WASHINGTON – In order to better meet strong and growing ridership demand on

the Northeast Corridor (NEC), Amtrak is advancing plans to acquire new

next-generation high-speed train sets and ending its plans to purchase 40

additional high-speed passenger cars to add to the existing Acela Express

fleet.

In early 2013, Amtrak will issue a Request for Information (RFI) to

formally start the process that will replace the existing 20 Acela Express

train sets and add additional train sets to expand seating capacity and

provide for more frequent high-speed service on the NEC.

“Moving directly to new high-speed train sets is the best option to create

more seating capacity, permit higher speeds, and maximize customer comfort

all while improving equipment reliability and reducing operating costs,”

said President and CEO Joe Boardman.

He explained that the previous plan to add 40 new passenger cars with newer

technology to the older Acela train sets was a stop-gap measure, posed

technical challenges and was determined not to be cost effective and

insufficient to handle new ridership growth projections.

And by the way. http://www.businessw...ed-acela-trains

Already expected this since 2008, since I have heard about this. While it seems very odd for these cars to be retired so fast, Amtrak wants the Acela service to be way faster. While it is 165 MPH max for the cars, Amtrak wants a much higher speed, to cut down on the amount of time from Boston to DC. Heh... they even wanna make it 1 Hour between Philadelphia and New York City.

Its like the HHP-8s [new looking] (along with the AEM-7), those are expected to be retired with the upcoming ACS-64 order.

More info on the project: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/453/325/Amtrak-Vision-for-the-Northeast-Corridor.pdf

Already expected this since 2008, since I have heard about this. While it seems very odd for these cars to be retired so fast, Amtrak wants the Acela service to be way faster. While it is 165 MPH max for the cars, Amtrak wants a much higher speed, to cut down on the amount of time from Boston to DC. Heh... they even wanna make it 1 Hour between Philadelphia and New York City.

Its like the HHP-8s [new looking] (along with the AEM-7), those are expected to be retired with the upcoming ACS-64 order.

More info on the project: http://www.amtrak.co...st-Corridor.pdf

It does make me wonder. You think Amtrak could use the Acela I trainsets on some regional trains?

It does make me wonder. You think Amtrak could use the Acela I trainsets on some regional trains?

I don't know. Those cars are much more premium looking then the Regional's Amfleet + AEM7/HHP8 set. Don't know if Amtrak would wanna put them there.

They could probably put some use to them on the Keystone Corridor, which is a High Speed Corridor.

What I still don't get is why are they saying these cars are good for about 20-25 Years, yet the Amfleets and AEM-7 has been here a lot longer then the Acela.. And THOSE are much more older in technology compared to the Acela I sets.

I don't know. Those cars are much more premium looking then the Regional's Amfleet + AEM7/HHP8 set. Don't know if Amtrak would wanna put them there.

They could probably put some use to them on the Keystone Corridor, which is a High Speed Corridor.

What I still don't get is why are they saying these cars are good for about 20-25 Years, yet the Amfleets and AEM-7 has been here a lot longer then the Acela.. And THOSE are much more older in technology compared to the Acela I sets.

This is just my guess, but Amtrak may not get another chance to replace the equipment when then next administration comes in during 2016 and who knows how Congress will be by then. The Viewliner order is an example of that. Amtrak was suppose get as many as 500-600 Viewliners in various configurations to run on the single level long distance trains. Amtrak only got 50 of them plus three prototypes.

16 years later Amtrak ordered 130 Viewliner IIs with options for 70 more. The 130 car order are basically cars Amtrak should have recieved 16 years ago, but never did. Amtrak is playing it safe by ordering the Acela II trainsets sooner in case it doesn't have the chance of doing so years down the road.

I would send em to the west coast.

This is just my guess, but Amtrak may not get another chance to replace the equipment when then next administration comes in during 2016 and who knows how Congress will be by then. The Viewliner order is an example of that. Amtrak was suppose get as many as 500-600 Viewliners in various configurations to run on the single level long distance trains. Amtrak only got 50 of them plus three prototypes.

16 years later Amtrak ordered 130 Viewliner IIs with options for 70 more. The 130 car order are basically cars Amtrak should have recieved 16 years ago, but never did. Amtrak is playing it safe by ordering the Acela II trainsets sooner in case it doesn't have the chance of doing so years down the road.

so the gov't will always be a hurdle to amtrak? becoming useful and frequent through cities? and have smaller branch lines what if commuter rail was privatized would that allow a big company to run regional rail lines in different cities across the nation?

I would send em to the west coast.

so the gov't will always be a hurdle to amtrak? becoming useful and frequent through cities? and have smaller branch lines what if commuter rail was privatized would that allow a big company to run regional rail lines in different cities across the nation?

