Pope Benedict 16 to retire: New global head of Catholic Church to be selected by Easter

Shortline Bus

Indeed... It's good that he's South American and of Italian decent, but I just hope he isn't one of those stuck up Argentines, otherwise he won't relate to other Latin Americans as well.

Yep, and this should hopefully play over okay in Italy... Can't tell you how long Italians back in Italy have been b*tching about the fact that the latest popes weren't Italian. At least this guy is of Italian decent.

The way the church's demographics are changing to the majority in the 3rd world,, it might be a long while before an Italian-born Pope will be selected.

The way the church's demographics are changing to the majority in the 3rd world,, it might be a long while before an Italian-born Pope will be selected.

I know. This is why I said Italians will be some what pleased... It may get some Italians to follow the church more closely again... Italy, along with Spain, Portugal and France for that matter (the four big European Catholic countries that come to mind) have been losing interest (though Ireland seems to be holding strong, but Ireland is much small than the other countries mentioned), esp. with the latest scandals that have rocked the church and the skepticism that some Europeans now have with the Catholic Church and what they see as hypocrisy if you will.

Archived