Coney Island!

I thought of an idea while I was talking to Metsfan, Pablo and Orion on AIM in the chatroom. I suggested that since Coney Island is closing down the park this year. Some or most of us can meet up and take a trip out there to take as many pics as you of the park b/c next year it wouldn't be there. By saying that the pics can be a farewell to the park which have been sitting there for many many years. You can also rail and bus fan there as well. It can be done the middle of next month right b4 Labor Day and b4 school starts. I haven't thought of a date yet....pls feel free to suggest a date for everyones convenience. If you think its a bad idea...its cool. If you can't make it I truly understand.

Sucks that they are shutting down the park worst move since they closed the Playland in Far Rock.

IAWTP. Anything they do is going to take away from the "olde tyme" feel of Coney Island. Shooting galaries? Win stuffed animals? Sideshows? All sadly going to be replaced by newfangled "family" entertainment targeted for rich suburban families not a place for your average city kid and his/her friends...

Sure i'm in! If it's on a wed or thur i can bring the wifey! B)

- Andy

IAWTP. Anything they do is going to take away from the "olde tyme" feel of Coney Island. Shooting galaries? Win stuffed animals? Sideshows? All sadly going to be replaced by newfangled "family" entertainment targeted for rich suburban families not a place for your average city kid and his/her friends...

I agree that companies care more about profit than content these days, but so did the companies that built this whole country, well not all of them, but you get what i mean. The good old times are very much romanticized and dramatized, but coney island happens to be one of those places where all else aside you could go and have fun, literally the nation's playground. It is a far cry from the acres upon acres of cotton candy, newfangled edison bulbs lighting up the night by the pitch black sea at night that it used to be. In this institution's removal part of the soul of this country will die.

I will also promote a possible trip via ferry to highlands, nj & bike to the end of sandy hook to get some photos of all of coney island, including the soon to be shuttered amusement section. I will try to secure some timetables & such for the trip be it paper or online. It is a very interesting perspective of NYC... everyone's invited of course.

- Andy

Keep the Cyclone and Wonder Wheel going. I don't think those rides are going down anytime soon. I'm sad to know that all the other rides have to go. :o

The Cyclone is owned by the city I believe and cannot be touched. The Wonder Wheel I don't know about.

Archived