trip fordham university

nyctransit

I'm visiting Fordham University for a campus tour. I would be taking the 7 to GCT or to Bryant park for the D

If I take the metro north harlem line, would it save me a lot of hassle as opposed to taking the D? Would it be off peak fare since this is a reverse commute trip 10 am from GCT.

Do all cars operate at the botanical garden station? I'm a little concerned since I've heard nasty things about that neighborhood.

I'm visiting Fordham University for a campus tour. I would be taking the 7 to GCT or to Bryant park for the D

If I take the metro north harlem line, would it save me a lot of hassle as opposed to taking the D? Would it be off peak fare since this is a reverse commute trip 10 am from GCT.

Do all cars operate at the botanical garden station? I'm a little concerned since I've heard nasty things about that neighborhood.

Take MetroNorth. You won't have to deal with ghetto folks in the Bronx or panhandlers.  <_<

I'm not sure where exactly the metro north trains tracks are?

Is it upstairs from the 4/5/6?

lol... That's correct.  If you take the (4)(5)(6), come upstairs via the stairs or the escalator then walk towards the Main Concourse where you'll see all of the tourists.  There are several screens that show when trains are arriving and what tracks they are on.  You can also use this if you have a smart phone:

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/mstations/default.cfm

It's a little more chaotic during the rush hour, but when you come from Fordham it'll be a lot easier

And here are the schedules:

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/schedules.htm

Choose the Harlem line.

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/pdf/HARLEM%20MF_Aug52013.pdf

I provided the weekday schedule for you above.  Be sure to check the schedule because not all trains will stop there, though most do.

You can get your tickets at a few different areas on the Main Concourse.  There's one right by the News stand and another one closer to the 45th street entrance.

I just saw that the reverse commute is peak fare for me but I have the non-peak ticket. Can we pay the difference as we do on the LIRR?

Yes, you can pay on the train however it's cash only.  The step up on a zone 1 to zone 2 one way ticket is $2.

KO is Ronkonkoma and GY is Greenport and scoot is shuttle.

MNR has yet to do any formal pilot program with credit cards.  There was supposed to have been something done years ago but that was tabled due to high data costs associated with the TIMS linking up to the credit card servers.

We are due to get new TIMS next year and there are plans to start accepting credit cards when we get them.

Thanks all!

It was a nice and relaxing trip on the MNR. I'm sure the subway would have been a little longer and chaotic with the homeless guys etc

And yes it was $2 step up fare for me

Ya think? I've used MetroNorth the last two mornings and it's been lovely, though my train was a bit late today but other than that no complaints.  The only thing I've noticed of late is that seats on these trains are really DIRTY.  They need to change the material on them because they look pretty worn out.  <_<

KO is Ronkonkoma and GY is Greenport and scoot is shuttle.

MNR has yet to do any formal pilot program with credit cards.  There was supposed to have been something done years ago but that was tabled due to high data costs associated with the TIMS linking up to the credit card servers.

We are due to get new TIMS next year and there are plans to start accepting credit cards when we get them.

Here's another one for you... How often do they change the seats/clean them? The last two days I've been grossed out by the seats.  They just look like they've never been cleaned.

MNR conductors are issued TIMS? On the LIRR this was/is a pilot program, we still use punched duplexes for the vast majority of trians.

Metro-North conductors were issued some sort of electronic ticket printing system some time ago.  They just print the onboard ticket on a receipt, they don't handle credit cards or anything like that.

The LIRR still uses duplexes for the most part.  The pilot program is ongoing, but there was something in the news twoards the end of June that that program would be expanding sometime soon (I have not seen anything all that overwhelming, though).  The conductor on 2716 yesterday cut the person in front of me a ticket on a duplex, so I don't think the credit card readers are on every train (or even just ever Montauk train) just yet.

MNR conductors are issued TIMS? On the LIRR this was/is a pilot program, we still use punched duplexes for the vast majority of trians.

Yes.  Since 2008 all conductors are issued TIMS and as long as it's operational we are expected to use them.  If we choose to use duplexes with an operational TIM, disciplinary charges will be placed upon us.

In late 2009 a conductor was disciplined and ultimately fired for not using it as she felt it was unsafe due to the radio waves it emits (similar to a cell phone).

She subsequently sued the company and the final disposition was just filed last year.  After the lengthy law suit the court ruled against the former employee.

The TIMS we currently use are big bulky paper weights with a Windows based OS and is temperamental at best.  Next year we are due to get new iTIMS.  These will be iphone based hardware and OS.  I saw a demo of it a few months ago and it seems to be a significant improvement from what we currently use.

Archived