I'm a little confused about applying for the upcoming CR exam

R1Toasty

So it would appear that the conductor exam has finally been posted, but I'm confused about the whole process of applying... heck, I'm not even sure when the test date really is. Can anybody offer their thoughts and/or experience with this... I can't seem to find a clear answer on the website.

So it would appear that the conductor exam has finally been posted, but I'm confused about the whole process of applying... heck, I'm not even sure when the test date really is. Can anybody offer their thoughts and/or experience with this... I can't seem to find a clear answer on the website.

Well you can not apply for the C/R test until 9/3 just once that time comes print up the application and apply for the exam. I dont know the exact date of the test it will probably be in November or December dont quote me on it. They will mail you the admission ticket like 3 weeks before the test and it will tell you the location and time be sure to check the time cause they have AM and PM tests if there are alot of applicants.

I got a 99.8 on it when I took it 3 years ago I was list number 2224 so remember it takes time to get hired so keep your options open. Apply for Metro North or LIRR Conductor they make good money if your interested in the real railroad.

Once you get called down there the first day they give you alot of paperwork to fill out. They also want you to bring in your actual ss card, birth cert, any court dispositions letters (this is so important I forgot mine and had to wait for the next class). Then after that they will schedule you for the medical depending if you have all the materials they asked for.

The medical is fairly easy before you see the Dr's and do the hearing, audio, sight and interview with the quacks they make you do a computerize questionnaire. A little advice my father told me is SAY NO to all the questions anything you say yes too will delay you more cause they are gonna want you to goto your doctor and get files so unless it was something serious that you were admitted to a hospital for don't put it down.

Once thats all squared away you will be sworn in that same day thats how it went for me and here I am today a Conductor whoo hoo !

I was going thru a bad time when I got hired I was working at a crappy company that wrote me up for missing 2 days of work to go be with my dad who had a heart attack. So this job couldn't have came to me at a better time because I was trying to get fired from my other job so I could collect unemployment lol but they wouldn't fire me. I realized in the end that I am glad I didn't get fired because I didn't wanna have that on my work record.

Anything else you wanna know feel free to ask as I said before dont got take the test and think you will get hired in 4 months. It takes time so keep your options opened and check other railroad agencys.

Thanks for the info Bruticus. A few more things, do you know anything about people from out of state applying and if there's anything special I need to do for that? Also, what's the test like? I have the passbook but I've heard the real test isn't much like it.

Thanks for the info Bruticus. A few more things, do you know anything about people from out of state applying and if there's anything special I need to do for that? Also, what's the test like? I have the passbook but I've heard the real test isn't much like it.

Sorry for the delay I was moving into my new apartment, I dont think theres no conflict of taking the test and living out of state. I think that you have to be living here by the time of appointment once the notice of examination comes out I will read it and let you know. I never studied for the test or had any guides I am good at taking city exams I got a 98 or a 99 if I am not mistaken. It basic common sense in customer service.

I always told people that asked me if a city test is hard If you cant read or write don't take the test lol.

Dave you live in PA? Do you by any chance take the Martz Bus to the Water Gap, if so I may have seen you at one time last year. I was shocked to see an (NYCT) T/O in uniform get off the bus there. That commute must suck.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. It's my first choice for a job I'd like to have so whatever you all can help me out with means a lot to me. From my understanding the test shouldn't be too hard, and that's one of the important parts of getting the job, right?

...Bruticus, if you don't mind me asking, are you in an apartment in NYC somewhere... err, Bronx, I see that in your information now. How's the neighborhood? I've been looking for some general ideas of areas in the city that would be good to move to.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. It's my first choice for a job I'd like to have so whatever you all can help me out with means a lot to me. From my understanding the test shouldn't be too hard, and that's one of the important parts of getting the job, right?

...Bruticus, if you don't mind me asking, are you in an apartment in NYC somewhere... err, Bronx, I see that in your information now. How's the neighborhood? I've been looking for some general ideas of areas in the city that would be good to move to.

Funny you asked me that I just moved into my own apartment here in the same building I been living in for 22 years lol. This general area is nice I have no complaints here depends where you wanna live. I mean if you get in the B division then you would wanna live around queens or brooklyn. I am in the B division as road extra now I am hoping to pick something in the (A), (B), (C), or (D) lines when I am able to pick a job.

If your in the A division most them jobs start up here you got the (1)(2)(4)(5)(6) all up here. Are you single or married ? Rent can be a bit pricey too but alot of the bad neighborhoods have the cheap rents lol.

Funny you asked me that I just moved into my own apartment here in the same building I been living in for 22 years lol. This general area is nice I have no complaints here depends where you wanna live. I mean if you get in the B division then you would wanna live around queens or brooklyn. I am in the B division as road extra now I am hoping to pick something in the (A), (B), (C), or (D) lines when I am able to pick a job.

If your in the A division most them jobs start up here you got the (1)(2)(4)(5)(6) all up here. Are you single or married ? Rent can be a bit pricey too but alot of the bad neighborhoods have the cheap rents lol.

Hmm, that's good info...I'm keeping my options open and plan on taking the tests (for T/O as well), who knows, by the time they call I may desperately want the position I may be content doing what I'm doing, but it's definitely something I could've always seen myself doing since little...C/R or T/O hah...right now I live in Manhattan, but still with my folks because a small monthly stipend beats full fledged rent or living with people I don't really want to, but that's a pretty inconvenient borough for reporting locations. Im hoping to move to Bx or Bk when I find people I want to live with (aka fun but responsible and NOT slackers) but they're all younger than me, still in school and what not, so I have to wait for now.

Cool, I guess I don't have a lot of say which division I get into, right? Anyway, I'm single, but my good friend wants to go work at the shops fixing trains and we were thinking about getting an apartment to share because: 1) it would probably be cheaper to split the rent, and 2) the ladies tend to prefer him over me when given a choice, so I think there could be some benefits coming my way if I was around him B).

Cool, I guess I don't have a lot of say which division I get into, right? Anyway, I'm single, but my good friend wants to go work at the shops fixing trains and we were thinking about getting an apartment to share because: 1) it would probably be cheaper to split the rent, and 2) the ladies tend to prefer him over me when given a choice, so I think there could be some benefits coming my way if I was around him B).

heheh..."fallout" go for it, you can be like Turtle on entourage...

Screw living with other people living by yourself is the best man trust me I am loving it. My best friend is calling my place the slut haven cause he thinks I brings females over every night lol.

yeah, definitely would prefer to live on my own, don't know what the rent is gonna run though on getting my own "playa pad" :cool::cool: so I might have to share a place with a friend or two. But separate rooms etc. are a requirement, none of this school style life, I've had enough of that...people leaving their junk everywhere, stealing stuff from the fridge, asking to borrow your stuff..."those days are done" ;).

Archived