Atlanta Battles Public Urination With Pee Detectors in Subways - Wired

realizm

marta-660x495.jpg
Image: Listener42/Flickr

BY KEITH BARRY12.26.131:51 PM

Atlanta’s public transit authority has begun installing $10,000 urine detectors to try to stop people from relieving themselves in subway elevators.

Apparently, MARTA — the eighth-largest public transit operator in the country — has a wee problem with public spaces doubling as urinals.

“If you've’ve ever been in a Porta Potty, that’s what it smelled like before,” Tom Beebe, MARTA’s own Director of Elevators and Escalators, told WSB-TV.

The new sensors alert police the moment someone begins relieving him or herself so an arrest can be made mid-stream.

WSB-TV reports that during a month-long pilot program at one station, police only caught one offender in the act. The goal is to install the detectors in 111 elevators at a total cost of over $1 million.

Alternatively, MARTA could start reopening more restrooms, the majority of which were closed in 2010 due to budget constraints. Those that remained open had limited hours and required an attendant with a key. Four more reopened recently with the installation of the urine detectors.

While no study has been done to show a relationship between closed restrooms and elevator urination, giving folks a place to pee legally at least eliminates the excuse that someone just couldn’t hold it in.

Studies do show, however, that clean, safe stations make public transit more attractive. Ensuring that riders don’t encounter puddles of bodily fluids is the least MARTA can do to convince people to park their cars and take the train.

Read more: Source

I heard about this one. Anyhow, in my honest opinion the funds used in this project would have likely been better used in the maintenance and reopening of existing restrooms within the system.

Of course no one should expect nothing better from MARTA, which has never once feigned consideration of the needs of passengers.

I'm wondering if the money crunch MARTA went through (shutting down most bathrooms in the process among other things) might have caused this problem in the first place? Its known that the operator receives very little state funding and relies heavily on fare collection revenue to keep the system running. 

They should simply just reopen more, renovate or build more bathrooms instead of just a few to legally cover themselves as they implement this piss poor program which only caught one offender anyway. Seems like a waste of money to me, long term.

As for the MTA, many people would be appalled as I was at the sight of a person dropping a deuce between the cars on a crowded (1) train.... 

I'm wondering if the money crunch MARTA went through (shutting down most bathrooms in the process among other things) might have caused this problem in the first place? Its known that the operator receives very little state funding and relies heavily on fare collection revenue to keep the system running. 

They should simply just reopen more, renovate or build more bathrooms instead of just a few to legally cover themselves as they implement this piss poor program which only caught one offender anyway. Seems like a waste of money to me, long term.

As for the MTA, many people would be appalled as I was at the sight of a person dropping a deuce between the cars on a crowded (1) train.... 

You know that this is just to spite passengers further. Why else would the agency impose this rather than actually open up the damn restrooms? These citations aren't helping MARTA's pocketbook at all. This is just poor a poor decision among many others like it that has trickled down from an unseasoned and otherwise oblivious leadership who have neglected crucial components for the longest time. I expect nothing better from them.

As for the latter point, I don't even want to...

This is the very common legitimate complaint I hear from commuters that are dependant on MARTA to get around. In general because of the apathetic and substandard leadership, passengers have to contend with 30 minute headways, constant delays often unexplained, terrible customer service and higher than norm incidences of mechanical breakdowns. I haven't heard of too many rapid transit systems from other states with complaints like this.

Wish the (MTA) could do this here... I avoid elevators in the system precisely for that reason.  I think the only elevator I've used over the years was the one at Yankee Stadium East 153rd street on the Hudson Line.  

I wish the same for Paris metro.

This is the very common legitimate complaint I hear from commuters that are dependant on MARTA to get around. In general because of the apathetic and substandard leadership, passengers have to contend with 30 minute headways, constant delays often unexplained, terrible customer service and higher than norm incidences of mechanical breakdowns. I haven't heard of too many rapid transit systems from other states with complaints like this.

I'm sure you are also aware of the intentional isolation of low income areas to higher income areas, which is why in most cases the low income areas are quite under served, leaving residents at the mercy of the shit service, as well leaving the higher income areas with no service to speak of in most cases, thus subjecting residents to find alternate means.

There is much supporting evidence this is in relation to a secret agenda, which is to racial segregate the Atlanta metro area. Ever heard the acronym, Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta? The whole premise is sickening.

I'm sure you are also aware of the intentional isolation of low income areas to higher income areas, which is why in most cases the low income areas are quite under served, leaving residents at the mercy of the shit service, as well leaving the higher income areas with no service to speak of in most cases, thus subjecting residents to find alternate means.

There is much supporting evidence this is in relation to a secret agenda, which is to racial segregate the Atlanta metro area. Ever heard the acronym, Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta? The whole premise is sickening.

Atlanta has a very scarred history where it comes to de facto racial segregation. This was actually one of the most direct reasons for the Civil Rights movement led by thinkers such as MLK. More so than many realize, as a major component of the movement actually came out of this city in the late 1950's. All carefully documented in the history books. This is why the tensions are still high to this day as you are seeing. 

Atlanta has a very scarred history where it comes to de facto racial segregation. This was actually one of the most direct reasons for the Civil Rights movement led by thinkers such as MLK. More so than many realize, as a major component of the movement actually came out of this city in the late 1950's. All carefully documented in the history books. This is why the tensions are still high to this day as you are seeing. 

The south in general is so pitiful when it comes to this, so much so it does interfere with all workings of a functional society, as evidenced here with transit as a public service.

MARTA - Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta (their unofficial nickname)

In any case, they could build all the bathrooms they want, but some people are just filthy. Perhaps this is the real issue.

Though it may be the case that shouldn't serve as ground to deny the use of restrooms as they are needed in the system to combat the issue of public urination.

Though it may be the case that shouldn't serve as ground to deny the use of restrooms as they are needed in the system to combat the issue of public urination.

It really does sound ridiculous if one thinks about it: Millions of dollars into these so called piss detectors when all they really have to do is open up the restrooms. Initially I loled hard when I saw the article and attributed it to overall stupidity, but now with all the other points highlighted thus far it really makes one wonder what in the world is really going on here. It quickly doesn't become funny anymore or restricted to a urination matter once people really peers into what is happening down south today. I didnt think this would happen but it seems the city is not progressing but to the contrary being pulled apart.

Well no, not to deny access... Some people just need to be reminded of etiquette.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

It really does sound ridiculous if one thinks about it: Millions of dollars into these so called piss detectors when all they really have to do is open up the restrooms. Initially I loled hard when I saw the article and attributed it to overall stupidity, but now with all the other points highlighted thus far it really makes one wonder what in the world is really going on here. It quickly doesn't become funny anymore or restricted to a urination matter once people really peers into what is happening down south today. I didnt think this would happen but it seems the city is not progressing but to the contrary being pulled apart.

Simply because I hate to lament further on these issues, which won't be fully eradicated anytime soon, I'll conclude here. Truthfully this is just the surface, and sadly there is much under it which is sure to fuel debates of every applicable emotion in the book.

Well no, not to deny access... Some people just need to be reminded of etiquette.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I can't say I agree with the premise, but whatever.

• 2 months later...

Archived