Future of the XBL?

BZGuy

I've been thinking about this topic for awhile. Does anybody see a future for the XBL if the ridership keeps rising and more and more buses start using the XBL. Most mornings is backed up by 8am and its a good 20 min delay just to get into the lane not counting the stop and go nature of the lane itself. Until recently ShortLine,Monsey Trails and Monroe buses were the only line run guys fighting the car lanes to get to Weehawken to enter the center tube that way but now I'm seeing more and more NJT guys not waiting and following us in. If more people get hip to the game does that mean no more XBL? Discuss.......

The problem with a PM XBL is that the way 495 is set up there is no way to get the buses onto the turnpike or Rt.3 unless they completely redo the eastern end of 495. And there is no money or motivation to do it.

The problem with a PM XBL is that the way 495 is set up there is no way to get the buses onto the turnpike or Rt.3 unless they completely redo the eastern end of 495. And there is no money or motivation to do it.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. With the way Christie has handled money for projects for the past few years, specifically transit projects, I doubt it too, which is a shame, to say the very least.

I've been thinking about this topic for awhile. Does anybody see a future for the XBL if the ridership keeps rising and more and more buses start using the XBL. Most mornings is backed up by 8am and its a good 20 min delay just to get into the lane not counting the stop and go nature of the lane itself. Until recently ShortLine,Monsey Trails and Monroe buses were the only line run guys fighting the car lanes to get to Weehawken to enter the center tube that way but now I'm seeing more and more NJT guys not waiting and following us in. If more people get hip to the game does that mean no more XBL? Discuss.......

I've noticed that too, especially around the 8:00 hour like you mentioned.  The XBL will not be going anywhere, but I can envision Transit and other bus carriers advising operators to use the regular lanes as an alternative - or more precisely, the Union City/Weehawken routing - during the "peak of the peak" so to speak.  What the Port Authority can do as a short term fix is set up the left lane of eastbound 495 as a second XBL - buses would be able to access it from the same way as they currently access the XBL (the "mercy" exit for wayward motorists and the "exit of shame" for buses that missed the closing of the XBL).  All they'd have to do is set up cones like they do with the regular XBL.  In conjunction, they'd have to ban single occupant vehicles during those hours.  Of course, that would NEVER happen...

Archived