MTA Mulls restoring Service Cuts??? *Subway Comments Only Please*

RTOMan

I can see the money going for increasing frequencies, though if any line is going to be restored, it'd be the (W). I don't know much about the bus service, but I'd say they'd restore some routes here and there.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, folks, now that we've already discussed what we want the MTA to do, what do people think that the MTA will actually do? Do you think that they're going to restore the (W)? Do you think that they will just focus on increasing off-peak frequencies? Or will they forget about increasing subway service and only restore bus service?

As much as I'd like to see the (W) return, I'm afraid that it isn't happening...

When/if phase 1 opens, I think they really should bring back the (W) and let the (N) run express in Manhattan again.

The only other alternative is they make the (Q) go to Astoria (as that seems to be more reliable than the (N)). Then send the (N) to 96th, but the (N) should still be express and they need to add extra (R) trains (some short turns at Whitehall).

When/if phase 1 opens, I think they really should bring back the (W) and let the (N) run express in Manhattan again. The only other alternative is they make the (Q) go to Astoria as that seems to be more reliable than the (N) and send the (N) to 96th, but the (N) should still be express and they need to add extra (R) trains (some short turns at Whitehall).

Yes, we've discussed what the MTA should do, but my question is about what you think they will actually do.

Bring back the W same format as before, Q goes to 57th

The C runs up to midnight

Increase weekend R service on have the M run weekends... I think the former will be more likely

Increase weekend 4/5/6 combinations of service. some help is needed there but it's debatable which line needs it the most

these are all for selfish reasons: bring back the midday 7 express service. increase late night service to every 15 minutes of every 20. I'd love weekend 7 express service but I know it can't be at the loss of local stations headway either.

Like I said the (W) will have to run rush hours on the Fourth Avenue Line to back up the (R) and to handle the loads on either the Sea Beach Line or the West End Line. So it will run down there. I don't believe the (J) / (Z) will run down there for reasons mentioned many times before.

In the end, all I see them doing is beefing up weekend service to pre-cut levels. FASTRACK has enabled them to do that without affecting the quality or quantity of the work done, especially as the program continues to expand to other corridors, those of which has been mention before (Concourse, Montague, Lenox to name a few)

In the end, all I see them doing is beefing up weekend service to pre-cut levels. FASTRACK has enabled them to do that without affecting the quality or quantity of the work done, especially as the program continues to expand to other corridors, those of which has been mention before (Concourse, Montague, Lenox to name a few)

That's a good point. I remember hearing that before the cuts, they often had to reduce service because of flagging and such, but they couldn't save money because of TWU requirements.

THE (W) IS NOT GOING TO BROOKLYN.

It's not necessary. How many times does that have to be repeated?

How do you know the W is not going to Brooklyn? Just asking because I want to see evidence and proof instead of just you running off your mouth that the W is not going to Brooklyn. ._.

Like I said the (W) will have to run rush hours on the Fourth Avenue Line to back up the (R) and to handle the loads on either the Sea Beach Line or the West End Line. So it will run down there. I don't believe the (J) / (Z) will run down there for reasons mentioned many times before.

No, keep the W going to Bay Parkway via West End Local. Let the N stay by itself.

(W) - Returns rush hours only, some runs to/from 86 St or Kings Highway, otherwise Whitehall Street to Astoria.

(Q) - Cut back to 57 St until SAS Phase 1 opens

Other increases:

(5) and (C) extended for about 1 additional hour on Saturday night (Bx29 and Bx39 do run a bit later on Saturdays so there is a precedent).

Division B weekend headways returned to previous levels ( (C) train this time will also run 8 minutes on weekends as well)

(G) extended to Queens Boulevard (weekends only).

(R) - cut from Queens Boulevard for about 1-2 hours on Sunday morning ( (R) shuttle morning hours expanded to be somewhat closer to (3) and (5) shuttle hours on Sunday morning). Either (E) will run local for extra 1-2 hours on Sunday morning, or the (G) will handle QB local stops by itself for about 1-2 hours.

THE (W) IS NOT GOING TO BROOKLYN.

