Verrazano-Narrows Bridge Project Awarded (with HOV lane)

GojiMet86

In any case, I don't think the S53/79/93, and all the express buses that get off at the first couple of exits will be able to benefit from it, since it's on the upper level (unless they tell the B/Os to cut across all those lanes before the toll plaza)

On a side note, I find it stupid that the SIE bus lane is HOV during rush hours, when you have a ton of buses using it, but off-peak, when you have a bus every 30 minutes in there, it's not an HOV lane.

Clearly not all buses will be able to benefit from the HOV lane on the upper level aside from those who currently use it (X10B, X11, X12, X17, X31, and X42). The original intention of the HOV lane (on the Verrazano segment) was really more geared towards express buses so that they had a seamless run from the Battery Tunnel all the way to Staten Island coming back to Staten Island which would help to lessen the commute for some residents, particuarly those on the Mid Island and further south.) I know because I was in communication with Vito Fossella during the push for the HOV lane some years ago. The thinking was once the HOV lane was in place on the Gowanus, why not extend it to the Verrazano? As for the S53 and S79, they don't really need it to be honest, nor do the other express buses that exit at that first exit coming back to Staten Island. Going towards Manhattan of course is a different story.

As for your other comment about the SIE being an HOV lane that was done that way because motorists were complaining about sitting in traffic while the HOV lane could accommodate more folks, not just buses, which I agree with. For a while the decision had been made to keep it a bus lane only and then adjustments were made to allow cars as well that had a certain amount of occupants. There are a decent amount of express buses but not so many that motorists with say 3 people in their car can't use it.

He was responsible for the creation and leadership of numerous public authorities which he could control without having to answer to the general public or to elected officials.

As head of various authorities, he controlled millions in income from his projects' revenue generation, such as tolls, and he had the power to issue bonds to borrow vast sums, allowing him to initiate new ventures with little or no approval from legislative bodies. This allowed him to bypass the usual power of the purse as it normally functioned in the United States, and the process of citizen comment on major public works

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Robert_Moses

are the creation of similar authorities illegal now or can someone still repeat what moses did?

As for your other comment about the SIE being an HOV lane that was done that way because motorists were complaining about sitting in traffic while the HOV lane could accommodate more folks, not just buses, which I agree with. For a while the decision had been made to keep it a bus lane only and then adjustments were made to allow cars as well that had a certain amount of occupants. There are a decent amount of express buses but not so many that motorists with say 3 people in their car can't use it.

Re-read my comment. I said that if you're going to allow HOV vehicles during rush hour when the lane is full of buses, you might as well allow them during off-peak hours. I didn't say that making it an HOV lane during rush hour was necessarily a stupid decision. I said that not making it an HOV lane off-peak was a stupid decision, because there's definitely plenty of spare capacity.

are the creation of similar authorities illegal now or can someone still repeat what moses did?

No idea.

Re-read my comment. I said that if you're going to allow HOV vehicles during rush hour when the lane is full of buses, you might as well allow them during off-peak hours. I didn't say that making it an HOV lane during rush hour was necessarily a stupid decision. I said that not making it an HOV lane off-peak was a stupid decision, because there's definitely plenty of spare capacity.

There's nothing for me to re-read because I didn't judge your comments either way. I simply stated how things were set up and why. In short you should be re-reading my statement.

Clearly not all buses will be able to benefit from the HOV lane on the upper level aside from those who currently use it (X10B, X11, X12, X17, X31, and X42). The original intention of the HOV lane (on the Verrazano segment) was really more geared towards express buses so that they had a seamless run from the Battery Tunnel all the way to Staten Island coming back to Staten Island which would help to lessen the commute for some residents, particuarly those on the Mid Island and further south.) I know because I was in communication with Vito Fossella during the push for the HOV lane some years ago. The thinking was once the HOV lane was in place on the Gowanus, why not extend it to the Verrazano? As for the S53 and S79, they don't really need it to be honest, nor do the other express buses that exit at that first exit coming back to Staten Island. Going towards Manhattan of course is a different story.

Tell me more about these connections or do you contact the mayors in power?

There's nothing for me to re-read because I didn't judge your comments either way. I simply stated how things were set up and why. In short you should be re-reading my statement.

