Out of curiousity would Route 66 ever come back as an Interstate highway?

I really want to know if Route 66 can ever come back. Since I've read on the subject that most of the original route still exists is it possible that it can be restored and brought back? Is it also possible to build new segments to restore the ones that were removed? If it is possible I would like to see it happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Route 66 is a historic route at my link above, it's NOT Interstate-66... It's two different Routes, one is an US Route, another is an Interstate Highway...

Well I know that...

I am answering the question about if it is going to come back as an Interstate, which is no, because there is already an I-66.

Well I know that...

I am answering the question about if it is going to come back as an Interstate, which is no, because there is already an I-66

The Question by the OP doesn't state Interstate, you and Mark1447 is thinking it as an Interstate Highway, there is a completely different category known as US Routes.

My diagnosis:

In my opinion, it all depends on the US Government, State Government and Local Government. However, you can still trace the route at my link above (on my first post) there should be also plenty of "Historic Route 66" signs, markers and such along the way. In fact the Interstate Highway is what killed Route 66 according to Wikipedia. In our minds, and select local government's minds, Route 66 is still living and America's best route and will forever be an icon across the 50 states!

The Question by the OP doesn't state Interstate, you and Mark1447 is thinking it as an Interstate Highway, there is a completely different category known as US Routes.

My diagnosis:

In my opinion, it all depends on the US Government, State Government and Local Government. However, you can still trace the route at my link above (on my first post) there should be also plenty of "Historic Route 66" signs, markers and such along the way. In fact the Interstate Highway is what killed Route 66 according to Wikipedia. In our minds, and select local government's minds, Route 66 is still living and America's best route and will forever be an icon across the 50 states!

I know what a US Route is. You must never think I have been on the road or something...

We have plenty here in VA: US 33, US 1, US 250, US 60, US 360 and plenty more.

I know what a US Route is. You must never think I have been on the road or something...

We have plenty here in VA: US 33, US 1, US 250, US 60, US 360 and plenty more.

Cool, Route 66 is also a US Route running from Illinois to California, but the question is asking if it is going to return as an US Route, NOT Interstate Highway!

Archived