It's not necessary. How many times does that have to be repeated?

YES IT IS NECESSARY! The (R) is failing at serving as the sole 4th Avenue local! The (W) needs to go to Brooklyn, even if it's just rush hours (but optimally weekdays & weekends to at least 9th Avenue) to help the (R)! Seriously, if you're saying it's not necessary, then you've never ridden the (R) in Brooklyn.

The dumbest idea I've ever heard in this forums. Seriously dude, did you even have any sense of what you just said? The section of the BMT Broadway between 57th Street and the connections to the BMT Astoria and IND Queens Boulevard lines is only two tracks. And it's kinda hard to tell if you were joking or not...No offense but think before you talk next time.

Chill dude, he's only 10.

_________

And with all the crap about what the (MTA) will and won't do, there are ways to force them to do what they need to do...

(R) - cut from Queens Boulevard for about 1-2 hours on Sunday morning ( (R) shuttle morning hours expanded to be somewhat closer to (3) and (5) shuttle hours on Sunday morning). Either (E) will run local for extra 1-2 hours on Sunday morning, or the (G) will handle QB local stops by itself for about 1-2 hours.

This makes no sense. The (R) shuttle should run less often, not more often. QB needs the service at that time.

And again, how often does it need to be repeated??? QBL riders do not want the damn (G). They want service to Manhattan.

You guys are starting to forget but the (Q) will go up to 125th Street. So there will be nothing to back up the (N) to Astoria if it's left alone. The (W) will have to come back at all times except for late nights. It would run from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Whitehall Street at all times except for rush hours when it will run from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Bay Parkway on the (D). This is the ideal situation. Any other options would be stupid and they won't help anyone out at all resulting in a waste of money.

(R) service by itself on weekends sucks. At least with the (G) ppl could take that to the next express stop for the (E)(F). Obviously the logical thing would be to add more (R) trains, but the MTA never does so.

Extending the (G) on weekends, just for the sole purpose of helping the (R), makes sense.

@ Roadcruiser1, the (N) can handle Astoria on weekends by itself, as it did before the service cuts (and it does now). Remember how R32 3838 said that there aren't enough cars for a (W) extension to Brooklyn? How do you respond? (I apologize if you already explained it; if so, you can link to the page where you explained, maybe.)

(sigh)... did I remember earlier in this thread RC telling me the (D) can handle the West End by itself, or that no extra (D) is necessary? Now all of a sudden the (W) is at Bay Parkway again... Then all of a sudden not only is a (W) there as a rush hour help for the (R), now its a 19/7 line like the (C)...

Yet I also heard someone saying the (R) needs help on the weekends in Brooklyn, and his last post doesn't address this at all. We all know about the (M) stuff on QB but that doesn't address Brooklyn, either as if Astoria needs two services on the weekend, which was not brought up at all.

Now I do know his "its my way of the highway, I live in the area, this way is the best, period" type of attitude, but even he's confusing himself now.

The (D) can handle the West End Line by itself. The trouble is where would the (W) terminate? Either it would have to be the Sea Beach Line or the West End Line. I used Bay Parkway because that was where the old (M) stopped at.

I don't know how the (MTA) can get extra cars. Maybe if they ordered a larger order of R179's. That way it would be enough.

(sigh)... did I remember earlier in this thread RC telling me the (D) can handle the West End by itself, or that no extra (D) is necessary? Now all of a sudden the (W) is at Bay Parkway again... Then all of a sudden not only is a (W) there as a rush hour help for the (R), now its a 19/7 line like the (C)...

Yet I also heard someone saying the (R) needs help on the weekends in Brooklyn, and his last post doesn't address this at all. We all know about the (M) stuff on QB but that doesn't address Brooklyn, either as if Astoria needs two services on the weekend, which was not brought up at all.

Now I do know his "its my way of the highway, I live in the area, this way is the best, period" type of attitude, but even he's confusing himself now.

I know you're talking about me, and I talked about QB because that was the topic at the moment. The (R) does need help on weekends, and the best thing that can happen is to run the (N) local & via the tunnel on weekends like the old (N), but no one wants that...

Archived