...and I already knew how they were set up and why, so that was basically pointless.... That's how all bus lanes become HOV lanes: People complain about being stuck in traffic, so the DOT compromises.....

Tell me more about these connections or do you contact the mayors in power?

You just go to the different politicians' websites and look up their contact info. Some will be more responsive than others, so just type up a letter, and then copy and paste it, send it to each politician, and see who gets back to you. Some of them send a form letter, which is better than nothing, but that's basically ignoring you (For one of them, I sent out a proposal talking about the S93, and he sends me back a form letter talking about light rail over the Bayonne Bridge. SMH)

LOL... What mayors??? Vito Fossella (R) was a former Senator who represented Staten Island and parts of Southern Brooklyn.

He was a Congressman.

...and I already knew how they were set up and why, so that was basically pointless.... That's how all bus lanes become HOV lanes: People complain about being stuck in traffic, so the DOT compromises.....

Then why ask the question then?? It's obviously set up that way for a reason...

He was a Congressman.

You are so obnoxious with that. Yeah I typed Senator... I know... I had another Senator on my mind when I typed that... Relax... As if you never make any friggin' mistakes. I can't stand people that try to always correct other people like they're so damn perfect. I make plenty of mistakes on here and I often come back and correct them if I catch them but I just posted that not too long ago and here you come along correcting me... <_<

Then why ask the question then?? It's obviously set up that way for a reason...

LOL. What question? I said "On a side note, I find it stupid that the SIE bus lane is HOV during rush hours, when you have a ton of buses using it, but off-peak, when you have a bus every 30 minutes in there, it's not an HOV lane."

Tell me where you see the question mark in there.

In fact, the one question I did ask, you didn’t even respond to:

In any case, does this mean that the upper level will become 7 lanes wide instead of 6? Or will they take an existing lane (Either eastbound or westbound) and convert it to a bidirectional lane?

You are so obnoxious with that. Yeah I typed Senator... I know... I had another Senator on my mind when I typed that... Relax... As if you never make any friggin' mistakes. I can't stand people that try to always correct other people like they're so damn perfect. I make plenty of mistakes on here and I often come back and correct them if I catch them but I just posted that not too long ago and here you come along correcting me... <_<

Yes, OK, I'm getting so worked up over a little mistake that I need to "relax". :rolleyes:

I pointed it out. I didn't rub it in your face (Yeah, yeah, yeah, and you're going to come here with the crap of "Oh, you do it, but you don't realize it").

And no, I don't "always try to correct people". I love it when you bring that up, like I have some sort of obsession with correcting errors. (The same thing with you overexaggerating everything I do. Oh, he's nitpicking, oh, he wants the buses to be packed, oh, he's obsessed with cutting costs, always taking everything to the extreme). You posted the wrong office. It's understandable because there are so many different officials that most people can't keep track of who's who, and so I corrected it. That's it.

LOL. What question? I said "On a side note, I find it stupid that the SIE bus lane is HOV during rush hours, when you have a ton of buses using it, but off-peak, when you have a bus every 30 minutes in there, it's not an HOV lane."

Tell me where you see the question mark in there.

In fact, the one question I did ask, you didn’t even respond to:

In any case, does this mean that the upper level will become 7 lanes wide instead of 6? Or will they take an existing lane (Either eastbound or westbound) and convert it to a bidirectional lane?

Yes, OK, I'm getting so worked up over a little mistake that I need to "relax". :rolleyes:

I pointed it out. I didn't rub it in your face (Yeah, yeah, yeah, and you're going to come here with the crap of "Oh, you do it, but you don't realize it").

And no, I don't "always try to correct people". I love it when you bring that up, like I have some sort of obsession with correcting errors. (The same thing with you overexaggerating everything I do. Oh, he's nitpicking, oh, he wants the buses to be packed, oh, he's obsessed with cutting costs, always taking everything to the extreme). You posted the wrong office. It's understandable because there are so many different officials that most people can't keep track of who's who, and so I corrected it. That's it.