I doubt Commuter Rail system would replace Amtrak completely and go to different states. Commuter rail is short distance... Amtrak is long distance service.. If i'm understand you...

If lets say.... Amtrak was out of the State of New York... I'm curious if the state would have the MTA take over the states Commuter Service... Heh Metro-North of course...

AMTRAK ADVANCES PLANS TO ACQUIRE NEW HIGH-SPEED TRAIN SETS FOR NORTHEAST CORRIDOR: In order to better meet strong and growing ridership demand on the Northeast Corridor (NEC), Amtrak is advancing plans to acquire new next-generation high-speed train sets and ending its plans to purchase 40 additional high-speed passenger cars to add to the existing Acela Express fleet. In early 2013, Amtrak will issue a Request for Information (RFI) to formally start the process that will replace the existing 20 Acela Express train sets and add additional train sets to expand seating capacity and provide for more frequent high-speed service on the NEC. “Moving directly to new high-speed train sets is the best option to create more seating capacity, permit higher speeds, and maximize customer comfort all while improving equipment reliability and reducing operating costs,” said President and CEO Joe Boardman. He explained that the previous plan to add 40 new passenger cars with newer technology to the older Acela train sets was a stop-gap measure, posed technical challenges and was determined not to be cost effective and insufficient to handle new ridership growth projections. Boardman made the announcement before a Congressional committee saying that in the past two years Amtrak has moved forward a number of major proposals designed to address the NEC’s growth and development needs. The proposals are detailed in the Amtrak Vision for the Northeast Corridor 2012 Update Report. First, is the NEC Upgrade Program to bring the corridor up to a state of good repair, add additional capacity to allow limited service growth, and make targeted trip-time improvements for all existing intercity, commuter and freight services. Among the elements is the Gateway Program to build vital track, tunnel and station capacity into the heart of Manhattan to support Amtrak and commuter rail growth. Second, is the next-generation high-speed rail program to provide America’s economic, political and cultural capitals in the Northeast with the world-class 220 mph high-speed service the region deserves. With possible operating profits over a billion dollars annually and ridership well into 40 million riders a year upon full build-out, Amtrak expects that private capital, probably in the form of a public-private partnership, could play a significant role in this project. Boardman said the international experience with high-speed rail projects is that “only after the public sector has allocated significant funding and committed itself to a project of this magnitude that the private sector is willing to enter the deal and deliver value for money.” Adding that, “[o]nce these services are generate revenue streams, these projects can and will attract private funding that can help repay initial capital costs.” He went on to say he is certain Amtrak has been a good steward of the NEC noting that he is “confident that we have mapped out a workable plan, and that our search for a truly regional solution to the challenges of capacity will be successful.” In FY 2012, Amtrak set a national ridership record of 31.2 million passengers, including a new record of 11.4 million riders on its Northeast Corridor services. In addition, the introduction of high-speed Acela Express service in 2000 has transformed the air-rail market in the Northeast. Today, Amtrak carries three passengers for every one airline passenger between New York and Washington, and carries more passengers between New York and Boston than all the airlines combined—making Amtrak not simply an alternative, but a preferred choice. (Amtrak - posted 12/13)

I doubt Commuter Rail system would replace Amtrak completely and go to different states. Commuter rail is short distance... Amtrak is long distance service.. If i'm understand you...

If lets say.... Amtrak was out of the State of New York... I'm curious if the state would have the MTA take over the states Commuter Service... Heh Metro-North of course...

nah maybe a for profit company that can link short distance with long distance with an extensive network that can compete properly with intercity bus. Create conditions that will allow several companies run intercity and commuter trains all over and some mixed trains as well.

• 3 weeks later...

nah maybe a for profit company that can link short distance with long distance with an extensive network that can compete properly with intercity bus. Create conditions that will allow several companies run intercity and commuter trains all over and some mixed trains as well.

Only problem with that is that there are few companies outside of Asia that are actually making profit when most they do is long distance trains.

You mean Asia and Europe.

No, I mean Asia. I said "few" outside. Yes, there are a few in Europe making profit of long distance travel but I can give you a list of those who aren't. It's longer than the ones who do make profit. In Asia this is bombing, in Europe it's a hit or miss and in the USA only the Acela Express is making profit so far (for trains that is, not counting in Greyhound).

No, I mean Asia. I said "few" outside. Yes, there are a few in Europe making profit of long distance travel but I can give you a list of those who aren't. It's longer than the ones who do make profit. In Asia this is bombing, in Europe it's a hit or miss and in the USA only the Acela Express is making profit so far (for trains that is, not counting in Greyhound).

Still part of Europe though.

Archived