What to do with Riverdale / Kingsbridge Heights / Marble Hill / Inwood

tripleeye49

There are a fair number going from Norwood to Riverdale in the afternoon due to the Riverdale contingent at Bronx Science, and a ton go from Norwood to 231 St (hospital workers, the Riverdale/Washington Heights/UWS contingent from Bronx Science and Clinton), and so on. If we can match demand spikes between Norwood and 231 St with spikes coming off the train headed for Riverdale, then we can accommodate both sets of spikes with one set of peak through runs; that would save time and money on extra deadheads, and presumably those could be added to the base runs in a manner that causes them to arrive evenly interspersed with the regular runs when they reach 231 St. 

That's a ridiculous statement.  We are not overserved here.  What you don't know is that Riverdale is broken up by very steep hills and geography that makes the neighborhood appear to be served by tons of service, but that is not the case.  The BxM3 serves Downstairs Riverdale along Broadway as does the Bx9.  That's sufficient enough down there.  Upstairs Riverdale where I'm at, the Bx7 serves Riverdale Avenue and continues along Henry Hudson Parkway.  That is a main artery that is separated from Spuyten Duyvil so the Bx10 goes up the other hill to serve Spuyten Duyvil and then continues onto Henry Hudson Parkway and runs with the Bx7.  The Bx20 serves those who need the (A) train along that live below 239th and that service is needed because those in Spuyten Duyvil would otherwise be forced to pay a double fare and take the Bx10 and transfer to the Bx7.  As for our express buses, the BxM1 gives us access to the East Side which would otherwise be a long and painful trip taking the local bus to the (1) and then making one or two more transfers to get to the East Side.  The BxM2 is needed due to the (1) being local on the West Side, which saves a significant amount of time for those and cuts down on transfers.  And finally the BxM18 provides quick access to Midtown via 5th Avenue below 57th street, serving the heart of Midtown and also Downtown.  Riverdale needs its Downtown express bus service because you have some Wall Street workers that reside here (i.e. NYSE workers, etc.) and for those people the BxM18 makes what would be a long commute much more tolerable, shaving up to 30 minutes off of their commutes.

Finally due to a lack of parking at our MetroNorth stations, we need our Hudson Rail Link buses in order to provide adequate service connections to our MetroNorth trains.  Believe me we are not like Co-Op City who loves having tons of buses running through their neighborhood just because.  We are very environmentally cautious and don't want anymore buses running here than we need and more importantly we want more electric hybrid buses and clean air buses serving Riverdale to keep the neighborhood nice and the quality of the air good for the young children here, for which there are many.

We're already sacrificing. We've lost a few BxM1 runs to the East Side, including a Super Express Bus run during the mornings, which many residents were angry about because it meant that many seniors couldn't get to their doctor's appointments quickly as they could before and we only have the Bx10 overnight which only runs hourly.

Um, the Bx2 does NOT serve Riverdale and technically the Bx3 doesn't either.  238th is actually in Kingsbridge along Broadway, not Riverdale.  The Bx1 really ends at the Kingsbridge/Riverdale border, so I don't really consider that to be a Riverdale bus either, but to be technical since it ends at Riverdale Avenue, we can call that Riverdale.

Articulated buses would NOT work on the Bx10 due to the tight and narrow roads.  The only thing that needs to be done is to have the Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20 held better to their schedules because they come whenever they feel like it.  Just a few nights ago I was walking to the bus stop along Henry Hudson Parkway and saw not one but TWO Bx10 buses almost back to back and this was at night well after rush hour.  

The one thing I would do is have one more BxM18 in the morning.  There are many people that work in Midtown or Downtown that would benefit from the extra BxM18 and not just Riverdalians either.  I would also have our 22:30 BxM1 restored on Sundays along with the 23:40 BxM1 back to Riverdale so that those on the far East Side do not have to schlep to the West Side for the BxM2, especially our elderly population, which uses the express buses at various times of the day and night.

I would also have 30 minute headways on the Bx10 overnights since the Bx7 does not serve Riverdale at time.  It is simply too long of a wait for those who use the (1) train and live in Riverdale.

Well I see someone should stick to the Bronx.  Bx10 can't have artics due to the narrow twisting streets here in Riverdale.  You guys in the Bronx have a street grid.  There is no street grid in Riverdale and the narrow meandering streets makes having artics here almost possible.

