What are the loading guidlines on Metro-North trains?

Via Garibaldi 8

I don't know what the specifics are but overcrowding on some trains was a result of the increased service implemented earlier in the year.  A train that at one time had 8 cars now has 6.  With that said, where there was three 8 car trains, there is now four 6 car trains as 2 cars were taken from each of the originals to make a new one.

As far as adding another train, there is barely enough equipment to go around now.

I don't know what the specifics are but overcrowding on some trains was a result of the increased service implemented earlier in the year.  A train that at one time had 8 cars now has 6.  With that said, where there was three 8 car trains, there is now four 6 car trains as 2 cars were taken from each of the originals to make a new one.

As far as adding another train, there is barely enough equipment to go around now.

That's crazy. So in order to add service they had to cut back on the number of cars??  Monday's are always crowded for obvious reasons, but it usually quiets down a bit as the week goes on, but if anything the trains have been more crowded that I've been on. lol

If memory serves me right, it's 75% "standard" weekends (non-holiday season no special events) and 95% rush hours. (weekday off peak is somewhere between the two I think)

Note that actual crowding is almost always going to seem much greater for two reasons: people want to avoid middle seats and sit as far forward as possible to exit faster at GCT. The first car almost definitely a sardine can.

If memory serves me right, it's 75% "standard" weekends (non-holiday season no special events) and 95% rush hours. (weekday off peak is somewhere between the two I think)

Note that actual crowding is almost always going to seem much greater for two reasons: people want to avoid middle seats and sit as far forward as possible to exit faster at GCT. The first car almost definitely a sardine can.

I'm including the loading conditions currently with all seats that can be filled.  The only seats that aren't used are where there simply isn't enough leg room for people to sit in front of each other, but everything else is filled to the brim, so none of that is going on.  Those commuter trains aren't really set up for people to be standing in the aisles, but it's getting close to that set up which is not good.  By the time I get on in either Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil, there are already people standing and unfortunately, there seems to be more standees left once we leave the Marble Hill station.

I'm including the loading conditions currently with all seats that can be filled.  The only seats that aren't used are where there simply isn't enough leg room for people to sit in front of each other, but everything else is filled to the brim, so none of that is going on.  Those commuter trains aren't really set up for people to be standing in the aisles, but it's getting close to that set up which is not good.  By the time I get on in either Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil, there are already people standing and unfortunately, there seems to be more standees left once we leave the Marble Hill station.

From what I understand it should be 110 - 101 seating capacity plus standing room added depending on railroad car type (3 square feet per standee) which can be lessened by time of day. (Rush hours 2.7 Sq Ft per standee.) . On the standee room it should almost be the same as NYC Transit guidelines. But this is an educated guess. 

That's crazy. So in order to add service they had to cut back on the number of cars??

Prior to the additional trains last April, during the rush hour the yards were empty. Maybe the thought was by adding another train or two would lessen the load on others. I can't say for sure. I do know for the service increase the trains had to come from somewhere.

Prior to the additional trains last April, during the rush hour the yards were empty. Maybe the thought was by adding another train or two would lessen the load on others. I can't say for sure. I do know for the service increase the trains had to come from somewhere.

LOL... I'd like to think that it is due to the inclement weather and/or holidays but I'm not sure if that's the case.  I see quite a few folks that switch between Metro-North and the express bus like me in the morning in Riverdale and I really would like to not use Metro-North but because of the time that I leave in the morning and traffic of late, it's either get up earlier and give myself an hour and a half to get in via the express bus or take Metro-North and stand which I hate.  Something else I've been noticing of late is more people actually using Metro-North just in the Bronx.  For example they'll get on in Marble Hill but then get off at 153rd street.  I believe the price for that is fairly cheap.  I rode from Riverdale to the Bronx (153rd street) for jury duty one day and at it was only $3.00 off peak. More folks may be catching on and riding as a result, as that is only $.50 more than the subway. lol

MNCR M7A's also have fewer end seats than the LIRR M7's and a lot fewer than the older equipment due to how they're configurated.  A typcial M7A pair only has 137 end-seats (as supposed to the 144 on the LIRR's M7's, the 175 end-seats on the M3/A's, and the 177 end-seats on the M1/A's).  In all, since the days of the M1's, Metro-North riders have lost 40 whole end-seats per pair.  On an eight car train that's 160 less end-seats!

I actually wonder why VG8 never vouched for or started a petition under Riverdalians to have the Poughkeepsie Express stop at Riverdale RR...

The two things that I am currently petitioning for are as follows:

-An additional BxM18 super express bus in the morning past 08:00 to allow those in Midtown and Downtown other quick options, as the BxM1 and BxM2 take too long.  The other option would be to restore the super express BxM1 that was cut out a few years ago and also explore HOV options on the Major Deegan.  Commutes via the express bus are just too long of late while the commute coming home can be half the time all due to traffic and there is no HOV lane currently on the Major Deegan.  This could alleviate some of the crowding on Metro-North.

-Cross honoring of Metro-North tickets in Riverdale for our express buses as the (1) train set up is utterly ridiculous and does not serve GCT or the East Side when the Hudson Line is knocked out.

These are two current transportation problems that I find rather annoying to say the least and now I've been speaking out about them to our local leaders.

-Cross honoring of Metro-North tickets in Riverdale for our express buses as the (1) train set up is utterly ridiculous and does not serve GCT or the East Side when the Hudson Line is knocked out.

Watch him close, folks, if they do take his advice, next time the Hudson Line gets knocked out and zillions of people are piling onto those express buses, he'll be right on here complaining....

Watch him close, folks, if they do take his advice, next time the Hudson Line gets knocked out and zillions of people are piling onto those express buses, he'll be right on here complaining....

Only for Riverdale as our two stations are bursting at the seams and could handle some of those Metro-North riders is the crowds were distributed between say the BxM1 and BxM18.  Folks in Westchester could continue to go to the Harlem line.

Only for Riverdale as our two stations are bursting at the seams and could handle some of those Metro-North riders is the crowds were distributed between say the BxM1 and BxM18.  Folks in Westchester could continue to go to the Harlem line.

Ahh, it's only for the almighty Riverdalians.  Everyone else can keep hiking it over to the Harlem.  How about the residents of Riverdale go to the Harlem too?

Ahh, it's only for the almighty Riverdalians.  Everyone else can keep hiking it over to the Harlem.  How about the residents of Riverdale go to the Harlem too?

No, it's about not having to waste resources to shuttle people around and pack them on the (1).  The people in Riverdale can simply walk to the express bus.  People in Westchester would have to be shuttled to the express bus.  This would help balance out loading guidelines and take some of the stress off of the Harlem line and the (1) line and if needed a few extra express buses could be added here and there, but you could cut back on the number of shuttle buses needed considerably.

Archived