Need help in locating a subway stop

SubaruWRX

They were built years and years ago, and they didn't care as much back then. Also, a lot of stations did have crossovers, but some of them were closed for safety reasons during the bad old days.

One of the TA's worst decisions, IMO. It's one thing to gate off a passageway like 14th St or the massive Herald Square walkway (still a mistake), but service on countless stations (Lex IRT comes first to mind) is permanently worse thanks to the decision to block off so many station crossunders. God knows what a nightmare it must be for tourists.

Question for the crossovers what or how is it decided that some stations get them and some don't?

Lots of reasons. Northern Blvd doesn't have a crossover because the local tracks are directly under the street, leaving no room for a mezzanine where there could be a crossover. A crossunder is infeasable since the express tracks are directly beneath the station before turning west under Northern. (the local tracks continue along broadway). To build the entire complex one level deeper and leave room for a mezz would have been difficult due to the high water table in that part of Queens. 

Why 46 street doesn't have one is somewhat of a mystery. 46 st lies a little downhill of northern blvd as it stands, I presume the grade to go one level deeper and allow a mezzanine would have been too steep. Also, when the station was built, this wasn't a very populous area. 

The mezz at Steinway is even a bit dicey. There's no full-length mezzanine. At the south end of the platform, there's a crossover, but it's not full-height. The platform ceilings are partially lowered here to make room for the fare control. I think this mostly has to do with topography and water table. 

Cross UNDERS at low-traffic stations were often closed as the secluded areas became hotbeds of crime and home to vagrants in the 80s

Is that the reason why the 56 St exit of the Northern Boulevard station is closed?

Before the advent of HEET turnstyles, and metrocards, when every entrance needed an attendant most times - at lower-traffic stations the lesser entrances were often closed. 

46 street, which currently has entry-exit at 46 and 48 street has evidence of a 47 street entrance that used to be there, but has since been removed. 

Sorry I'm a little under the weather.. what I did was I took the (6) to 51st Street and transfer over to the (M) at Lex & 59th street. I got off at Queens Plaza just to take a break and holy cow the (R) was packed!! Good call on picking the (M) hardly much of anything going on, got off at my stop and it was maybe about 2,000 Ft away.

Archived