ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

5 minutes ago, NewOP718 said:

Cool. How soon into Training do newbies leave the classroom setting? Is there alot of yard time. Also, any suggestions on shoes, bags, lunches etc.

you can get the KAKA bag everyone gets, sure, be part of the tribe.
But I highly suggest you don't get it.  trust me.....no one cares you use your straps in the yard, and if a TSS tells you do take off your bag.....you can just hold it by the straps.  The KAKA is nice for camping and stuff, but you really don't need to spend $$$ on that.  just find a bag that you can fit all ur tools and the 58 books they give you.  
food....drinks.  well.
beer.  beer helps a lot. hard liqour helps even more.
but we can't drink during on duty so I suggest don't do this!!!
as far as food.....you guys will get lunch breaks where you can go out to enjoy lunch with ur fellow class warriors.
so you don't have to worry about bringing food during school car.
of course on some certain days you will be on the train the whole day, so packing peanuts or snacks is good to always have in your bag.  ur TSS teachers will tell you if you'll be on the train the whole day the day before usually

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

I wouldn't switch what I have now for anything on the temporary vacancy list. That's a sucker bet.

For the rest of you that are XX, there maybe some hidden gems out there.

Unless one has some inside info 😉

5 hours ago, NewOP718 said:

Cool. How soon into Training do newbies leave the classroom setting? Is there alot of yard time. Also, any suggestions on shoes, bags, lunches etc.

I’m not to familiar with current schoolcar curriculum, so I can’t say how long you’ll be in the classroom only. You will have a lot of yard time, that’s where you’ll learn about the trains and how they work. 

Shoes: You’ll receive information on how to order TA approved footwear via safgard. 

Bags: You can get any bag that you’re comfortable with carrying approximately 30lbs worth of gear & books. It can have straps, but when you’re on the tracks you will be told you can’t have it on your back, so make sure it has a handle. Sounds like a dumb rule, but it is written in blood. No roller bags, doesn’t matter what you see with the senior people. 

Lunch: Depending on your financial situation; bringing your own food is very beneficial. You’ll gain a lot of weight down here if you only buy lunch on location, and it’ll be pretty taxing on your pockets. Of course - if you’re like me, you can try food from all over the city here and there. I always found a way to get some trini food whenever I went to Lefferts blvd. Definitely bring snacks.

Transportation: Don’t drive everywhere in the beginning, it’ll be very beneficial for you to learn how to navigate the system via train, especially if you haven’t really traveled to certain boroughs. 

Flu season & Covid: Protect yourself and your classmates / TSS’ how you see fit. Boost your immune system by eating properly. You’re going to be in enclosed spaces with your class & instructors. If you feel sick or anything of that sort; wear a mask as a courtesy. During schoolcar, my entire class, instructors included, caught a bad case of the flu and it sucked. 

Misc: Be careful of the advice you hear from other employees. Study the rulebook so you know how to cover yourself. The crew room lawyers won’t be there to defend you if you get sent down for discipline.

Edited by Jay-Oh
Wording

8 hours ago, NewOP718 said:

You're always in the yard when you're in the classroom part of the training. After about 3 months you won't be in classrooms anymore. The classrooms are in the yards. 

6 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

I wouldn't switch what I have now for anything on the temporary vacancy list. That's a sucker bet.

There are some permanents too just not that many in this first bids sheet. 

10 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

yes anything is better.  this whole job itself is one big sucker bet.  so we do have nothing to lose at this point

On 12/3/2022 at 4:13 AM, trackerjack said:

you can get the KAKA bag everyone gets, sure, be part of the tribe.
But I highly suggest you don't get it.  trust me.....no one cares you use your straps in the yard, and if a TSS tells you do take off your bag.....you can just hold it by the straps.  The KAKA is nice for camping and stuff, but you really don't need to spend $$$ on that.  just find a bag that you can fit all ur tools and the 58 books they give you.  
food....drinks.  well.
beer.  beer helps a lot. hard liqour helps even more.
but we can't drink during on duty so I suggest don't do this!!!
as far as food.....you guys will get lunch breaks where you can go out to enjoy lunch with ur fellow class warriors.
so you don't have to worry about bringing food during school car.
of course on some certain days you will be on the train the whole day, so packing peanuts or snacks is good to always have in your bag.  ur TSS teachers will tell you if you'll be on the train the whole day the day before usually

This was very helpful. When you say straps, you mean like a backpack. I’m assuming they’re not allowed but it’s a gray area.

20 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

I’m not to familiar with current schoolcar curriculum, so I can’t say how long you’ll be in the classroom only. You will have a lot of yard time, that’s where you’ll learn about the trains and how they work. 

Shoes: You’ll receive information on how to order TA approved footwear via safgard. 

