Apple will make computers in the U.S. next year

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/06/tech/innovation/apple-made-in-us-cook/?hpt=te_r1

It's about damn time... We need more American companies being responsible and shifting production back here again. They've been making record profits off of Americans while unemployment sits at or about 8% and they call themselves an "American company"? What a joke. When they start making more products here in the US and not just pieces of products then I'll consider them. At least Cooke understands that they do have a moral responsibility as an American company to create jobs for Americans.

It's too bad the business environment here in the States isn't exactly appealing to corporations (despite the lobbying and bribes) in terms of taxes and regulations.

That's not quite true... There are some states that are very corporation friendly in terms of taxes. Doing business overseas isn't all that great either with rising wages and transportation costs. The advantage of having the know how of American workers still means something, plus you can get your goods out quicker, lower your transportation costs and perhaps get more folks to buy your product since it is American made (at least assembled here anyway).

I'm still waiting on that mass exodus of U.S. companies out of all these developing countries with next to no regulation/otherwise underpaying workers. I'm looking to becoming an accountant and I was genuinely pissed when I read that we were outsourcing ACCOUNTING tasks to places like India where they probably get paid 90% less than an American accountant would....

Getting back to this issue, I'm still waiting on our manufacturing to come back. I've been doubting the quality of the stuff we've imported (like the sewer grates that were made OVERSEAS and then installed in front of the new building at my school, have only been there for three months and already look like they're going to give) from day one.

Hmmmm... What that means to me is that this is a good opportunity from getting away from Windows Desktop support gigs for a while and start working for Apple as this move brings more opportunities for Americans such as myself. (Depends if I have to take a pay cut)

I can grab up a couple of official Apple IT certifications. The Comptia Net+ and A+ I have already and Apple would be more than happy to take that into consideration. I'm sure they will tell me to take the Microsoft MCTS certification and wipe my ass with it lol.)

In the IT field there is really no such thing as a secure and permanent job. Most of us work as freelancers working with several firms and private clients. However Apple is offering this as a welcome exception to the rule - job security in a hectic job market.

Kudos for Apple! It's about time!

I'm still waiting on that mass exodus of U.S. companies out of all these developing countries with next to no regulation/otherwise underpaying workers. I'm looking to becoming an accountant and I was genuinely pissed when I read that we were outsourcing ACCOUNTING tasks to places like India where they probably get paid 90% less than an American accountant would....

Getting back to this issue, I'm still waiting on our manufacturing to come back. I've been doubting the quality of the stuff we've imported (like the sewer grates that were made OVERSEAS and then installed in front of the new building at my school, have only been there for three months and already look like they're going to give) from day one.

Everything is a battle these days. Every field is facing the same sh*t. It's a question of how everyone deals with it. In my field some folks want and need quality, so they pay for it.

Wouldn't be surprised if Apple still charges an arm and a leg even if they manufacture within the States.

I think people wouldn't mind it if they were built here supporting Americans. The issue is charging that and making them overseas when the main consumer base is American.

I think people wouldn't mind it if they were built here supporting Americans. The issue is charging that and making them overseas when the main consumer base is American.

Agreed. Plus the fact as you eloquently stated in your commentary in the OP already highlighted that it is harming the economy particularly the job market. It's killing us!

Archived