NYC Transit reports that most subway cars are well air-conditioned

Trainspotter

NYC Transit reports that most subway cars are well air-conditioned

BY PETE DONOHUE

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

August 4rd 2008

alg_subway-heat.jpg

Gill for News

Ugh, it's hot! E train rider Mary Chepis has to fan herself in a car without air conditioning.

Baby, it's cool down there - except on the (E) train.

Subway riders on the E line have the highest chance of getting stuck on a sweltering subway car because of faulty air conditioning, NYC Transit statistics reveal.

An impressive 97.3% of all subway cars were adequately chilled by NYC Transit's standards when checked by transit workers in June and July, according to agency data.

The number of cars without air conditioning was cut virtually in half from 5.2% last summer to 2.7% this year.

But just 83% of (E) line cars were 78 degrees or cooler.

Some unlucky (E) train riders really were scorched. In seven cars out of 120 tested by officials, the temperature was 88 degrees or higher.

"It feels like you're in an oven," said Dean Doliscar, 23, of Brooklyn, after riding a hot-box (E) train. "I was fried. Everyone was uncomfortable."

The E line has the oldest cars in the system, making it difficult to keep some components at high performance levels. They were built in 1964 and 1965.

Riders on seven lines and two shuttles pretty much are guaranteed a comfortable ride, the statistics suggest.

The temperature was 78 degrees or lower every time cars were checked on the (2), (6), (7), (:D, (N), (L) and (M) lines, and on the Grand Central and Franklin Ave. shuttles.

"On a hot day like this one, I can't wait for the train," Denise Carmona, 30, a teacher from the Bronx, said while waiting for a (2) train. "It's cooler. You can breathe."

Marie Sharp, a nanny from Brooklyn, seconded that emotion.

"I am looking forward to getting on the train," Sharp, 46, said. "The heat outside is too much."

NYC Transit President Howard Roberts said he's made air conditioning a top priority, significantly increasing the frequency of in-car readings and putting a competitive twist to the maintenance program.

Maintenance superintendents with the highest percentage of cool cars get trophies. Those with the worst numbers get oversized thermometers that they must keep on their desks.

"It's something that we can do to make the ride [a] more pleasant experience," Roberts said. "That's part of our business."

Congats to the IRT (S), FAS (S), (7) and (:D lines!!

The other lines i think are fixed. I ride those lines and the A/C is not that good.

And to (E) lines riders, if you want comfort take the express bus! Like i do sometimes when i want a nice and comfy ride home.

Hmmm... about the (7), it's cool, but it feels a wee bit humid in there...

And the (E), what's that bs about it being hard to maintain the cars simply because they're old? They've been doing it every year since the GOH. It's probably because those cars are getting reefed soon so they don't see a point in repairing them.

Large thermometers?

these reports really looks like fixed. i don't see any "Straphangers' Campagin workers out there. they don't take these polls. they put (L) and (7) first cause they ahve managers tu

I agree 100% with this post. I find it hard to belive that daily commuters would say something nice about the MTA, and i find it ironic that the "good" commment was about an line with NTT on it. Wheres i walk in R40's 42's 46's 62/A's and hippos and its cooler than outside. The cars have A/C DUH!

I never see these straphanger campain people ethier, i don't even think they extist. Also the (7) is always having signal problems and how the heck is it always doing good in the studies? And the (L) line is over crowded and yet these two line are always winning.

Archived