"Impaired" (translation: DRUGS) driver crashes into school bus, causes fire, in CI

Joel Up Front

Bus and Jeep catch on fire, unlicensed driver on drugs  gets out unscathed!  The mugshot kills it, though, along with how charred that bus is.  The bus driver was able to get two wheelchair-bound students out quick before anything happened, too:

image.jpg

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/cops-impaired-driver-causes-school-bus-crash-1.6094401

A school bus driver got two children in wheelchairs to safety minutes before the bus -- hit by an impaired driver in a Jeep -- caught fire Wednesday in Central Islip, police said.

Tyajia Anthony, 29, of Central Islip, hit the minibus head-on after crossing the double yellow line as she drove south on Connetquot Avenue near Ridge Avenue, at about 8 a.m., Suffolk police said.

The crumpled front of the SUV burst into flames after the crash, and the fire quickly spread to the side of the bus. There were no serious injuries, according to police.

Saverio De Vivo, who lives near the crash scene, called the bus driver a "hero" for getting the boys out before the fire started.

De Vivo said he was watching television when he heard a loud bang. "My house shook," he said. "I went outside and tried to help out."

De Vivo said he helped comfort the boys, providing them with blankets as police and medics arrived.

The driver of the Suffolk Transportation Service school bus and the four passengers -- two 5-year-old boys and two adult aides -- were taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, police said.

The adults were treated for minor injuries, and the children did not appear to be injured, police said.

Anthony, of 27 East Cedar St., was charged with driving while ability impaired by drugs and aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. She was being held until her arraignment Thursday, police said.

The bus was providing service to the Association for the Help of Retarded Children-Suffolk, police said.

Suffolk Transportation Service officials could not be reached for comment. The identity of the bus driver was not released.

Connetquot Avenue was closed for hours in both directions between Windsor Place and Bayonne Avenue because of the crash.

http://longisland.news12.com/news/police-tyajia-anthony-of-central-islip-was-high-on-drugs-when-she-crashed-into-school-bus-1.6094342

Court documents say that Anthony told police, "I'm not drunk, I just smoked a little weed last night." She also refused to submit to a blood test, so authorities secured a search warrant to take her blood.

This idiot should never be able to operate a vehicle again in her life.  She's lucky an innocent helpless person strapped into the bus in a wheelchair didn't die in a fiery hell because of her actions.    Heroic bus driver indeed!  I'd say revoke her license but we already see having no license doesn't stop her!

I wonder who the SUV was registered to?  IMHO there should be a law that also charges the idiot who would let someone like this use their car!  If it was her car she was driving illegally it only supports my opinion that someones car should be booted or impounded (at their expense) while their license is revoked or suspended.  Or you register a friend or family members car in your name after their license is revoked or suspended (or let them borrow your car) and they screw up AGAIN, rest assured the police will coming to jail soon after they are booked!  It SHOULD be that simple!

Archived