NJ Transit puts off planned November expansion of one-seat ride on Raritan Valley Line

DaTransitMan4608

This was a thing?

Yes, yes it was. A very looked-forward to thing I might add. Being required to transfer at Newark Penn from an RVL train to an NYP train is troublesome to say the least, especially for older folk who tend to patron the RVL. With the purchase of dual mode locomotives, the hope is to gradually implement direct service. The first phase of mid-day, off peak service has been fairly popular, and the upcoming expansion of direct service to evening hours was very anticipated.

What I do find interesting from a movement scheduling standpoint is that it would be much easier to schedule direct RVL trains on the weekend, when NEC frequencies are much lower. I suppose the ridership studies didn't warrant such a service expansion, so they decided to implement mid-day weekday direct service first, but who knows.

The problem with weekend service is that one Amtrak tunnel is closed due to flood damage from Sandy, that's why there is not enough room in the schedule to allow RVL trains into NYP on weekends

That was not an issue pre-Sandy, when the plans were drawn up for direct service. And last I checked, Amtrak has not yet started to regularly close down one hudson tube on weekends for Sandy repairs.

• 2 months later...

those are actually NJCL trains.

in penn station and newark they used the net color code. Beside they don't go to njcl and turn around. they go south of the split toward metro park turn around. also some Rahway train used the arrow train while njcl don't have one set of them. 

not true. njcl use 4xxx number on weekend. also njcl to hob use 2xxx number. so the rahway it still consider NEC

don't believe me look at the schedule yourself. 

Let's get our facts straightened out, shall we?

Once again on weekdays, the NJCL trains to/from Long Branch use the 32xx number. There ARE a number of 35xx trains (also weekdays); those are ALSO NJCL trains that terminate/originate from South Amboy. There is also a 34xx train that terminates at Matawan during the evening peak. As far as I can tell from the schedule, there are NO week day short turns at Rahway.

On the weekend, however, there are some short turn trains originating / terminating at Rahway; those trains are numbered 76xx.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0070.pdf - NEC

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0080.pdf - NJCL

Scan through the schedules yourself in case I've missed something.

Archived