LIRR: Step up fare

sirtiger

Very cute, but with the increases coming in 2015 and 2017, I would wonder if MetroNorth would still look attractive in that scenario for the occasional rider.

I don't have a crystal ball so I can't say for sure.

I will say the national average of gasoline has risen more than a dollar a gallon over the course of the last 4 years as has auto maintenance costs and insurance costs as has many parking facilities I'm sure. 

Who's to say those costs aren't going to increase from now to 2015 and 2017?

I don't have a crystal ball so I can't say for sure.

I will say the national average of gasoline has risen more than a dollar a gallon over the course of the last 4 years as has auto maintenance costs and insurance costs as has many parking facilities I'm sure. 

Who's to say those costs aren't going to increase from now to 2015 and 2017?

They may but if you look at how the prices for the (MTA) have gone up across the board, they've been going up much faster than many staple items (i.e. cost of milk, bread, etc.)  In comparison, the prices for the (MTA) have skyrocketed.  Yes, their premium services are still affordable for some at higher income levels such as myself, but you have to wonder if some people will be forced to use alternatives.  I would imagine that a peak ticket from say Riverdale to Grand Central will easily surpass $10.00 one way, not including the cost for the Hudson Rail Link, so we're talking a good $13.00 or more one way by 2017 based on the latest increases, or $26.00+ a day for the occasional commuter using their service.  That's about what I spent on my lunch today.... (About $24.00 for a nice sandwich, a pumpkin corn bisque soup and a panna cotta with the tip to have it delivered).  In other words, you can have a nice little lunch delivered to you for that price or a nice lunch in Whole Foods.

That's about what I spent on my lunch today.... (About $24.00 for a nice sandwich, a pumpkin corn bisque soup and a panna cotta with the tip to have it delivered).  In other words, you can have a nice little lunch delivered to you for that price or a nice lunch in Whole Foods.

No wonder you complain about the fares!  A $24 lunch!?!?!  You just might have to cut back to an, inexpensive, $15.00 lunch!

No wonder you complain about the fares!  A $24 lunch!?!?!  You just might have to cut back to an, inexpensive, $15.00 lunch!

lol... That's actually cheap for me for lunch... I don't eat breakfast so lunch is pretty important since dinner may be a salad from Whole Foods, take out, or just organic cereal and skim milk depending on my mood, but my point was that with those fares you can get a nice lunch even at say $25.00. This is what I think about when I consider buying a 10 pack at $82.50 when I already have the express bus pass. I'd much rather spend that money on a nice big lunch or dinner.  Hell with $82.50 I can go to one of Daniel Boulud's restaurants there in the city.

I take the LIRR locally 4 times a week ($6.00 * 4 = $24) so the weekly pass they apparently have for local travel doesn't pay for itself because that's $27.50, and those Fridays I have off add up so the monthly ($89) doesn't help, either.  Yes, driving would be more expensive, but considering how I still have to take another bus just to get to the ENTRANCE to my school and wait for a shuttle and I could do more with a car than just go to school...

I would take one of the "express" routes but that bus home always misses me, and after two weeks last winter being stuck outside in the cold, I'm rethinking why the hell I take such a crazy route to get home.

I take the LIRR locally 4 times a week ($6.00 * 4 = $24) so the weekly pass they apparently have for local travel doesn't pay for itself because that's $27.50, and those Fridays I have off add up so the monthly ($89) doesn't help, either. 

Is it during off peak hours you ride?  Commutation passes are rarely worth the expense unless you travel at least once a day during peak hours.

Is it during off peak hours you ride?  Commutation passes are rarely worth the expense unless you travel at least once a day during peak hours.

Those are intermediate fares. (LIRR travel in the same or adjacent zones, outside of NYC, are $3 one way with the exception of 12 to 14)

Archived