Is last month path valid on the 1st day this month

arthurone

First off, this is a Metro North/LIRR forum. Not PATH.

Second, if you want the official answer try going to the PATH website or call their customer service number.

I wonder if he meant to write "pass" instead of "path"? Looks like that may be the case from the sentence structure 

If he does mean monthly commutation......

It is good for one courtesy ride on the first business day of the new month. Keep in mind that the new month's passes go on sale the 20th of the previous month. So August's pass went on sale the 20th of July giving passengers ample opportunity to purchase it ahead of time.

On the LIRR, you can use one courtesy ride on last month's pass on an AM peak train on the first business day of the month.

The tariff limits it to trains arriving/departing NYP/Atlantic/HPA/LIC before 10am, for the sake of the reverse commuter.

Rules like that are designed for people who live at stations without gray TVM's or ticket offices (like me) but are more regularly taken advantage of by people who forgot that it's the first day of the month.

Rules like that are designed for people who live at stations without gray TVM's or ticket offices (like me) but are more regularly taken advantage of by people who forgot that it's the first day of the month.

I decided to go through the station list and figure out which stations had only the red daily ticket machines:

Nostrand Ave

East NY

LI City

Hollis

Country Life Press

Carle Place

Medford

Greenvale

Inwood

Great River

Hampton Bays

Westwood through Hempstead Gardens, inclusive

More than I thought!

What's a "daily" ticket machine?  Unlimited trips for a day?  Never heard/saw of such a machine (haven't seen these at Freeport, Penn Station, Mineola, Atlantic Ave, etc).

Of course you won't see them much. According to people in the subway section, LIRR is only used for work and the Cannonball and those people have monthly passes anyway so no need for daily ticket machines.

I decided to go through the station list and figure out which stations had only the red daily ticket machines:

Nostrand Ave

East NY

LI City

Hollis

Country Life Press

Carle Place

Medford

Greenvale

Inwood

Great River

Hampton Bays

More than I thought!

Plus there's all the stations that don't have any sort of TVM or Ticket Office in the first place. Add all those in and you got quite a list of people who might not have their monthlies that first morning of the month.

What's a "daily" ticket machine?  Unlimited trips for a day?  Never heard/saw of such a machine (haven't seen these at Freeport, Penn Station, Mineola, Atlantic Ave, etc).

Daily ticket machines are red and say "Daily Tickets" on them. These machines only sell tickets like one-ways, round-trips, and maybe 10-trips. Full service (gray) ticket machines can sell all tickets, including commutation tickets (monthlies/weeklies)

Daily ticket machines are red and say "Daily Tickets" on them. These machines only sell tickets like one-ways, round-trips, and maybe 10-trips. Full service (gray) ticket machines can sell all tickets, including commutation tickets (monthlies/weeklies)

One ways, round trips, and MetroCards only. No 10 trips, getaways, weeklies, or monthlies.

For those who don't know, a list of non-special event stations without TVM's:

Pinelawn

Yaphank

Riverhead

Mattituck

Southold

Greenport

Bellport

Bridgehampton

Amagansett

Montauk

Nostrand Ave

East NY

LI City

Hollis

Country Life Press

Carle Place

Medford

Greenvale

Inwood

Great River

Hampton Bays

More than I thought!

I'm surprised any station has only red machines! (Shows you how much I know.) Any idea why?

A machine that doesn't sell ten-trip tickets or weekly/monthly unlimited passes. I've never understood the use of the term "daily" in this context.

But Montauk does have a ticket booth where you can buy all sorts of tickets and passes. It was newly reopend recently in the old station building.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=150003&start=15

A couple of east end stations had temporary ticket offices for the summer. They are only open Sunday evenings and they only sell daily tickets, I personally attempted to buy my monthly at the ticket office but I was out of luck. See my post in that linked thread.

And despite there being ticket offices at select stations, the station fare (i.e. no onboard surcharge) is still charged, even when they are open.

Archived