[Video] School kids in Greece, NY bully Bus Monitor Karen Klein.

KeystoneRegional

Guest Lance

You know, I'm sick and tired of this old excuse that cartoons, video games, and violent TV are the sole causes for irresponsible and reckless behavior of the youth these days. Anyone with half a brain should know that it's simply not the case. Maybe if some of the "parents" of these delinquents would do some bloody parenting every now and again instead of shoving their kids in front of the television and letting the boob-tube do their job for them, said kids might actually turn out just fine. But blaming the various mediums of entertainment for how your child(ren) turned out is just another excuse for these folks to not be good parents. The television does not influence the minds of our youth like that. I wish people would get that little factoid through their thick skulls. Besides, if my knowledge serves me correctly, bullying and the like has existed long before video games and the television were common household items.

Getting back to the issue at hand here, I'm not sure that a one-year suspension is the appropriate punishment for these kids. I mean, sure they do deserve to be punished, but I don't think giving them a 40-week (or however long the school-year is up there) extension to their summer vacation is the answer. What the hell are they going to do? Sit at home and play COD Modern Warfare on their XBox? They can't legally get jobs or anything because, if I recall correctly, they're around 13 years old. Are the parents going to ship them to another district so the kids can go to school for the year? In my opinion, those kids should be doing community service, like stuff around the school for instance. Don't "punish" these fools with vacation time. Punish them with actual work.

Well said Lance. I agree with everything you said below. As someone who been in education field for last 5 years, community service would help alot to "grow up" fast. Plus instead of playing on their xbox or watching tv be forced to watch and attend lectures of bullying victims in which has led to serious consquences as well.

You know, I'm sick and tired of this old excuse that cartoons, video games, and violent TV are the sole causes for irresponsible and reckless behavior of the youth these days. Anyone with half a brain should know that it's simply not the case. Maybe if some of the "parents" of these delinquents would do some bloody parenting every now and again instead of shoving their kids in front of the television and letting the boob-tube do their job for them, said kids might actually turn out just fine. But blaming the various mediums of entertainment for how your child(ren) turned out is just another excuse for these folks to not be good parents. The television does not influence the minds of our youth like that. I wish people would get that little factoid through their thick skulls. Besides, if my knowledge serves me correctly, bullying and the like has existed long before video games and the television were common household items.

Getting back to the issue at hand here, I'm not sure that a one-year suspension is the appropriate punishment for these kids. I mean, sure they do deserve to be punished, but I don't think giving them a 40-week (or however long the school-year is up there) extension to their summer vacation is the answer. What the hell are they going to do? Sit at home and play COD Modern Warfare on their XBox? They can't legally get jobs or anything because, if I recall correctly, they're around 13 years old. Are the parents going to ship them to another district so the kids can go to school for the year? In my opinion, those kids should be doing community service, like stuff around the school for instance. Don't "punish" these fools with vacation time. Punish them with actual work.

I'm too tired to post up the link, but they're going to be going to an alternative school for a year, and they're going to have to do some community service with seniors.

I'm too tired to post up the link, but they're going to be going to an alternative school for a year, and they're going to have to do some community service with seniors.

checkmate it already been mentioned. Still i don't think that 1 year suspension aka going to an alternative school will teach them a lesson though.

checkmate it already been mentioned. Still i don't think that 1 year suspension aka going to an alternative school will teach them a lesson though.

That's what I'm saying, though: I don't think an alternative school is the same as a summer vacation. I assume they'll still get schoolwork and all that.

Guest Lance

Well, that's good. I was a bit concerned that these kids were practically being rewarded for being douchebags to the bus monitor.

Well, that's good. I was a bit concerned that these kids were practically being rewarded for being douchebags to the bus monitor.

Well, even if the kids received an in-school suspension, they would still receive schoolwork (I don't know what would be the story with an at-home suspension). Most schools have some kind of suspension room where they give the kids the material from the classes they missed. If you think about it, it makes sense because kids who already have a record would get suspended just to get out of doing schoolwork.

Well, even if the kids received an in-school suspension, they would still receive schoolwork (I don't know what would be the story with an at-home suspension). Most schools have some kind of suspension room where they give the kids the material from the classes they missed. If you think about it, it makes sense because kids who already have a record would get suspended just to get out of doing schoolwork.

My high school had a program where students were forced to either do school work everyday or dropout of course that was for students that came to school to just hang out with their friends basically (we had a lot of them at our school). It was basically in school suspension kind of.

Archived