MTA Mulls restoring Service Cuts??? *Subway Comments Only Please*

RTOMan

Point #1: How about people just stop talking about proposals that the MTA pretty clearly wouldn't accept? I mean, we all can talk about where the (W) would go in our dreams, but it's not going to make it happen. What I really think the problem is with a lot of railfans is that everybody thinks they know what riders want...Pretty clearly, they don't always know, because they always disagree about it.

Point #2: Here's a realistic solution: (W) runs between Ditmars and Whitehall. Simple. Yeah, people are going to say that 4 Av needs service, but that goes back to point #1. Nobody has explained why the (R) isn't enough (besides just repeating "4 Av needs more service" again and again), and if it isn't enough, why would the MTA think it's worth buying more R179s to extend the (W)? Just my two cents...

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point #1: How about people just stop talking about proposals that the MTA pretty clearly wouldn't accept? I mean, we all can talk about where the (W) would go in our dreams, but it's not going to make it happen. What I really think the problem is with a lot of railfans is that everybody thinks they know what riders want...Pretty clearly, they don't always know, because they always disagree about it.

Point #2: Here's a realistic solution: (W) runs between Ditmars and Whitehall. Simple. Yeah, people are going to say that 4 Av needs service, but that goes back to point #1. Nobody has explained why the (R) isn't enough (besides just repeating "4 Av needs more service" again and again), and if it isn't enough, why would the MTA think it's worth buying more R179s to extend the (W)? Just my two cents...

Can you explain why my third and last paragraph written:

"I think the reason why you guys think it would cause delays mainly is because the trains basically run manually and are close to schedule (because of riders frequently get on and holding up the doors or when signal problems and breaking down rates develop). It's possible for trains to arrive at and leave a station at the same time. I know this because I studied and calculated it with the help of Google map and my time clock."

....is senseless besides Daniel? That's my only question....

Guest Lance

If you guys are all so smart then what do you suggest should be done to increase the frequency of local service on the Fourth Avenue Line that everyone needs? Come up with something, because I am tired of all this nonsense.

What's wrong with beefing up R-line service? I mean, there's all this talk about bringing back the W-line to Bay Pkwy, 95 St or some other South Brooklyn terminal, but few here are talking about just adding more R-trains to the line. This same thing comes up every time someone mentions Queens Blvd needs more service. "Let's send the M up there. Let's make the E local on the weekends." Sometimes the simple option is the better one. And yes, I'm aware of the car shortage. I'm speaking in general here.

I will say however that I do see the merits in bringing back the '04-'10 W from Astoria-Ditmars to Whitehall St as a supplemental Broadway service and as a way to get to/from Astoria to Lower Manhattan without transferring. (Even then, I still say that Broadway can be run more efficiently with just the N-, Q- and R-lines. The Q would remain as the full-time Broadway express to 57 St-7 Av and the N would be bumped up to or near current N/Q levels, both of which to minimize merging at the Herald Sq switches, as that's the biggest problem plaguing Broadway right now.) With that said, though, I don't see the benefits in sending the W into Brooklyn as a 4th Avenue Local because that would be an over-saturation of service. I will remind you that the south Brooklyn extension of the M did not see much ridership when it ran during the rush hours. Sending all the W trains down there throughout the day would be overkill to say the least.

Archived