Train Schedules to Change on the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Lines

Turbo19

mnr_timetable.jpg?itok=RSP9blZT\

New timetables that reflect the completion of major track work on Metro-North Railroad will go in effect on Saturday, January 18, 2014. 

With all four tracks in a six-mile stretch from Woodlawn to Melrose in service for the first time since the intensive upgrade began July 1, running times will be reduced.  As future infrastructure work is completed, additional improvements will be made.

In addition, track speed is increased by 15 miles per hour to 75 mile per hours on three of the four tracks in the area for the first time in five years representing significant progress on right-of-way improvements that improve reliability.

“The complete rebuilding of this section of track is a major milestone in our ongoing effort to improve safety system-wide,” said Metro-North President Howard Permut.  “We thank our customers for their patience during the past six months as we expedited these essential track repairs.”

Read More: Source

“Metro-North’s goal is always to provide safe, reliable service even while performing critical maintenance.  The recent track project in the Bronx reduced track capacity by up to 50%. With the completion of this major project, customers should notice improvements in the service,” Permut said.

Question... If they are short on cars, what sort of service improvements can we expect aside from slightly faster commutes? Permut seems to hint at service increases, but I could be wrong.

what sort of service improvements can we expect aside from slightly faster commutes?

To my knowledge, none, only faster commutes.  There will be a minute shaved off between stops here and there. 

For example, Monday night my last train from GCT to Southeast left GCT 8 minutes late (due to equipment problems), yet arrived at Southeast 2 minutes early.  And, no, he was not speeding, in fact with the powers to be running radar left and right he normally runs 1 or 2 MPH than allowed.

Now that the track work is done in the Bronx, if my engineer didn't run significantly slower than the MAS, we would be leaving stations early.  Hopefully this schedule change will fix this.

To my knowledge, none, only faster commutes.  There will be a minute shaved off between stops here and there. 

For example, Monday night my last train from GCT to Southeast left GCT 8 minutes late (due to equipment problems), yet arrived at Southeast 2 minutes early.  And, no, he was not speeding, in fact with the powers to be running radar left and right he normally runs 1 or 2 MPH than allowed.

Now that the track work is done in the Bronx, if my engineer didn't run significantly slower than the MAS, we would be leaving stations early.  Hopefully this schedule change will fix this.

Good to know... How long is the trip normally from Melrose from GCT during the weekends? I've been using the BxM4 express bus from the city and then walking about 15 minutes to get to my tutoring sessions which has not been fun since I arrive far too early and the current/Metro-North shuttle bus schedule doesn't allow me enough time to get to my session on time without an even longer wait.  With the trains set to resume stopping at Melrose in January, I can probably get in and out of there much quicker since the walking distance from that station is short... Just very desolate and ghetto over there, but I'll survive... I'm from South Brooklyn...  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The current schedule runs Nov 17 to Jan 5. Is there going to be a two week schedule to fill in the gap before the Jan 18 schedule goes into effect?

What, you didn't hear?  Metro-North will be taking a two week vacation in the beginning of 2014.  They figured with all of the trials and tribulations that befell them in 2013 it would be best for them to take two weeks and go to the mountains to relax and get ready for 2014.

What, you didn't hear?  Metro-North will be taking a two week vacation in the beginning of 2014.  They figured with all of the trials and tribulations that befell them in 2013 it would be best for them to take two weeks and go to the mountains to relax and get ready for 2014.

I guess they will take the bus.

Archived