MTA suspends motorman for breaking rule to help trainee spitting blood

Q113 LTD

OH NO!!! The train had passengers and the trainee was in a critical condition. Plus I'm pretty sure it is dangerous to run on train tracks with someone in your hands.

Actually, that's what he should have done minus carrying the guy. If he couldn't raise command center, go find a phone.

If you can't raise command center on the radio, you must use a wayside phone to to receive permission to pass a red automatic signal. Depending on track occupancy ahead, there are different amounts of time you must wait before calling command. By rule, you cannot give yourself permission to pass any red signal, no matter what.

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize those wayside phones were still in use anymore. I wonder if the (MTA) doesn't feel overly compelled to deal with the radio dead zones since the phones are there as a back up. 

Actually yeah, maybe you are right. If he can get out the train to turn the switch, he can run to get help.

INDman works in transit, so I'm quite sure he knows what he is talking about lol. 

Archived