The Bx10 can't serve Riverdale Avenue, Henry Hudson Parkway AND Broadway due to geographical issues... Something called hills...  <_<

That must have been some damn good coffee you had when you wrote that post. What brand is it? I wanna buy some for my tentative term papers for the RN internship  in school =D

OK back to the MTA Subways subforums.... +1.....

Vis a vis Kingsbridge Heights, what about extending the Bx2 down to River Plaza at the base of 225 Street? Instead of turning right at Bailey Avenue to head to 231 Street as the Bx1 does, it would turn left down Bailey and run to 225 Street. Because buses cannot be easily turned there, the Bx2 would then loop to a terminal at 218 Street...essentially at the front door to the Kingsbridge Depot. (The turnaround would be: left on West 216, left on 9 Avenue - run-ons and run-offs would not complete the relay, as the depot entrance is midway in the turnaround - and left on West 218 Street.) The Kingsbridge Heights neighborhood is dense and River Plaza is a major shopping area; the areas that would benefit from this would be Grand Concourse north of Bedford Park Boulevard, who would have a one-seat ride to a major shopping area and access to a hospital (Allen Hospital would be at the penultimate stop at Broadway and 220 Street).

The cost increase would also be minimal because almost 100 percent of the route extension would be current deadhead distance, and there is a subway connection at 225 Street.

So this was the thread started in spite of the Co Op one. LOL, I must admit the majority of this stuff is just hilarious. Some great ideas as well I must admit.

Vis a vis Kingsbridge Heights, what about extending the Bx2 down to River Plaza at the base of 225 Street? Instead of turning right at Bailey Avenue to head to 231 Street as the Bx1 does, it would turn left down Bailey and run to 225 Street. Because buses cannot be easily turned there, the Bx2 would then loop to a terminal at 218 Street...essentially at the front door to the Kingsbridge Depot. (The turnaround would be: left on West 216, left on 9 Avenue - run-ons and run-offs would not complete the relay, as the depot entrance is midway in the turnaround - and left on West 218 Street.) The Kingsbridge Heights neighborhood is dense and River Plaza is a major shopping area; the areas that would benefit from this would be Grand Concourse north of Bedford Park Boulevard, who would have a one-seat ride to a major shopping area and access to a hospital (Allen Hospital would be at the penultimate stop at Broadway and 220 Street).

The cost increase would also be minimal because almost 100 percent of the route extension would be current deadhead distance, and there is a subway connection at 225 Street.

Sounds fair, but reception may be a bit negative as by the description it seems as if the route in general may be compromised in regard to run time.

So this was the thread started in spite of the Co Op one. LOL, I must admit the majority of this stuff is just hilarious. Some great ideas as well I must admit.

Sounds fair, but reception may be a bit negative as by the description it seems as if the route in general may be compromised in regard to run time.

On the southern end, it may be considered as to whether or not to turn the Bx2 at 149 Street and 3 Avenue, which would eliminate the load of turns, especially in the northbound direction. I would put the last stop southbound for the Bx2 at the near side of 3 Avenue, and then use Bergen Avenue, Westchester Avenue, Brook Avenue, and 149 Street as the turnaround...layover on Westchester Avenue.

On the northern end, the increased distance would be about 8-9 minutes in running time, but as I have it planned, almost 100 percent of that distance is currently deadhead distance, given that Kingsbridge Depot is in the middle of the relay. A bus could also lay over right at Kingsbridge Depot and driver reliefs (if not bus changes) could occur in the turnaround.

On the southern end, it may be considered as to whether or not to turn the Bx2 at 149 Street and 3 Avenue, which would eliminate the load of turns, especially in the northbound direction. I would put the last stop southbound for the Bx2 at the near side of 3 Avenue, and then use Bergen Avenue, Westchester Avenue, Brook Avenue, and 149 Street as the turnaround...layover on Westchester Avenue.

On the northern end, the increased distance would be about 8-9 minutes in running time, but as I have it planned, almost 100 percent of that distance is currently deadhead distance, given that Kingsbridge Depot is in the middle of the relay. A bus could also lay over right at Kingsbridge Depot and driver reliefs (if not bus changes) could occur in the turnaround.

Sounds good. In that case I could see some improvements on the route, given the reduced deadhead and proximity to Kingsbridge.

Archived