Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, goliver28 said:

My Safgard account works now. There's a bunch of shoes that I see on the website. Does it really matter which one I get?

I got the Cats and they're def comfortable. Was gonna originally go with the Timbs, but they're insulated, so that would've sucked in the summer. 

Hey everyone first time reading and posting here, so forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere. I have my OPA scheduled for the 13th of this month but I'm a little unsure of the time frame for this hiring process. My invitation form states upon passing I will be "immediately" processed for consideration and submit to a drug and medical screening. But I've seen posts from people waiting months before they hear back about their OPA results. What are the steps and a realistic time frame from taking the OPA to starting classes? Thank you in advance to anyone who responds, much appreciated.

58 minutes ago, goliver28 said:

Caterpillar Men's Steel Toe EH WP Hiker?

Yes those. Lots of guys wearing those. I've been wearing that brand since before this job for at least the last 12 years. It's good stuff. This particular model has a junk insole though. You might want to buy a Nice gel insole from Amazon or something to replace.

23 hours ago, goliver28 said:

Well it says light blue buttoned down shirt with a collar and dark blue pants, slacks, or khakis. It doesn’t matter where you buy it from.

Don't use khakis. You'll never hear the end of it at school car. I know it says it. Don't do it.

And regardless of today's styling choices, don't wear slim fit or skinny anything. You're climbing trains, you don't need clothing restricting your movement.

As for no backpacks, I remember seeing that someplace also. That's not true. You need a backpack. They don't want anything with straps that can get caught in doors or rails. If you bring a backpack with straps they going to show you how to carry it properly and they're going to check that you're doing so when you're walking on the tracks. Some prefer a duffel bag.

23 hours ago, goliver28 said:

Well it says light blue buttoned down shirt with a collar and dark blue pants, slacks, or khakis. It doesn’t matter where you buy it from.

Edit removed, double post 

Edited by Milano

J..take the OPA. From my understanding MTA plans on getting to everyone on the list through list #10xxx. I took my OPA in February and my list number is 8xxxx. MTA called people off our list to hire for transit cleaner for the list numbers MTA knew they wouldn’t have a chance at being called for conductor. Don’t be discouraged. Go for it.

3 hours ago, AG77 said:

Hey everyone first time reading and posting here, so forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere. I have my OPA scheduled for the 13th of this month but I'm a little unsure of the time frame for this hiring process. My invitation form states upon passing I will be "immediately" processed for consideration and submit to a drug and medical screening. But I've seen posts from people waiting months before they hear back about their OPA results. What are the steps and a realistic time frame from taking the OPA to starting classes? Thank you in advance to anyone who responds, much appreciated.

My list numbers 719*. I did my OPA on June 2nd 2022. Did my first drug test December 6, 2022. If you are not hired in 90 days, you will have to go back again. My second drug test was March 16, 2023. I got called in for my medical and sworn in on April 3, 2023 for April 10th class. I hear that this current list will expire on 2/14/2024.

6 hours ago, goliver28 said:

If backpacks aren’t allowed, does that mean there’s nothing required for us to bring that can’t fit in our pockets?

get a bag thats a backpack duffle hybrid, either a kaka bag or a baosha one, because you will have equipment youll need to carry on you at all times

Also, I recommend not eating the day of the medical as it may spike your blood sugar and other similar events, tough it out for the day thats what I did

2 hours ago, B2B said:

My list numbers 719*. I did my OPA on June 2nd 2022. Did my first drug test December 6, 2022. If you are not hired in 90 days, you will have to go back again. My second drug test was March 16, 2023. I got called in for my medical and sworn in on April 3, 2023 for April 10th class. I hear that this current list will expire on 2/14/2024.

correct 2/14/24 is the expiration date as by then the test list wouldve been active for 6 years

Edited by Comrade96
typo

3 hours ago, DaVon said:

J..take the OPA. From my understanding MTA plans on getting to everyone on the list through list #10xxx. I took my OPA in February and my list number is 8xxxx. MTA called people off our list to hire for transit cleaner for the list numbers MTA knew they wouldn’t have a chance at being called for conductor. Don’t be discouraged. Go for it.

theyll be lucky if they get up to the late 7000s tbh, let alone the 10000s

9 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

get a bag thats a backpack duffle hybrid, either a kaka bag or a baosha one, because you will have equipment youll need to carry on you at all times

Also, I recommend not eating the day of the medical as it may spike your blood sugar and other similar events, tough it out for the day thats what I did

That’s what I figured about the backpack situation. Thank you because I have to order this quickly before next week comes. 

I did medical last week. I’m already fasting for Ramadan so i already didn’t eat and toughed it out.

1 minute ago, goliver28 said:

That’s what I figured about the backpack situation. Thank you because I have to order this quickly before next week comes. 

I did medical last week. I’m already fasting for Ramadan so i already didn’t eat and toughed it out.

I regret the kaka backpack out of  school. It's large with many large pockets. Would have been better large with medium and small pockets. 🤷‍♂️. If you get that one, keep it clean so you can sell it to the next class!

1 minute ago, Milano said:

I regret the kaka backpack out of  school. It's large with many large pockets. Would have been better large with medium and small pockets. 🤷‍♂️. If you get that one, keep it clean so you can sell it to the next class!

I dont mind mine tbh

11 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

Hi! Would a regular sized book bag work? If you don’t mind can you give some insight on the type of equipment we will be carrying? Thank you. 

16 minutes ago, Shalayne said:

Hi! Would a regular sized book bag work? If you don’t mind can you give some insight on the type of equipment we will be carrying? Thank you. 

regular bookbags arent allowed as you cant wear them when youre crossing tracks which you will be doing a lot of in schoolcar, either a duffle bag or a backpack duffle hybrid

Radios, flashlights, keys, that sort of thing plus your lunches schoolcar books etc

43 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

regular bookbags arent allowed as you cant wear them when youre crossing tracks which you will be doing a lot of in schoolcar, either a duffle bag or a backpack duffle hybrid

Radios, flashlights, keys, that sort of thing plus your lunches schoolcar books etc

Thank you!!! I am going to order one of the two bags suggested. 

11 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

I thought I read somewhere a lot of people opt for tactical backpacks? Is that more for after, when you graduate from training?

4 minutes ago, alexx said:

I thought I read somewhere a lot of people opt for tactical backpacks? Is that more for after, when you graduate from training?

I personally havent heard anything about that so I cant comment but transit frowns upon bookbags esp if youre new

39 minutes ago, goliver28 said:

This whole backpack thing just has me lost lol. Do they expect us to buy a proper bag or do we not NEED to bring a bag with us? 

You'll need a bag. There's several items you need to carry every day.