It seemed as if you weren't unsure in general, hence why I said question. As for the HOV lane I obviously didn't respond to it because I don't know the answer. As for your last comment, I make mistakes on here mainly because I come here for entertainment, not to be lectured about my mistakes. Like I said I usually correct my own mistakes on here, but you don't even give people a chance before you go jumping down their throats. If it was such a little mistake you wouldn't have even bothered. It's not the first time you've done it either. In short this is not my job nor a class. If you have a problem with my typos or whatever then don't read my posts. Simple as that.

It seemed as if you weren't unsure in general, hence why I said question. As for the HOV lane I obviously didn't respond to it because I don't know the answer. As for your last comment, I make mistakes on here mainly because I come here for entertainment, not to be lectured about my mistakes. Like I said I usually correct my own mistakes on here, but you don't even give people a chance before you go jumping down their throats. If it was such a little mistake you wouldn't have even bothered. It's not the first time you've done it either. In short this is not my job nor a class. If you have a problem with my typos or whatever then don't read my posts. Simple as that.

I said "I think it's stupid". That's not being unsure, that's stating my opinion.

And this is just more examples of you overexaggerating everything. Thank you for proving my point. Now suddenly I'm "lecturing you" and "jumping down your throat". :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have bother to do what? Write 4 words?

You're not going to tell me what to do. I'll read and correct or not correct whatever posts I feel like. If you get all hyped up and offended, that's not my problem.

So deal with it.

I said "I think it's stupid". That's not being unsure, that's stating my opinion.

And this is just more examples of you overexaggerating everything. Thank you for proving my point. Now suddenly I'm "lecturing you" and "jumping down your throat". :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have bother to do what? Write 4 words?

You're not going to tell me what to do. I'll read and correct or not correct whatever posts I feel like. If you get all hyped up and offended, that's not my problem.

So deal with it.

Suite yourself, but it's clear that take this forum far too seriously. For someone constantly looking to correct others you should worry about your own posts which have typos in them. I just wish a mod would come in and shut you up already. PITA know it all.

Suite yourself, but it's clear that take this forum far too seriously. For someone constantly looking to correct others you should worry about your own posts which have typos in them. I just wish a mod would come in and shut you up already. PITA know it all.

Ah, and he's still at it with the overexaggerating. Lovely.....

I love the way you continuously project all your issues onto me. You're one to talk about "being a know-it-all" and "taking this forum far too seriously". :lol: I don't have to look far for examples of that.

Yes, my posts have typos. I never denied that, and if somebody wants to correct them, let them. You know what? Since I'm supposedly so obsessed with every little error you make, I'm going to start correcting every single error you make. How does that sound? Then you'll really have something to complain about. In fact, I can spot one right off the bat in your post. And maybe as a bonus, maybe I'll bump a bunch of old threads a correct every little typo you made, since apparently I'm so obsessed with correcting errors.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case, I wonder what the lifespan of this new deck would be. The original deck lasted about 55 years, so I'm guessing maybe 100 years for the newer deck.

On a side note, when they replaced the lower level deck a few years ago (I'm pretty sure it was later than 2002, though), apparently they used a regular concrete deck, which was less flexible, and probably has a shorter lifespan: http://www.gpinet.com/userfiles/Verrazano%20Bridge%20Rehab%20of%20Lower%20Level%20Approach.pdf

OK SIE is a unique case so yeah I would allow NJT to serve SI at major transfer points only or on a closed-door basis. Then cars won't be needed on SIE HOV. However for other bus lanes they need to STAY as bus only lanes don't like it take the bus!!!! If you need to drive on HOV NYC is not for you.

OK SIE is a unique case so yeah I would allow NJT to serve SI at major transfer points only or on a closed-door basis. Then cars won't be needed on SIE HOV. However for other bus lanes they need to STAY as bus only lanes don't like it take the bus!!!! If you need to drive on HOV NYC is not for you.

What do you mean? When bus lanes are converted into HOV lanes, it's because people complain about being stuck in traffic. How is the SIE a unique case?

And in any case, driving in an HOV lane is better than driving alone. Face it, some people just aren't going to take the bus for whatever reason. Maybe they need the car during the workday, or maybe they just don't like dealing with transit. Would it be better if they were taking a bus or train? Of course, but if you can't get them onto the bus or train, at least you can encourage them to carpool.

Archived