Transit Museum 1-11-14

Brighton Local

Not all the museum cars are stored in the museum, some are stored in the tunnels near the museum, and the rest are in yards. 

For example the R42 connection pair shown (4572-4573) are museum cars and were there to fill in when R1 100/R7A 1575/R4 484 were on the holiday train. Then the R1/R4/R7A returned and the R42 went back to 207th St Yard. There are the R40M pair @ Concourse Yard.

There are some BMT Standards and an R38 pair @ Pitkin.

This wonderful datasheet is done by our member Mysterious Friday 1986 (M. Friday 1986)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj-Jzxddn3v0dC1vaTZ4aEY0U0l2UjZGLUl5RWpUSGc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Not all the museum cars are stored in the museum, some are stored in the tunnels near the museum, and the rest are in yards. 

For example the R42 connection pair shown (4572-4573) are museum cars and were there to fill in when R1 100/R7A 1575/R4 484 were on the holiday train. Then the R1/R4/R7A returned and the R42 went back to 207th St Yard. There are the R40M pair @ Concourse Yard.

This wonderful datasheet is done by our member Mysterious Friday 1986 (M. Friday 1986)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj-Jzxddn3v0dC1vaTZ4aEY0U0l2UjZGLUl5RWpUSGc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Thanks for your reply. I thought the collection would be too large to keep in one place, but as i've never been there i had no idea.

For example the R42 connection pair shown (4572-4573) are museum cars and were there to fill in when R1 100/R7A 1575/R4 484 were on the holiday train. Then the R1/R4/R7A returned and the R42 went back to 207th St Yard. There are the R40M pair @ Concourse Yard.

Thanks for your reply. I thought the collection would be too large to keep in one place, but as i've never been there i had no idea.

Your welcome and you should check it out while you can.

Using Tapatalk

Great pictures, too bad those trains were never that clean when they were in service...

They were, when they were brand new over 40 years ago. :P With that said, spectacular shots Brighton Local.

They are nice photos!

I will say one thing.   The really old equipment (R1, B types, D types, etc.) were all restored as close to what they originally were like when in service.  The MTA managed to salvage parts from cars that were being scrapped (rattan seats, old straphangers and other fixtures).

The R44 here certainly wasn't restored.  It originally had the blue stripe and an original number plate should've been used (they were originally 100-399).  They removed the MTA New York Subway circular plate to reveal the original "MTA Transit" plate underneath, of course a sloppy job in doing it.

The R42 is in it's rebuilt state.  It too had a very broad turquoise stripe that extended into the fluted steel and the original doors had

much lower windows that matched heightwise with the low windows.  Those low windows made for some quite uncomfortable low seat backing originally. Interiors were different shades of aqua/turquoise.  Most of the TA fleet used these interior colors late 60's, early 70's.

The original large roll signs with orignal large letters and route colors would make these cars.

It's as if they don't really care on the newer stainless steel equipment.

Great pictures, too bad those trains were never that clean when they were in service...

These cars, atleast the R42's were nice when they were new, but then came the mid-70's and they were totally covered in graffiti.. inside and outside.  The MTA went through a neglectful period where trains were not only graffiti covered but dirty with litter too.

Archived