) in Brooklyn/Queens can be suspended pretty easily because it doesn't share with other lines. The trains can just get stacked up along the line. However, you can't stack up trains on a line where other trains have to pass through, e.g. suspending the (B) train where the (D) train shares tracks with it.

Edited by TheSubwayStation

In other words, what I said was that I completely approve of solutions that include "stop and stay" route suspensions as long as you're not expecting other lines to pass through the same tracks.

We get that lol

Next:

The following stations are:

Queensboro Plaza, (N), (Q), (7) (unusable, but passable)

Times Square-57th Street, (N), (Q), (R). (completely impassible, switches and all.)

Trains may not lay up at Queensboro Plaza or terminate there, and (7) trains must retain full TPH...

Edited by Threxx

Next:

The following stations are:

Queensboro Plaza, (N), (Q), (7) (unusable, but passable)

Times Square-57th Street, (N), (Q), (R). (completely impassible, switches and all.)

Trains may not lay up at Queensboro Plaza or terminate there, and (7) trains must retain full TPH...

(B) Runs all times b/w 34 Street-Herald Square & Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue, via Brighton Local.

(D) Via 6th Avenue Local.

(N)(7) Skips Queensboro Plaza.

(N) No service b/w 5 Avenue-59 Street & 34 Street-Herald Square, via Tunnel.

(Q) Suspended.

(R) No service b/w 5 Avenue-59 Street & Whitehall Street.

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

Let's get this thread back on track . . .

New scneario:

The express tracks at the Broadway-Lafayette (B)(D)(F)(M) station are out of service due to a sick passenger. Please reroute without 60 TPH on the local track.

(F) and (M): Normal.

(B): No service north of Prospect Park, any trains heading northbound run to Bedford Park and lay up at Concourse Yard. Any trains heading southbound north of W.4th Street continue to World Trade Center and turn there.

(D): No trains b/w 34th Street and Pacific Street. Any trains b/w W. 4th Street and 34th Street is follow the same plan as the (B)'s.

(D): No trains b/w 34th Street a

(B)(D) Trains run in two sections:*

...............Bronx to 34 St/Herald Sq.

...............34 St/Herald Sq to Brooklyn, via Broadway Exp and bridge.

(N) Trains run via the (R) in both directions between Canal St and Atlantic Av.

(Q) Trains run local between Canal St and 34 St.

* Any trains in the affected area stop-and-stay at the next station.

NEXT

All four local tracks are impassable at West 4 St.

Edited by NX Express

NEXT

All four local tracks are impassable at West 4 St.

(C): Via Express.

(E): 2 service patterns (bear with me)

1. 2nd Avenue-Jamaica Center, via 6th Avenue Express.

2. 34th Street-Jamaica Center, via 8th Avenue Local.

(F): Also two service patterns:

1. Uses express tracks south of W. Fourth Street

2. Via 8th Avenue express b/w Jay Street and 50th Street, then via 53rd Street.

(M): All trains en-route to Manhattan turn at Chambers Street, any trains heading towards 71st Street in Manhattan continue to 71st Street and lay-up at Jamaica Yard, any trains heading southbound follow the (F) solution and turn at 2nd Avenue.

I think that is good.

What on Earth has happened to this thread...

What are you talking about? We were just discussing each other's solutions.

Let's get this thread back on track . . .

New scneario:

The express tracks at the Broadway-Lafayette (B)(D)(F)(M) station are out of service due to a sick passenger. Please reroute without 60 TPH on the local track.

Here we go:

(B) Bedford Park Blvd - 34 St-Herald Sq; Brighton Beach - Whitehall St

(D) runs in two sections: 205 St - 2 Av (select trains terminate at 34 St); Coney Island - Whitehall St

To avoid overloading Whitehall St, select uptown (B) and (D) trains terminate at 57 St/7 Av and run via Broadway Express.

(M): All trains en-route to Manhattan turn at Chambers Street, any trains heading towards 71st Street in Manhattan continue to 71st Street and lay-up at Jamaica Yard, any trains heading southbound follow the (F) solution and turn at 2nd Avenue.

I think that is good.

(B)(D)(E)(F) on the 6 Av Express? No sir. I would just go with the 34 St.

I think that is good.

IMHO the (E) via 6th and the (F) via 8th at the same time should be avoided. Also, 6 Av Express trains cannot use 2 Av.

Here's my solution:

(A) Local north of 34 St and south of Hoyt St.

(C) Suspended

(E) Trains run express between 34 St and Canal St.

(F) Trains run either via Crosstown or via Cranberry and 53 St.

(M) Cut back to Broad St.

NEXT

14 St/8 Av is impassable.

Reroute: (A)(C)(E)(L)

(F) and (M): Normal.

+ 1

(B): No service north of Prospect Park, any trains heading northbound run to Bedford Park and lay up at Concourse Yard.

- 3 Unfortunately, that completely blocks the (Q).

Any trains heading southbound north of W.4th Street continue to World Trade Center and turn there.

+ 1

(D): No trains b/w 34th Street and Pacific Street. Any trains b/w W. 4th Street and 34th Street is follow the same plan as the (B)'s.

+ 1

(D): No trains b/w 34th Street a

Total: 0. If you just ran the (B) to Whitehall St, you'd actually have a great solution; maybe better than mine.

Total: 0. If you just ran the (B) to Whitehall St, you'd actually have a great solution; maybe better than mine.

(B) to Whitehall would be awful. Not only is it confusing but it causes switching which could delay the (R)(Q). The (B), which only has about 7-8tph, to Prospect works perfectly and wouldn't really get in the way of (Q) trains that much. If need be, terminate (B) trains on the Brooklyn bound local side; it crosses over the opposing tracks but takes less than a minute and causes no delays.

I think that is good.

Problem: (E) has to use the express tracks, which are already occupied with the (A) and (F).

(B) to Whitehall would be awful. Not only is it confusing but it causes switching which could delay the (R)(Q). The (B), which only has about 7-8tph, to Prospect works perfectly and wouldn't really get in the way of (Q) trains that much. If need be, terminate (B) trains on the Brooklyn bound local side; it crosses over the opposing tracks but takes less than a minute and causes no delays.

Terminating the (B) at Prospect Park creates switching delays on TOP of the relaying delays...Sure, turning the (B) at Whitehall means that two routes will be delayed instead of one, but it still works. Edited by TheSubwayStation

NEXT

FASTRACK on the 8 Av and 6 Av lines. Have fun.

Why would the (MTA) do them on the same night? :huh:

Remember, this is late night...

B, C, and M service ends early in Manhattan.

(A): No trains b/w 59th Street and Jay Street.

(D): No trains b/w 59th Street and Whitehall Street.

(E): No trains b/w World Trade Center and Lexington Avenue-53rd Street.

(F): No trains b/w Delancey Street and Roosevelt Island.