Bags: You can get any bag that you’re comfortable with carrying approximately 30lbs worth of gear & books. It can have straps, but when you’re on the tracks you will be told you can’t have it on your back, so make sure it has a handle. Sounds like a dumb rule, but it is written in blood. No roller bags, doesn’t matter what you see with the senior people. 

Lunch: Depending on your financial situation; bringing your own food is very beneficial. You’ll gain a lot of weight down here if you only buy lunch on location, and it’ll be pretty taxing on your pockets. Of course - if you’re like me, you can try food from all over the city here and there. I always found a way to get some trini food whenever I went to Lefferts blvd. Definitely bring snacks.

Transportation: Don’t drive everywhere in the beginning, it’ll be very beneficial for you to learn how to navigate the system via train, especially if you haven’t really traveled to certain boroughs. 

Flu season & Covid: Protect yourself and your classmates / TSS’ how you see fit. Boost your immune system by eating properly. You’re going to be in enclosed spaces with your class & instructors. If you feel sick or anything of that sort; wear a mask as a courtesy. During schoolcar, my entire class, instructors included, caught a bad case of the flu and it sucked. 

Misc: Be careful of the advice you hear from other employees. Study the rulebook so you know how to cover yourself. The crew room lawyers won’t be there to defend you if you get sent down for discipline.

Great Advice. Thank you. With regards to driving, I’ve driven all over the city AND a know the trains well from working in different neighborhoods. You’re not the 1st person to suggest not driving. From what I understand, depending on your route/train you can begin in one place and end your shift in another correct? Or does transit pay us to travel back to the station we originally started. Can you fill me in on this, am I making sense.

3 hours ago, NewOP718 said:

Great Advice. Thank you. With regards to driving, I’ve driven all over the city AND a know the trains well from working in different neighborhoods. You’re not the 1st person to suggest not driving. From what I understand, depending on your route/train you can begin in one place and end your shift in another correct? Or does transit pay us to travel back to the station we originally started. Can you fill me in on this, am I making sense.

During Schoolcar you will usually start and end at the same location, same for YX and road posting. When you get released to the crew office, you’ll get assigned jobs that start at one terminal and end on the other. However, you can mitigate this and spot your car if you look up the job & applicable general orders (service change) in advance. Generally you will know your assignment 1-2 days in advance - well, it’s supposed to be 2 days, but the crew office can be slow with the assignments sometimes. 

Depending on the job deadhead will be built into it or you’ll have to put in an overtime sheet to get it. Deadhead basically will pay you for the travel time between two locations if you end somewhere other than your start location. Sometimes this works out in your favor; sometimes it doesn’t. The deadhead time paid will generally always be less than your actual travel time though, because it’s based on an idealized schedule where there’s no train traffic or disruptions of any kind. You’ll become very familiar with it during XX due to the days on board. You cannot get paid deadhead and get paid to travel back to your start location at the same time (double dipping).

4 hours ago, NewOP718 said:

This was very helpful. When you say straps, you mean like a backpack. I’m assuming they’re not allowed but it’s a gray area.

If you go strictly by the rule; the back straps needs to be able to be removable, otherwise they’re technically not allowed at all. However, it is a gray area in a sense that people down here don’t really follow that rule by the letter. 
I tell new people to be fully aware of any rules you’re breaking, because at any point a brand new supervisor/manager can say that you can’t bring your backpack onto the tracks, and you can’t really argue it since there’s a bulletin out on it. (91-20 for those of you curious.)

1 hour ago, Jay-Oh said:

During Schoolcar you will usually start and end at the same location, same for YX and road posting. When you get released to the crew office, you’ll get assigned jobs that start at one terminal and end on the other. However, you can mitigate this and spot your car if you look up the job & applicable general orders (service change) in advance. Generally you will know your assignment 1-2 days in advance - well, it’s supposed to be 2 days, but the crew office can be slow with the assignments sometimes. 

Depending on the job deadhead will be built into it or you’ll have to put in an overtime sheet to get it. Deadhead basically will pay you for the travel time between two locations if you end somewhere other than your start location. Sometimes this works out in your favor; sometimes it doesn’t. The deadhead time paid will generally always be less than your actual travel time though, because it’s based on an idealized schedule where there’s no train traffic or disruptions of any kind. You’ll become very familiar with it during XX due to the days on board. You cannot get paid deadhead and get paid to travel back to your start location at the same time (double dipping).

In road posting you can end at a different location. I've posted on jobs that started at CCY and cleared at stillwell, or started at Pitkin and ended at 207th. And they didn't even want to pay me deadhead...eventually I got it after I pulled out the bulletin. I had one job in YX that started at Broad and ended at ENY too. 

43 minutes ago, TOSironi said:

In road posting you can end at a different location. I've posted on jobs that started at CCY and cleared at stillwell, or started at Pitkin and ended at 207th. And they didn't even want to pay me deadhead...eventually I got it after I pulled out the bulletin. I had one job in YX that started at Broad and ended at ENY too. 

