Roof hatch vent?

B3 Via Av U

I've noticed that on the RTS fleet, the roof hatch has a label instructing a person to "PUSH UP FOR VENTILATION". I've done this a few times when the AC was off/not working, but I have 2 questions about it...

1. Most buses on the fleet (ie the XD40) have a hatch but no instruction to push up for a vent. Does this functionality still exist on those buses, or will I make a fool out of myself for trying?

2. Do B/Os typically have a problem with people doing this?

Thanks! :)

I've noticed that on the RTS fleet, the roof hatch has a label instructing a person to "PUSH UP FOR VENTILATION". I've done this a few times when the AC was off/not working, but I have 2 questions about it...

1. Most buses on the fleet (ie the XD40) have a hatch but no instruction to push up for a vent. Does this functionality still exist on those buses, or will I make a fool out of myself for trying?

They all work similarly.  The best idea is to tip the front vent to direct the air inwards and the back vent directing it outwards -- so the front edge of the front vent is up into the airflow as the bus drives, and the back vent's rear edge is up to create the suction.  Most operators that have been around awhile (when A/C units didn't always work) open them on warm days, and I've yet to see any of them get upset if a customer pushes them open.

Back in the old GMC RTS days, when the windows were solid pane designed only to open for emergencies, the hatch vents were all you had, especially if the A/C wasn't working.

Depends on the B/O. I've gotten yelled at a couple times, but most don't really care. If the HVAC is functioning terribly, I don't see what the issue is. It's more than RTSes that have it--O7s of all variety, D60s, etc. I don't know about the brand new buses but definitely through 2010.

All of the (local) buses currently running (save for the 4700s and 4800s...they have that difficult to open glass vent in the back lol) use the 5-position (front, left, back, right, up) ventilation hatch, and the one in the back doubles as an emergency exit. The front ones (if applicable, depends on the bus model) is normally just a vent hatch only.

...I think the newer MCIs use the same vent, and I know for sure the Prevosts use it as well.

All of the (local) buses currently running (save for the 4700s and 4800s...they have that difficult to open glass vent in the back lol) use the 5-position (front, left, back, right, up) ventilation hatch, and the one in the back doubles as an emergency exit. The front ones (if applicable, depends on the bus model) is normally just a vent hatch only.

...I think the newer MCIs use the same vent, and I know for sure the Prevosts use it as well.

haha yes, the few times I've been on one of the 4xxx Xcelsiors I've seen the glass hatch and wondered "how the hell do I use that thing" lol

I've never noticed front hatches on any buses except the RTSes, next time I'm riding I'll pay closer attention. Thanks for the reply :)

Archived