HBLR Quetion

MarkD329

I got my answer from another board. The reason for the left-handed running on the HBLR between Liberty State Park and 8th St Bayonne stations is for the "Bayonne Flyer" express trolleys. During the PM rush [when I rode the HBLR those times], the regular NB track is adjacent to the freight line that parallels the HBLR, and the trains switch tracks so the Flyer trolleys can go through the Richard St and Danforth Ave stations at speed without the fear of slowing down or hitting passengers when they get off at these two stations.

I got my answer from another board. The reason for the left-handed running on the HBLR between Liberty State Park and 8th St Bayonne stations is for the "Bayonne Flyer" express trolleys. During the PM rush [when I rode the HBLR those times], the regular NB track is adjacent to the freight line that parallels the HBLR, and the trains switch tracks so the Flyer trolleys can go through the Richard St and Danforth Ave stations at speed without the fear of slowing down or hitting passengers when they get off at these two stations.

Thanks for the post! I was wondering about this as well.

Also, during PM rush hours there are a few trains that terminate at Danforth Avenue from Hoboken Terminal.

Archived