Attack of the shorty buses in Suffolk too!

PinePower

Last week I saw 1068 and 1071 on the S58. Usually the S58 is assigned 35' buses, but on Thursday I spotted those two 30' Orion 7 buses on the S58. One pulled up on me on the S58, looked crowded enough, passed it up and waited for the next one an hour later. I know how crowded the S58 can be esp between Middle Island and Coram, its not rare to get standees even on a 35' bus!

CBS Lines never pulled that kind of stuff, but I guess equipment is tighter at Suffolk Bus. I know they seem to be having their fair amount of breakdowns, esp with the former CBS Lines Gilligs (5071-5081). 5077 tries to be a regular fixture on the S58, but it finds itself in the shop most of the time. Usually if they're desperate they'll put a 99 on there, but I guess last Thursday even those may not have been available.

Suffolk Transit could use more 40 ft Orions on several routes throughout the system.

They knew that when they ordered more 30 footers, Suffolk Transit is managed like a carnival shuttle, no planning, strictly reactionary because of the lack of infrastructure there.

They knew that when they ordered more 30 footers, Suffolk Transit is managed like a carnival shuttle, no planning, strictly reactionary because of the lack of infrastructure there.

Suffolk ordered the same amount of 30ft buses that they lost when they retired the 1997 Gillig Phantoms. All routes that ran 30ft buses in the past has a 30ft bus except for on.

Suffolk Bus Corp is at a disadvantage as they are currently down two, possibly three buses currently do to accidents. (5006, 1057, and possibly 1036). They also share their maintace bays with their sister company Suffolk Transportation Services at both yards, and since the school year is starting up I'm sure they probably had their school buses in and out to make sure they are OK. Also they are just coming off providing Service for the S47, which excepecally this year, they have transfered buses to keep service. The Bay Shore Yard had one less spare bus then they normally would have had with 5006 out.

Routes that need conversions to 40 foot:

S1,S33,S40,S47,S54,S58,S61,S92. That is all.

The S58 can get quite crowded. Looks like it's extention to Riverhead payed off a lot.

The S61 should have a * to it as it has 4 buses during the rush hours. The * should go to mean that you are talking about the two buses that run all day should be 40ft buses.

Archived