DOB New Hire FAQ

SevenEleven

21 hours ago, +Young+ said:

They still need to go through the 10-Day Training Session regardless.

As far as the DMV road test, if you already have your Class B CDL with a Passenger Endorsement, you do not need to take the road test.

If you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Oh Also, I saw someone said that if they have CDL already they need to pass the air brake test called ALPS... something I forgot. Thanks.  

8 hours ago, ryguy said:

Thanks. So,no road test for CDL holders, what about the pre-trip and the air brake test. Can you talk about a little about Day 7 qualification day. 

Ever since I got demoted from the Moderator position, I have not been keeping up to snuff with what others have been posting. Therefore, I'm going to let someone else "chime" in who has been recently through this.

8 hours ago, ryguy said:

Oh Also, I saw someone said that if they have CDL already they need to pass the air brake test called ALPS... something I forgot. Thanks.  

A = Air leakage rate test (hold service brake down, should not lose more than 3 psi in one minute)

L = Low Air warning signal check (pump brake until approximately 60 psi, should hear and see warning devices)

S = Spring Brake check (pump brake until approximately 30 psi, parking brake should pop out)

A = Air compressor cut-off check (start engine, air compressor should cut-off at approximately 120 psi, do wrap-around while this is taking place. Step on the gas pedal to speed this up if necessary)

P = Parking Brake check (put vehicle in gear without pushing in parking brake, vehicle should not move)

S = Service Brake check (push in parking brake, move vehicle 50 feet, service brake should work)

(psi = pounds per square inch)

If you want to watch a video of this, check out the first five minutes of this YouTube video. In addition, if you play around with YouTube, it is a similar procedure for the big School Buses that have Air Brakes.

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+
Addition

13 hours ago, ryguy said:

ALPS is the same as the brake test during in-cab portion of the CDL road test.  

12 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Ever since I got demoted from the Moderator position, I have not been keeping up to snuff with what others have been posting. Therefore, I'm going to let someone else "chime" in who has been recently through this.

A = Air leakage rate test (hold service brake down, should not lose more than 3 psi in one minute)

L = Low Air warning signal check (pump brake until approximately 60 psi, should hear and see warning devices)

S = Spring Brake check (pump brake until approximately 30 psi, parking brake should pop out)

A = Air compressor cut-off check (start engine, air compressor should cut-off at approximately 120 psi, do wrap-around while this is taking place. Step on the gas pedal to speed this up if necessary)

P = Parking Brake check (put vehicle in gear without pushing in parking brake, vehicle should not move)

S = Service Brake check (push in parking brake, move vehicle 50 feet, service brake should work)

(psi = pounds per square inch)

If you want to watch a video of this, check out the first five minutes of this YouTube video. In addition, if you play around with YouTube, it is a similar procedure for the big School Buses that have Air Brakes.

Good luck!!

Thank you for taking your time to share this :)