Can MNRR Trains go to Hartford?

BM5 via Woodhaven

The game plan (from what I understand) is for CDOT to take over operations on the Springfield line with the next few years. Amtrak would still run their long-distance trains (Vermonter) over this line. Windsor Locks station is schedeuled to be eliminated and replaced by a Bradley Airport station a few miles north. Windsor Locks is an Am-shack, with very poor parking facilities and no handicapped access.

Additional staions would be added (North Haven, Cheshire) once CDOT took over operations. The entire line needs to be double-tracked for any commuter service to be implemented.

We will just have to wait and see if this comes to fruition.

BTW, the last time passenger service was operated from Waterbury to Hartford was way back in 1955! There was a big flood that year that washed away one of the major bridges on that line. The bridge was eventually replaced, but passenger service was never restored on that line. The track would definitely need to be upgraded, as it sees sporadic freight service by the B&M. Passenger service on the Waterbury line is definitely not good for commuters. It has the worst service of any of Metro-North's lines. No through service (change at Bridgeport), first train arrives at GCT after 8 AM. For the evening commute, the train leaves just after 4 PM, and the next train isn't until just after 7 PM. You just can't use that line for commuting! I have a friend who lives near the Derby-Shelton station, and he drives to Fairfield station on the main line because the service is so pathetic!

neither is the Waterbury trains.

If the question is can the locomotives physically use those tracks to go up there, the answer is yes, but legally no since Amtrak has trackage rights to their hartford and springfield line.

The track conditon is probably very poor since noone really goes up there

Then let's extend the MNRR to New Britain. I am all for it.

YOU BEAT ME TO IT IT WILL IMPROVE RIDERSHIP ON THAT BRANCH AND allow LTD stop service on the main new haven line upto bridgeport

The game plan (from what I understand) is for CDOT to take over operations on the Springfield line with the next few years. Amtrak would still run their long-distance trains (Vermonter) over this line. Windsor Locks station is schedeuled to be eliminated and replaced by a Bradley Airport station a few miles north. Windsor Locks is an Am-shack, with very poor parking facilities and no handicapped access.

Additional staions would be added (North Haven, Cheshire) once CDOT took over operations. The entire line needs to be double-tracked for any commuter service to be implemented.

We will just have to wait and see if this comes to fruition.

BTW, the last time passenger service was operated from Waterbury to Hartford was way back in 1955! There was a big flood that year that washed away one of the major bridges on that line. The bridge was eventually replaced, but passenger service was never restored on that line. The track would definitely need to be upgraded, as it sees sporadic freight service by the B&M. Passenger service on the Waterbury line is definitely not good for commuters. It has the worst service of any of Metro-North's lines. No through service (change at Bridgeport), first train arrives at GCT after 8 AM. For the evening commute, the train leaves just after 4 PM, and the next train isn't until just after 7 PM. You just can't use that line for commuting! I have a friend who lives near the Derby-Shelton station, and he drives to Fairfield station on the main line because the service is so pathetic!

pathetic can not even begin to describe the waterbury branch AND RIDERSHIP IS STILL HIGH ON IT a waterbury train pulled in FULL!!!! noone can say there is no demand seriously waterbury service is basically like this here is what I think after seeing the schedule

THE SCHEDULE IS ONLY GOOD AT BLOWING!!!!

pathetic can not even begin to describe the waterbury branch AND RIDERSHIP IS STILL HIGH ON IT a waterbury train pulled in FULL!!!! noone can say there is no demand seriously waterbury service is basically like this here is what I think after seeing the schedule

THE SCHEDULE IS ONLY GOOD AT BLOWING!!!!

Well we'll just have to wait until all major projects are done.

Archived