What's your pet peeve in mass transit?

MassTransitHonchkrow

In tune with the current exhibit at the transit museum, I think it's still up because disregard is still so fresh. What are your thoughts on fare evasion? While it's stealing and technically against the law, operators let it slide.

I was on a S79 to Bay Ridge [#4692] and the operator let four lost boys aboard. What if those kids were trafficking something, even themselves? I've been at Walmarts where kids think its not only OK to steal, but to put it in someone else's bag.

I was livid.

When the fare goes up to $3, then what?

ad2a5cedf92ffd3fc9f99bc3593f244a.jpg

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

In tune with the current exhibit at the transit museum, I think it's still up because disregard is still so fresh. What are your thoughts on fare evasion? While it's stealing and technically against the law, operators let it slide.

I was on a S79 to Bay Ridge [#4692] and the operator let four lost boys aboard. What if those kids were trafficking something, even themselves? I've been at Walmarts where kids think its not only OK to steal, but to put it in someone else's bag.

I was livid.

When the fare goes up to $3, then what?

ad2a5cedf92ffd3fc9f99bc3593f244a.jpg

I think you're being way more paranoid than you really should be.

First off, if they're "lost boys" as you referred to them, they probably don't have money on them for the ride home or something and the operator gave them a courtesy ride... this situation has happened to me a few times as well.

And second, just because the driver let them on doesn't mean they're thieves or they're carrying drugs on them... Like I said above, they probably had to get home and the driver, being a nice person, understood that and let them ride.

Not everything in the world is bad... at least give them the benefit of the doubt.

Unless of course, they entered through the back. If that's the case, then there's not much the driver can do about it. I don't think they'd want to delay their bus (or risk their lives if it's some crazy guy with a weapon) just to get someone off their bus. On some Bronx routes, you've got at least 7 people at the major stops getting on through the back, and you really can't control that.

First off, if they're "lost boys" as you referred to them, they probably don't have money on them for the ride home or something and the operator gave them a courtesy ride... this situation has happened to me a few times as well.

And second, just because the driver let them on doesn't mean they're thieves or they're carrying drugs on them... Like I said above, they probably had to get home and the driver, being a nice person, understood that and let them ride.

Not everything in the world is bad... at least give them the benefit of the doubt.

Unless of course, they entered through the back. If that's the case, then there's not much the driver can do about it. I don't think they'd want to delay their bus (or risk their lives if it's some crazy guy with a weapon) just to get someone off their bus. On some Bronx routes, you've got at least 7 people at the major stops getting on through the back, and you really can't control that.

In reality, I could care less about what they were doing. I mostly stay silent through a majority of fare evasion examples.

The benefit of the doubt can only go so far. It enables a bad habit and it makes operators who are more stringent vulnerable to retaliation if they put their foot down.

I see all sorts of things that shouldn't happen. But I'd be wasting my energy calling on it all.

I just responded to a post regarding dollar vans. If the fare keeps going up NYC bus operators are going to see decreased business and more churn...

There's too many "courtesy rides" being given out for people in general, and I too am sick of it.  I saw a kid getting on along Henry Hudson Parkway trying to get a free ride on the local bus. The driver refused and the kid got off and walked.  If you can't afford to get home on your own dime, don't go hanging out then.  I'm sure he had money for drinks and snacks and all that but can't pay $2.75.  Just goes back to people feeling entitled...

There's too many "courtesy rides" being given out for people in general, and I too am sick of it. I saw a kid getting on along Henry Hudson Parkway trying to get a free ride on the local bus. The driver refused and the kid got off and walked. If you can't afford to get home on your own dime, don't go hanging out then. I'm sure he had money for drinks and snacks and all that but can't pay $2.75. Just goes back to people feeling entitled...

And to add to that, I'm poorer than people realize. I just know how to say no, and better yet, be humble. I don't need to be trotting 'round town with $150 Air Jordans. :\

And I'm not being sticklish when I say you shouldn't. I'm genuinely concerned of the impact this has on op morale & mental welfare.

I would hate getting sucker punched just because I drew the line along my job...

• 4 months later...

I hate it when:

1) Passengers play music through loudspeakers (I shouldn't have my own headphone music be drowned out)

2) Passengers refuse to move all the way into the car to make space for those who need to fit on board 

3) Commuters try to board before letting everyone alight

• 2 years later...

Archived