News 12 NJ: Customers upset over use of beetles in Starbucks drink coloring

KeystoneRegional

News 12 NJ - "(03/29/12) MARLBORO - Many across New Jersey may be enjoying a cup of their favorite Starbucks beverage without knowing exactly what they are drinking.

A recent report out on the company's ingredients has many of its customers upset over what it recently began using to color its Strawberry Frappuccinos: beetles.

The company is using ground up cochineal beetles, mostly found in Mexico and South America.

The ingredient is used in many other food products and is FDA approved.

Starbucks reportedly said it made the move in an effort to eliminate artificial ingredients from its products."

Source Link: http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=313582&position=1&news_type=news

I read about this sometime ago. Needless to say, it really disgusted me that Starbucks is still resorting to using "natural" color by using crushed cochineal beetles to dye their food pink. If you ask me, it's just as revolting as seeing patroleum-used food dye in packaged products.

-_- If only there's one joint that will actually use real fruit or to color their food instead of crap.

P.S.: This is also not the first time I heard about crushed bugs being used to colorize food, either.

A majority of the world eats insects for sustenance including East Asia, Africa, South America, and Central America. It's only when Westerners come in and condition people to think that large animals are the only acceptable sources of meat that we have problems like world hunger and oddly-colored Strawberry Frappuccinos.

In fact we might be drinking these insects not just in Starbucks but other places like McDonalds, and Froyo Dessert Shops like Pinkberry or Red Mango. It could happen, but really we've all consumed insects before, no matter when. Even during sleep... When one's mouth is open...

We are eating insects. You just don't see them. There are tiny skin mites and etc in food, and you are eating them. There is nothing disgusting in eating insects and spiders. Humans for centuries have been eating insects. They are a good source of protein, and raising and eating insects are more greener than raising a cow and eating it since cows produce methane and CO2.

Here is a video of people eating spiders in Cambodia.

Here is a link on insect eating. It's called entomophagy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_eating

Archived