The way SBS should be

Blitz

If you're gonna do SBS like that might as well go all the way and do Light Rail IMO.

Then again if you build LR then you would have to build a place to store & maintain the vehicles, wheres the SBS buses can just drive to and from the current bus depots.

But yea, with this method the "getting stuck in traffic is not a issue anymore, this is a major problem on the BX12 and the M15 S/B approaching the 59th Street Bridge.

This would certainty speed up the 44 between Fulton & Church, but this method can't applied to the B44 cause Nostrand is a one way street on this part of the route.

With that being said, the rendering in that link is pretty cool, it almost looks like a video game.

The MTA and NYCDOT has mentioned a similar idea to the M34+SBS, making portions of 34th Street Exclusively for BRT traffic, and local traffic going one direction. This never happened. I think the same also came for SBS15. Not sure about SBS12.

Webster Avenue can surely take that design, its a pretty big street. I hope that design could come in, but that I'm not sure with the amount of traffic turning along Webster / US Route 1(CBX - Fordham) portion. For sure Melrose Avenue I can see with ether mix traffic or curbed lanes. If you ban left turns, then MAYBE I can see this working. But for now, not sure.

I went to the open house and not a lot of folks were happy with design 3, which is that. Most suggested having signals for the BRT, rather then the regular signals in the street.

Yeah, this idea seems like a good idea until someone double parks and forces traffic to drive around them by using the bus lane. Of course in a perfect world if everybody followed the rules then option 3 would without a doubt be the best, but sadly it isn't.

And don't say that this will discourage double parking because if people have to unload/load stuff then they're not gonna park a block away only to have to walk back and forth to do so, especially in the cold/rain.

Archived