Yeah that’s why I said “usually”. 
Most of the time for road posting, they want you to do ‘full jobs’ instead of trip & a half or whatever the case is. The reasoning is that you get more experience if you do 2 full trips vs 1.5. However; because not everyone takes students - you ended up working the trip & a half jobs. 

Regarding Broad & ENY; you’re not going to drive and park at Broad St anyway. Switching at Broad guarantees a clear at ENY, so for that job it’s better to spot your car at ENY beforehand.

Edited by Jay-Oh

Recently spoke to Olha in regards to going to medical she stated they've only reached 5100's and my list number is 52xx last time i was there for pre employment and drug testing was 9/2. My 90 days is almost up and i haven't heard nothing back. She stated hopefully i should get a call back before Xmas. Has anyone else done their medical yet?

2 hours ago, Nyhoneydip said:

Recently spoke to Olha in regards to going to medical she stated they've only reached 5100's and my list number is 52xx last time i was there for pre employment and drug testing was 9/2. My 90 days is almost up and i haven't heard nothing back. She stated hopefully i should get a call back before Xmas. Has anyone else done their medical yet?

so odd because someone who recently got in told me in a 3 month span he did pre employment drug test then a month later he did medical and the month after that he started on the job. Does anyone know if  they skip over numbers?

44 minutes ago, Brivera0529 said:

so odd because someone who recently got in told me in a 3 month span he did pre employment drug test then a month later he did medical and the month after that he started on the job. Does anyone know if  they skip over numbers?

like i keep saying.  Transit will do whatever they want, whenever they can, however they wish, and whereever they please. 
why? because believe or not....they really are a bunch of  ***unbelievably negative comment CENSORED***.

Now....the reason you're looking for is very technical and makes 100% total sense.  because this happened in our induction. where there were a few TOs with LIST # in the hundreds and 1000s compared to some of us in the deep 2000s.
basically those who had a lower LIST number postponed coming into Transit for whatever reason.... and they finally wanted to re-join the hiring process.....so they "bump" them up.  essentially "cutting" the line.  
so it could be LIST # 5000, 5001, 5002, 3500, 5003 and so on and so forth.  
so they don't "SKIP" you......they are just "bumping" you.  cuz the guy who had a lower list number had always held his spot.  

as someone on this thread said.....just live your life.  Better live it good NOW cuz, believe me, you won't be able to once you ***negative comment CENSORED***.
just wait for that call.......you will be called when you least expect it!!
Rumors has it that this is it.....and they will close the LIST after this year.  but other rumors says that Transit will still be hiring until SEPT 2023
so....i dunno....pick your poison????

18 hours ago, NewOP718 said:

bookbag with straps......yes - backpacks. don't worry.  no one will care young padawan :)
and if ur told to take off your bag when you cross the tracks......just take it off.....and hold onto the straps like a toolbag.  
when you do YX and u see a TSS on patrol  (WHOOP WHOOP!! its the sound of the PO-LICE!!!) - you can just hold your bag like a toolbag, no problemo.

2 hours ago, trackerjack said:

like i keep saying.  Transit will do whatever they want, whenever they can, however they wish, and whereever they please. 
why? because believe or not....they really are a bunch of  ***unbelievably negative comment CENSORED***.

Now....the reason you're looking for is very technical and makes 100% total sense.  because this happened in our induction. where there were a few TOs with LIST # in the hundreds and 1000s compared to some of us in the deep 2000s.
basically those who had a lower LIST number postponed coming into Transit for whatever reason.... and they finally wanted to re-join the hiring process.....so they "bump" them up.  essentially "cutting" the line.  
so it could be LIST # 5000, 5001, 5002, 3500, 5003 and so on and so forth.  
so they don't "SKIP" you......they are just "bumping" you.  cuz the guy who had a lower list number had always held his spot.  

as someone on this thread said.....just live your life.  Better live it good NOW cuz, believe me, you won't be able to once you ***negative comment CENSORED***.
just wait for that call.......you will be called when you least expect it!!
Rumors has it that this is it.....and they will close the LIST after this year.  but other rumors says that Transit will still be hiring until SEPT 2023
so....i dunno....pick your poison????

Wow skipping over people 😳 and you're right I'm just nervous when they past my 90 days what happens 🤷🏽‍♀️ i gotta stop thinking about it and just wait it out 

3 hours ago, Brivera0529 said:

Yes some ppl go through the process quicker than others but that's not always the case. A lot of us are still waiting 

20 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

This was really helpful. Seems like something I’d better understand as it’s happening. I can see why they say not to drive. Better to park my car somewhere neutral. Overtime is calculated daily (if applicable) correct?

20 minutes ago, NewOP718 said:

This was really helpful. Seems like something I’d better understand as it’s happening. I can see why they say not to drive. Better to park my car somewhere neutral. Overtime is calculated daily (if applicable) correct?

Yes overtime is anything over 8 hrs for the day.