Late Night R Train Shuttle

MTA Dude

The (R) train runs between Bay Ridge-95th Street and 36th Street during late nights. But just one question. Why does it run express between 59th Street and 36th Street? From the track maps, it looks like it is possible to terminate on local track and end up on local track. Also, doesn't the "level junction" at 59th street create conjestion sometimes? I mean, the  (N) and  (R) cross each other.

Before trains go to the relay, the train must be cleared which can take awhile. Plus with the (D) joining the local track at 36 St, (R) shuttle trains can cause both the (D)(N) to be delayed. Having the (R) use the Manhattan bound exp track aviods congestion with the (D)(N). The (N)(R) dont arrive at 59 St at the same time during late nights. Plus with long headways, there is little to no congestion.

Almost every weeknight for the past several months, the R shuttle has been cut back to 59th-95th only.  You can wait up to 40 minutes for an N local train in Manhattan (trust me, I've had it happen) then wait 19 minutes for the R shuttle to Bay Ridge since it leaves just ahead of the N.  Obviously everyone is asleep at the 59th St tower to not hold the R shuttle for one minute.

Ironically, late night R riders can rejoice at a service increase and a far quicker commute during the N/Q/R FASTTRACK this week (June 2- 6, where the R shuttle runs from 36th-95th to connect with the D so you can avoid the delayed N) and during the complete shutdown of the R shuttle during the 36th-95th FASTTRACK the week of June 16-20, where buses will presumedly actually wait for connecting passengers at 36th St instead of taking off a minute before their train pulls in.

That's not 59 St tower, it's Murphy Tower, and it's named after the law.

where buses will presumedly actually wait for connecting passengers at 36th St instead of taking off a minute before their train pulls in.

You have waaaaay too much faith.......

Almost every weeknight for the past several months, the R shuttle has been cut back to 59th-95th only.  You can wait up to 40 minutes for an N local train in Manhattan (trust me, I've had it happen) then wait 19 minutes for the R shuttle to Bay Ridge since it leaves just ahead of the N.  Obviously everyone is asleep at the 59th St tower to not hold the R shuttle for one minute.

Ironically, late night R riders can rejoice at a service increase and a far quicker commute during the N/Q/R FASTTRACK this week (June 2- 6, where the R shuttle runs from 36th-95th to connect with the D so you can avoid the delayed N) and during the complete shutdown of the R shuttle during the 36th-95th FASTTRACK the week of June 16-20, where buses will presumedly actually wait for connecting passengers at 36th St instead of taking off a minute before their train pulls in.

This is exactly why Bay Ridge needs later X27 service during weekends and late nights. The last one currently to Bay Ridge is 00:30, but during the weekends, residents complain that service ends far too early, and I agree.  I would have the X27 run until 00:30 back to Bay Ridge on Saturdays and 00:00 on Sundays.

• 2 months later...

Archived