MetroNorth train station platform lengths

Via Garibaldi 8

Well this morning was odd.... Our train was almost 10 minutes late and when it arrived, the train went past the platform and pulled up almost as if it wasn't stopping and then I guess it must've just opened the last four cars.  I've never seen that before.  What was the reason for this??

The island platform (tracks 2 and 4) at Spuyten Duyvil is only 4 cars in length.  More often than not the first four are used.  This weed is an exception due to the track outage as a result of the derailment.  .  All trains have been ordered to use the north four cars at Marble Hill in order to clear the interlocking north of the station in an effort to keep things running as smooth as possible.  WIth Spuyten Duyvil and Marble Hill being so close to one another, it's easier to use the same 4 cars for both stations.

You will never see this happen at Riverdale as both platforms are 8 cars in length.  Trains that stop at Riverdale are typically 6 or 8 car consists.

The island platform (tracks 2 and 4) at Spuyten Duyvil is only 4 cars in length.  More often than not the first four are used.  This weed is an exception due to the track outage as a result of the derailment.  .  All trains have been ordered to use the north four cars at Marble Hill in order to clear the interlocking north of the station in an effort to keep things running as smooth as possible.  WIth Spuyten Duyvil and Marble Hill being so close to one another, it's easier to use the same 4 cars for both stations.

You will never see this happen at Riverdale as both platforms are 8 cars in length.  Trains that stop at Riverdale are typically 6 or 8 car consists.

What is really strange is that Spuyten Duyvil is used more than the Riverdale stop so you would think that it would be the Riverdale station with the shorter platform and not Spuyten Duyvil. 

Riverdale has a lot more real estate around it to allow the larger platforms.  The track 1 (side) platform at Spuyten Duyvil is eight cars in length.  There isn't enough room for a larger island platform.

Track 1 as in the track closest to the parking garage right?  They need to do something about that because Spuyten Duyvil is used well especially during the rush hour.

Track 1 as in the track closest to the parking garage right?  They need to do something about that because Spuyten Duyvil is used well especially during the rush hour.

If only the (MTA) could do everything on their to-do list...

The parking lot there is too small as well which forces people to have to either walk there or take the Hudson Rail Link bus. 

I thought you were a fan of the Hudson Rail Link bus so why is the small parking lot a problem then?

I thought you were a fan of the Hudson Rail Link bus so why is the small parking lot a problem then?

Yes and no. I'm not wild about the buses but I tolerate them.  I would prefer to see bigger buses used that were electric hybrid buses or something that was more environmentally friendly and more 21st century.  Those buses are like cheese buses. <_<  While I support public transportation, the parking there is next to none and it's first come first serve.  Due to the lack of parking there, the buses have a hard time coming down to the Spuyten Duyvil station.  The Riverdale station has a much better set up in that regard.

Hudson_Rail_Link_Thomas_Saf-T-Liner_HDX_

For what we pay we should have much nicer buses.  The fare is the same for these buses as the local buses.... $2.50.  It's something that I've been thinking of writing to our community board about for a while now.

I wish I had the money to gripe about those "cheese buses" with their fancy trains going to the grandest train station in the world. 

Too bad I have to take all the Spanish buses from Ft Lee into GWB Terminal, the most disgusting building owned by the PA. 

Ironically, I work on Wall Street.

I wish I had the money to gripe about those "cheese buses" with their fancy trains going to the grandest train station in the world. 

Too bad I have to take all the Spanish buses from Ft Lee into GWB Terminal, the most disgusting building owned by the PA. 

Ironically, I work on Wall Street.

LOL! You moved to New York or NJ?  As for these buses, I've always hated them ever since I started taking MetroNorth.  I wish they had a front and back door like regular buses do to allow for a quicker entry and exit.  At the last MetroNorth hearing I went to for increased MetroNorth service to the Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil stations, one lady was complaining that she wanted to see smaller buses because she was concerned about pollution in the neighborhood and was also concerned about more Hudson Rail Link buses running. I on the other hand also want to see more environmentally friendly buses.  I find the current ones, dark on the inside, depressing and too small to handle the everyday needs of us Riverdalians.  For what we pay for our service we deserve better.

LOL! You moved to New York or NJ?  As for these buses, I've always hated them ever since I started taking MetroNorth.  I wish they had a front and back door like regular buses do to allow for a quicker entry and exit.  At the last MetroNorth hearing I went to for increased MetroNorth service to the Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil stations, one lady was complaining that she wanted to see smaller buses because she was concerned about pollution in the neighborhood and was also concerned about more Hudson Rail Link buses running. I on the other hand also want to see more environmentally friendly buses.  I find the current ones, dark on the inside, depressing and too small to handle the everyday needs of us Riverdalians.  For what we pay for our service we deserve better.

What do you expect those are built on school bus chassis.

Yes and no. I'm not wild about the buses but I tolerate them.  I would prefer to see bigger buses used that were electric hybrid buses or something that was more environmentally friendly and more 21st century.  Those buses are like cheese buses. <_<  While I support public transportation, the parking there is next to none and it's first come first serve.  Due to the lack of parking there, the buses have a hard time coming down to the Spuyten Duyvil station.  The Riverdale station has a much better set up in that regard.

Hudson_Rail_Link_Thomas_Saf-T-Liner_HDX_

For what we pay we should have much nicer buses.  The fare is the same for these buses as the local buses.... $2.50.  It's something that I've been thinking of writing to our community board about for a while now.

Damn, that bus almost looks like the rags they use on Dutchess' LOOP!

(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Dutchess_LOOP_Blue-Bird_CSFE3000_Transhuttle_420.jpg)

Yeah, that needs a newer bus indeed. Something like a New Flyer XD40 or a Van Hool A300L Fuel Cell (that one has a more American style for the USA market and has a fuel cell).

Damn, that bus almost looks like the rags they use on Dutchess' LOOP!

(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Dutchess_LOOP_Blue-Bird_CSFE3000_Transhuttle_420.jpg)

Yeah, that needs a newer bus indeed. Something like a New Flyer XD40 or a Van Hool A300L Fuel Cell (that one has a more American style for the USA market and has a fuel cell).

LOL! That bus looks even worse!!!  :o

Track 1 as in the track on the land side.  I don't know about any parking garage.  According to mta.info the station parking is FREE on street parking, not controlled by Metro North.  So who ever the "they" is, it would be someone other than the MTA's problem.

Track 1 as in the track on the land side.  I don't know about any parking garage.  According to mta.info the station parking is FREE on street parking, not controlled by Metro North.  So who ever the "they" is, it would be someone other than the MTA's problem.

The station itself has very little parking and no there is no garage but parking there is very limited.  Yes I do think MetroNorth should look into because they could perhaps maximize on ridership by having more parking available.  The streets that lead to the station are narrow and meandering and don't offer much parking, so the few parking spots there by Track 1 certainly don't cut it.

Archived