orange tickets before Jamaica

Mtatransit

They are seat checks, to indicate who has paid a fare already so that after the next station stop the conductor only needs to see the tickets of people who got on at that station stop. That said, I've never seen them used on eastbound trains and only occasionally on AM Peak trains. They're everywhere on offpeak runs.

Seat checks, if used, are only used westbound. The top zone is for the number of passengers to Jamaica or points west. The numbers on bottom are punched if a passenger is getting off before then and represent the stations zone so that the conductor knows its a new passenger. They aren't used west of Jamaica because ticket checks occur both east and west of Jamaica.

• 3 weeks later...

They often use seat checks on the off-peak local trains from Atlantic Ave to Jamaica (those that stop at Nostrand Ave & East NY).

Really? Why? On an off peak train there's plenty of time to collect tickets between ENY and Jamaica...Atlantic Terminal ridership is very heavily peaked.

The LIRR ridership is very light off-peak (especially leaving Atlantic Ave anytime after 8:30am) due to the very high fares and infrequent service so there are very few passengers to collect tickets from. They won't use seat checks on the trains that go non-stop from Atlantic to Jamaica (weekday off-peak), but they use them all the time on the trains that go local from Atlantic to Jamaica (weekday off-peak). Heaven forbid an off-peak fare is overlooked.

Meanwhile, the Nassau County buses are quite crowded. And the new nonstop buses between 179th and mid-Nassau (Hempstead station or Roosevelt Field) have proven quite popular. I often have to stand the entire way on a 179th-St bound nonstop bus out of Roosevelt Field. I can only imagine how many more people will migrate to the Nassau buses once the LIRR raises their fares yet again.

Archived