Bronx Man, 19, Is Killed in Shooting on the Subway

Trainspotter

Bronx Man, 19, Is Killed in Shooting on the Subway

By MICHAEL WILSON and COLIN MOYNIHAN

August 13, 2007

NEW YORK TIMES

A 19-year-old man was killed and three of his friends were wounded after a man they were arguing with opened fire aboard a subway car in the Bronx yesterday morning, the police said.

[float=right]bxvic190.jpg[/float]No arrests had been made as of last night, the police said.

The family and friends of the victim, Rayquon Story, gathered at the Hughes Avenue apartment where he had lived with his mother, Tornette Story, 37.

“He didn’t deserve this. They need to hurry up and find the person who did it,” Ms. Story said. She implored any witnesses to speak to the police. “Come forward,” she said. “Tell the police what they saw. What they know. Somebody saw something. Send a letter. Send a smoke signal.”

Ms. Story said that her son had been at a picnic. He and his friends then got on a northbound No. 5 train shortly before 2:30 a.m. and were arguing with another group, the police said. As the train approached the Dyre Avenue station in Eastchester, a man in the second group pulled a gun and fired several times, striking Mr. Story and his three companions, the police said.

They said the gunman fled the subway car at the Dyre Avenue station, an elevated platform.

Mr. Story was struck twice, in the neck and leg, and was pronounced dead at the scene, the police said. One of his friends, whom the authorities did not identify, was struck in the abdomen and was listed in serious condition at Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center, the police said. The other two men, also not identified, were in stable condition, with one man shot in the right arm and another in the right hand, the police said.

People milled outside the station long after the shooting, and the police kept the station closed for several hours yesterday as they searched for evidence. The station occupies a sometimes desolate section of the Bronx, with a strip of pizza shops and stores on one side and a dark pathway to Boston Road, past auto shops and an overgrown lot, on another.

Mr. Story’s friends huddled in groups near his mother’s home yesterday, reluctant to speak to the reporters. Others left notes of farewell at a little memorial of candles on the sidewalk.

“I love you Rayquon and I miss you,” read one. Another said, “For my cousin Rayquon, R.I.P.”

His mother said: “He was my only son. I just hope they find those people.”

Between the police and civilians getting killed in this city I'm just about had it already with all this violence. There's just way too many guns out in the streets. Something must be done and it must be done fast. Just two summers ago I watched this person shoot someone right on my block a few houses away. You never when it's going to happen.

Archived