WATCHDOG: Neighborhoods Want A Bus Shelter (East Farmingdale)

Several calls and emails later, the answer came: Babylon Town has jurisdiction for the bus stop and is taking steps to determine if a shelter can be installed.

It's not a simple task.

The town itself doesn't install shelters and instead has a contract with a company, Signal Outdoor Advertising LLC, that constructs and maintains the structures, according to town spokesman Kevin Bonner. The company and the town determine where shelters will be located, he said, and the company is permitted to sell advertising on the sides. The town gets a share of the revenue.

The town's Planning Department is asking the company "to examine constructing a bus shelter at the location," Bonner wrote in an email.

Once the company completes that step, "we plan to discuss this location early next year with NYS Senator-elect Michael Venditto, who will represent this area, to secure the necessary NYS approvals to proceed."
We had already heard from Nassau County Transportation Planner Lowell F. Wolf that, regardless of who has jurisdiction for the site, state approval would be necessary because Conklin Street is a state road.
Wolf, one of the officials we spoke with in the search for bus stop jurisdiction, said state approval may hinge on clearing a logistical hurdle: The sidewalk along Conklin isn't wide enough for a bus shelter to meet requirements of the Americans With Disabilities Act, so permission from adjacent property owners would be necessary before the sidewalk could be extended.

All of this means it's never going to happen!  There are too many party involved and the last quote is the killer...  Are they going to reconstruct the intersection to put a sidewalk big enough to accommodate the sidewalk?  No!

Healy pointed out that the bus stop is just across Route 110 from Airport Plaza shopping center. "They want people to work there," she said, but potential workers could find the bus stop discouraging because "they have no decent place to wait for a bus."

HAHAHA!  I call BS!  I doubt someone is going to turn down a job because they don't like the amenities of the near by bus stop!

All of this means it's never going to happen!  There are too many party involved and the last quote is the killer...  Are they going to reconstruct the intersection to put a sidewalk big enough to accommodate the sidewalk?  No!

HAHAHA!  I call BS!  I doubt someone is going to turn down a job because they don't like the amenities of the near by bus stop!

The ridiculous thing is that the 72 buses that terminate at 110 go right through the mall to turn around but don't service it with a bus stop. A lot of those people that have to stand on Conklin with no shelter might be those who walk to & from the mall for the bus.

The ridiculous thing is that the 72 buses that terminate at 110 go right through the mall to turn around but don't service it with a bus stop. A lot of those people that have to stand on Conklin with no shelter might be those who walk to & from the mall for the bus.

That's an interesting point..  Maybe NICE should contact the plaza owners and have the bus start/terminate at Airport Plaza.  Do you know if the plaza has been against a stop in the plaza in the past?  It would be less dangerous for those wanting to get a Northbound S1, not having to cross 110 and Conklin...

That's an interesting point..  Maybe NICE should contact the plaza owners and have the bus start/terminate at Airport Plaza.  Do you know if the plaza has been against a stop in the plaza in the past?  It would be less dangerous for those wanting to get a Northbound S1, not having to cross 110 and Conklin...

That intersection is bad design because crosswalk is only on south side of Conklin St, crossing Route 110 and I had to cross it because there was no other crosswalk, so I had to cross Conklin St from SE corner to SW Corner to get to S1 Halesite bus stop when I was headed to MTA Fare Hike Meeting in Melville, NY.

I actually e-mailed a reply to Newsday's article regarding the fact that the buses don't serve the mall. Their reply was that they would follow up to it in 2015. I have brought this up a long time ago to LIB when they were there & was given the usual answer-"maybe the mall doesn't want the buses in there". What else is new?

I actually e-mailed a reply to Newsday's article regarding the fact that the buses don't serve the mall. Their reply was that they would follow up to it in 2015. I have brought this up a long time ago to LIB when they were there & was given the usual answer-"maybe the mall doesn't want the buses in there". What else is new?

I could see their concerns liability wise, if a car gets hit by a bus the owner is going to go after the plaza's insurance.  However you see school buses parked in their all day on their mid day breaks so the plaza must not be too concerned with the liability if the let Atlantic Express buses parked there considering the majority of AE's fleet (before the new blue birds came in) looked as if they hit everything in sight. lol  

There's room in there for a pretty nice bus area....  Like many property owner/managers they probably don't want unsavory "bus people" hanging around the parking lot...  Maybe if the bus area was in a secluded area of the plaza?

Archived