Floor sliding/shifting?

dmouse

I was on 9368 the other day, and every time the bud made either a right or left turn, the floor sections were sliding against each other back and fourth. It was the section between the rowed seating in the front and the horizontal seats against the wall. the floor was moving like about id say a few inches everyturn . then straightening back out after the turn.

Loose floor boards? or structural problem?

Seen versions of that on buses before, probably just age and maintenance not quite up to its part. The RTSes have more complicated floors than the O7s just the way they're built, more things to go wrong because of that. The fact it was happening on a turn though could be something more structural, maybe Blitz'll have an answer...

RTS floor is not really complicated at all, its just plywood glue and big rubber mats. Soft spots in these buses is not all that uncommon considering the age of the buses and the fact that new floors for them only come around every 8 years (8 year general overhaul). But if what you say is true and it was shifting only when the bus made turns, that's a HUGE structural problem. That bus should be take out of service immediately. Depending on what it might be, I wouldn't be surprised if this bus sees early retirement...

RTS floor is not really complicated at all, its just plywood glue and big rubber mats. Soft spots in these buses is not all that uncommon considering the age of the buses and the fact that new floors for them only come around every 8 years (8 year general overhaul). But if what you say is true and it was shifting only when the bus made turns, that's a HUGE structural problem. That bus should be take out of service immediately. Depending on what it might be, I wouldn't be surprised if this bus sees early retirement...

Yes only when it made turns... Oh crap. I dont know when someone on QV will pick that up. Hopefully soon however.

Yes only when it made turns... Oh crap. I dont know when someone on QV will pick that up. Hopefully soon however.

Considering its a QV bus, they probably won't pick it up until it completely fails on the road...

You also have to remember that there are different flooring types depending on the agency's specifications. The MTA fleet has RCA rubber flooring, and can shift once it becomes old. It has nothing to do with the structure at all, as its just wood, glue and rubber.

MTS RTS buses have a different floor covering manufactured by Altro. This floor type is better in my opinion and seems to be much more sturdy.

Many of you say "early retirement" a lot on the boards. That bus is almost 16 years old now. I call early retirement anything under 13 years old.

Archived